• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

We went today all Thomas land rides closed at half 5 with just the Carousel, Bounty, Accelerator, Jolly Buccaneer and both Vikings rides open to 7pm.
We went to see Santa and the whole experience lasted 35 mins and the gingerbread men was a nice touch and ate it with my hot chocolate.
Didn’t get on any rides to nearly 5pm but got on
Toby’s Tram express
Diesels Locomotive Mayhem
Bertie Bus
Lady’s Carousel
Sodar cars
Winston's Whistlestop Tours
Rocking Bulstrode
Within the last half hour.
No update at the top end of the park but Maelstrom queue line coming on nicely
9199AD1C-09FC-4334-BB79-6D95807F8C0D.jpeg151C25C6-D00B-4ACD-86FB-0747371CAE1D.jpeg
The theming on Excalibur lake don’t look that bad for something that’s been untouched for over 10 years
F4B7630B-B721-4848-B04C-1825A30D62C4.jpeg
Took the train to the Zoo and the gate was open. Is that old Shockwave seats in the skip?
93F130CF-9111-4E4F-8525-D8447E72040F.jpeg
Ah I see you've invested in a camera that isn't a potato! No but in all seriousness you've got some good shots there. Still not that much to see, but it's definitely nice to see what they're up to.

Went for a few hours this morning. 9am opening, although rides didn’t start until 10 or 10:30 (that bit not mentioned on website).

Was relatively busy (in comparison to other Christmas weekends) which is good to see.

Lots of marking between James’ balloon and Toby - each had a metal stud in the ground so definitely something going on…

Peeled through where I think they could build next (the under construction doors in Thomas Land) but nothing to see beyond some old benches.

Last day of ride operations for a few months now!

Why do DMP persist with such early park vs late ride openings?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
They've done it for as long as I can remember. I'm guessing, although I don't know, that the theory is they get guests in the park to spend money and the rides open a bit later. But inevitably what actually happens is people go and wait near there favourite ride.

All of this year in the main season, the park gates we're opening and letting people into the park between 10 and 10.15am. Meaning rides were almost open as soon as you went into the park.

So this is not a thing for the main park in the main season anymore, I do not think. Unclear why they have reverted back to old ways for the Xmas event.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Every other day hasn’t had this happen - Christmas Eve opened early (9am) but closed early too (4pm). But ride opening didn’t move for the earlier opening.

My only guess is to allow more Grotto slots - nothing else (apart from Zoo) was open - the arcade and food places all shut until 10am.

All of this year in the main season, the park gates we're opening and letting people into the park between 10 and 10.15am. Meaning rides were almost open as soon as you went into the park.

So this is not a thing for the main park in the main season anymore, I do not think. Unclear why they have reverted back to old ways for the Xmas event.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk
Interesting, I was under the impression they still did it during the main season, it really does seem Looping group are taking the park in a very different direction.

Why do DMP persist with such early park vs late ride openings?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
It’s so parents with Kids under 3 can go to the park for opening and leave around 12/1 so their kids can have lunch and have an afternoon nap.
With my son now been 3 I always give them their dinner at 12 then we get to the park roughly half 1 and leave when the park closes at 5.
With the 7pm closes maybe they testing to see how many non Thomas land guests stay after 5 before they bring in 7 or 8pm ride time closures in the summer months.

3298faa944997016883a86dfa05ba1c4.jpg

This you @Themeparksandy1981 ? I’m guessing that you’ve probably clocked up a fair few visits over the season and made the most of your annual pass.

3298faa944997016883a86dfa05ba1c4.jpg

This you @Themeparksandy1981 ? I’m guessing that you’ve probably clocked up a fair few visits over the season and made the most of your annual pass.
Even my own wife asked if it was me. Just checked when I took pictures at the park and I counted 27 visits in the last 12 months. So could be roughly 30 visits in 2022.
Costing me £99 based on 30 visits works out to be £3.33 per visit.
Shame the theme park not open to the start of the Feb Half term event could go to a couple of the zoo days before then.

Last edited:
One thing I wondered, with the hour plus queue for Apocalypse on its final day do you think it's response might have taken the park by surprise and thought maybe this is a mistake? There was nowhere near the same queues for Pandemonium on its last day I don't think people were as bothered. I know it wasn't pre announced but I doubt people would have been as bothered about G Force too. The park was sold out on Apocalypse's final day and had an hour plus queue all day. I'm also a bit surprised more work hasn't already started on the site, it seems like they have cleared the ride and then left it like they did with Pandemonium the year before. I would have thought that site would have been full construction from closure if it is to be the big project we're expecting? What are peoples thoughts?

Lots of marking between James’ balloon and Toby - each had a metal stud in the ground so definitely something going on…

They'll be survey nails. Doesn't mean something exotic though, could be as boring as new pipe work going in.

With Adventure Cove not sure when that project started as we were in lockdown and the outdoor attractions wasn’t allowed to open to April 2021 with the Vikings area ground work started end of Oct 2021 and was fully finished 7 months later.
Now the park is closed with all staff been given to the 3rd Jan off and with the theme park closed to Feb Half term they can crack on with the maintenance of the Thomas land rides and get the new Thomas land ride/rides ready for Easter.
With the history of Drayton’s rollercoasters

Shockwave as the supports were installed during the construction of Splash Canyon. The coaster construction and station building started at the end of the 1993 season and just over 4 months later it opened on the 26th March 1994

G-Force the Klondike Gold mine was removed as well as the tea cups next door at the end of the 2004 with G-Force opening 26th July 2005

Ben 10 Sombrero and the bandstand was removed at the end of the 2010 season with Ben 10 opening 21st April 2011

So really with the history of Drayton’s rollercoaster construction time lines they could easily start April 2023 and that can easily give them 12 months.