• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

Went to the park Monday got the highest Score of the day on sheriff showdown and I have noticed there is extra theming on Thomas and Percy’s submarine splash and took a nice photo of accelerator

I don’t feel the new themeing of the ride fits into the area.

It looks like it’s been shoe horned into the area, and the theme doesn't match. Unless they’re planning on changing all the faces on the character in the area.

I don’t feel the new themeing of the ride fits into the area.

It looks like it’s been shoe horned into the area, and the theme doesn't match. Unless they’re planning on changing all the faces on the character in the area.
wouldnt be the first time thomas has had 3 different faces since 2008 percy and rosie 2 as far as ik

Where are we going today on this construction tour of Drayton Manor Park. Let me think...….
We have plenty to see, hmm where to today, Apocalypse? Ben 10? Excalibur: A Dragons Tale?, or maybe even Cyclone................not today.

I will however, show you all of those soon.

Today, we will be looking at:
Golden Nuggets Wild West Shootout.photo-1058.jpg

Opening in 2000, this ride featured as part of a quadruple investment that Drayton Manor Park made for that season. The quadruple investment consisted of an Intamin Giant Drop tower in the form of Apocalypse, Golden Nuggets, Robinsons Children's Corner and The Popeye Show.

Space Leisure (previously Goldings attraction design) created the master design and all scenery and theming for the attraction, alongside doing all the theming and scenery for Apocalypse. This company are no strangers to Drayton Manor Park, they had been commissioned for a huge bulk of Drayton Manor's themed entertainment in years gone by. Past projects included what Golden Nuggets was replacing, The Jungle Palladium. But it also included larger projects such as Pirate Adventure, Splash Canyon, Shockwave and even a revamp of their now gone Jungle Cruise attraction. Plus more!

Jungle Palladium was an animatronic show, think of it like a rip off of Disney attractions America sings and Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room. In any case, the time for this attraction was up, so in the 1999 season, a sign appeared outside the Jungle Palladium announcing what was to come. To see images of what Jungle Palladium was, see this Facebook page from Euro Theme Park Archive. The page is open to all, so you do not need to register to view the photos. I am not affiliated with those guys and their amazing work by the way. I just have a lot to show for the theme park that is quite literally up the road from me, Drayton Manor. The audio for Jungle Palladium can be listened to here if you are interested. The internal shots and the ride vehicle shots within this write up are supplied by I.E park and used with permission.
toonsign2_2499792950_o.jpg

At this time a sponsor / IP for the ride had not been secured. The attraction design does suggest this was a last minute thing, as the only reference to Nestle' Golden Nuggets was the sign on the frontage of the ride. The rest of the attraction was a generic wild west theme. What I have confirmed through speaking with people within the Bryan family (after being told by an enthusiast myself), was that Space Leisure pitched two themes for this ride to Drayton Manor Park. The first one was going to be a spooky wild west theme to tie it into another Space Leisure attraction next door, The Haunting. The second being the theme we ended up with today and clearly the theme Drayton Manor Park decided to go with in the form of a generic but cartoony wild west theme. The working title of 'Toonstone' is a relic from this spooky themed wild west attraction that was never to be, with the word itself being a play on words from the word Tombstone. With toon referring to the almost cartoony aesthetic of the scenery within.

The gun system was provided by Space Leisure, but licensed from technology in the United States. This allowed Space Leisure to integrate the shooting of targets into triggering effects throughout the attraction. Something that made the attraction truly interactive.

A few weeks after the sign above appeared, in late summer 1999, the following sign appeared signalling the closure of the attraction.
toonsign1_2499792864_o.jpg

Space Leisure recommissioned the animatronics from Jungle Palladium into two shows for the park. The first being a show in the Cedar Cantina, the chip shop that closed a while ago and was recently demolished as part of next years project. The second being inside the Lakeside Teashop, which was redressed once again to a medieval theme in 2003 once Excalibur: A Dragons Tale opened. But has since been closed for many years. Here is a few picture of the animatronics eithers, some of the photos were taken part way through the refurbishment and can be seen in workshops in the photos.
Collage Maker-10-Jun-2023-03-16-AM-3309.jpg

After the closure, the rip out was quick to start as can be seen by the assortment of junk inside what will become part of Golden Nuggets station.
toon2_2499792778_o.jpg

The green warehouse which can be seen at the back of this next photo, still stands to this day and houses the main ride for Golden Nugget's (now Sheriffs Showdown. The frontage was completely replaced though and it is in this new frontage that part of the queue line, station, maintenance garage and first scene of the attraction would be housed.
toon3a_2499792372_o.jpg

After a few months of construction the frontage was gone and the new one well underway. Here we can see all three things mentioned in the previous photo. The queue line is to the left inside the new part of the frontage building (with the outdoor being the whole front of the building. The two doors are for the ride vehicles, the smaller one being into the maintenance shed and the large one is where the vehicles transition from the station into the first scene of the ride. Which as mentioned before, is housed in the the new section of the frontage, that can be seen built out of concrete bricks.
toon4_2499792238_o.jpg

The large doorway seen above, many months later, nearing the end of construction.
photo-11068.jpg

While all this was going on, I.E park were testing the ride vehicles over in Italy. This track here, is actual track from the ride, the layout is identical and is still in the actual ride today. This part of the layout is just past the midway point of the ride, just after you pass the large saloon on your right and just before you do the turnaround back towards the station side of the building. The saloon can be seen in photos in part 2.
Immagine-018-1707x1280.jpg

A few months later, the exterior had come on quite a bit, and resembled something recognisable today.
toon6_2498964499_o.jpg

I've hit my 10 photo upload limit, I will try to make these 10 photos or less, as I do not want to annoy anyone. But I have so much to show and say, it is kind of hard. Join me below as we venture inside the building to see photos from inside, during the final construction phase of Golden Nuggets.

Last edited:
Part 2:

While all that was going on, I.E park were busy preparing to ship the vehicle's and track to Drayton Manor Park. Here is one of the vehicle's at I.E parks factory in Italy, almost ready for shipping.
DSC06676.jpg

This next section we will take a part tour of the attraction, when it was nearing completion, all photos are in the order as the scenes appear in the attraction.

This is the first scene of Golden Nuggets, everything in this photo is completely housed within the concrete brick section in the external shot as mentioned in the post above. This is the view you are still met with to this day when entering the ride from the station through the doors shown above.
photo-4061.jpg

This next photo is the final part of the first scene. All contained within the 'new' part of the frontage. This is right before the ride opens up into one large scene, through doorways seen in the next photo after this one. The door way marks the transition from the new concrete block section of the ride as seen in the external photo above, to the green warehouse left over from and what used to house the main Jungle Palladium attraction. Also seen in the photos above.
photo-12069.jpg

Moving on inside the ride, the above photo is taken immediately behind where the Space Leisure scenic workers are standing in this photo below. This is looking back towards the start of the ride. A view not usually seen by riders of the attraction.
DMP-CAR-2.jpg

Turn to your right 90 degrees from the photo above, you will be met with this image below. Notice all the work tools as final touches are put into place on the attraction. The track layout shown in the post above, is from the far right of this photo, in the very corner of the ride.
photo-7064.jpg

Turning right once again by 90 degrees, you are facing the direction the cars travel and you will be met with this image below, still looking very similar today.
photo-3060.jpg

Next you have the saloon, complete with scenic painters putting final touches on the ride.
photo-10067.jpg

Another shot of the saloon, the track in the first post, is immediately to the left of this phot.
photo-6063.jpg

Here we have the main control panel for the ride, not much has changed today, it is a very basic affair.
photo-8065.jpg

While all this was going on, the outside was also nearing completion.
toon8_2499791548_o.jpg

I have a few more photos, but the are all outside shots, all the juicy stuff is posted. I do not want to feel like I am taking the mickey by posting multiple posts at the same time. So I think that will do for this attraction.

I hope you have enjoyed these and enjoyed this bit of history. Where will be going next on this whistle stop construction tour of Drayton Manor? We will see!

Until next time....

Last edited:
Thank you for the update and some of the pictures I had seen before but there’s lots I never seen. The 3rd investment for that year was the indoor theatre which is now the 4D Cinema and featured the popeye show.

I forgot about that, Robinsons Children's Corner was also new for that year. Making it a quadruple investment year.

Write up's about attractions and rides like this is why I have previously totally disagreed with people when they have said Drayton are trying to be the Paulton's of the north.

No. It is more like the other way around.

Drayton were adding high quality attractions two or even three decades ago. Their investments may have dwindled at some point, but the high levels of high quality investments from decades gone by, that are still on the park today, provide a huge foundation and cement Drayton Manor still to this day as one of the market leaders in my opinion. Paulton's is great, really great in fact, but they have some way to go to be on the same level as Drayton Manor in the family market. I feel with looping's now at the helm, competition might heat up between the two. But Drayton will probably hold the lead due to the 3 decades of head start it has had. My oppinion may be bias somewhat, but that is what I think.

In any case, competition is great for all parties. It is exciting times.

Found these guys who do a lot of work for the park and clearly show a Vekoma boomerang...

That's the new coaster mystery solved

George and Vera Bryan from 1990 to 2002 really added some top rides at the park then they kind of wasted a lot of money
2003 Excalibur on paper the ride could have worked but been outside it’s no surprise it only lasted 8 years.
Cyclone was an excellent ride but the locals forced it to close.
2004 Pandemonium now I don’t understand why they removed the sky flyer as I felt that was a better ride and the sky flyer is still running with Pandemonium been recycled.
2005 G force I feel with the Barnstormer coaster been cancelled they rushed into buying this coaster.
2006 Drunken Barrels it’s a good ride but in the wrong part of the park with it very rarely getting a big queue and now it opens later and closes earlier on none busy days
2007 The Bounty was an excellent pirate ship and the best 1 I been on in the uk.
2008 Thomas land the best overall area the Bryan’s ever invested in and is still going strong 15 years later.
2009 4D cinema was a great investment when it 1st opened as it showed 3 different movies over the year.
Then really over the last 10 years they owned the park there was more rides removed than added outside Thomas land but I have faith in the looping group if they can pull this new coaster off and add the rumoured sit down drop tower then I can’t see why they can’t be the best non merlin park in the uk.
The events they added this season have been great and my daughter can’t wait to go to the Summer nights event with select rides open to 9pm every Saturday from the 1st July to 26th August.

Last edited:
George and Vera Bryan from 1990 to 2002 really added some top rides at the park then they kind of wasted a lot of money
2003 Excalibur on paper the ride could have worked but been outside it’s no surprise it only lasted 8 years.
Cyclone was an excellent ride but the locals forced it to close.
2004 Pandemonium now I don’t understand why they removed the sky flyer as I felt that was a better ride and the sky flyer is still running with Pandemonium been recycled.
2005 G force I feel with the Barnstormer coaster been cancelled they rushed into buying this coaster.
2006 Drunken Barrels it’s a good ride but in the wrong part of the park with it very rarely getting a big queue and now it opens later and closes earlier on none busy days
2007 The Bounty was an excellent pirate ship and the best 1 I been on in the uk.
2008 Thomas land the best overall area the Bryan’s ever invested in and is still going strong 15 years later.
2009 4D cinema was a great investment when it 1st opened as it showed 3 different movies over the year.
Then really over the last 10 years they owned the park there was more rides removed than added outside Thomas land but I have faith in the looping group if they can pull this new coaster off and add the rumoured sit down drop tower then I can’t see why they can’t be the best non merlin park in the uk.
The events they added this season have been great and my daughter can’t wait to go to the Summer nights event with select rides open to 9pm every Saturday from the 1st July to 26th August.

All of those investments were made by Colin. He was the MD of the park from the 70's. He was the ultimate decision maker up until past 2010.

All of those investments were made by Colin. He was the MD of the park from the 70's. He was the ultimate decision maker up until past 2010.
They would have had a big say on the funding of the rides and attractions as both were active directors up to George’s death in September 2013 then Vera sadly passed away 4 weeks later.
I only spoke to George once when he was in the canteen restaurant that was replaced with the grill he was so proud of the park and he showed me plans for the hotel as originally it was gonna only have 86 rooms but the success of Thomas land they decided on a 150 room hotel instead.
Colin as I was the final owner of Drayton Manor Plus Colin loved our website and forum and let us in the park for free to take construction photos. The last big project we did was Ben 10. I still continued to talk to Colin and William over the years and I last spoke to Colin during the Christmas event in 2019 and the vision his parents had to August 2020 that Drayton Manor will always be affordable for families.
I found this on line:
And on Drayton Manor it says this:
Any proposal for major development within Drayton Manor Park will need to be considered on a comprehensive basis in the context of a planning brief and masterplan for the whole site. The council will consider applications for development at Drayton Manor Park favourably, where:
 Such development would upgrade and improve the viability of the attraction;
 They address the potential for wet woodland and grassland restoration and re-creation;
 They are appropriate to its function as a major tourism destination;
 Make a positive contribution to the local economy;
 They are acceptable taking into account its location within the Green Belt; and
 They are compatible with the local infrastructure network.

So that’s why the Pegasus group have listed a 5 year plan and Lichfield council are happy as long as they build on land that been developed on before which would explain the planning application for the hotel and the outdoor drive in movie theatre they wanted to install.

I doubt it. A family RMC would be so pointless and not worthwhile for Drayton. They would be better sticking with tried and tested of the family thrill coaster market like Vekoma and Mack.

I could see Blackpool getting a single rail RMC one day. It's just how long we will have to wait. Next 3 years seems unlikely given how long they wait between major investments these days.

Don't see how Towers build an RMC tbh without a look of digging down. They could have a launched one I suppose but it wouldn't be that great without the iconic RMC first drop would it?

From: https://twitter.com/ChessingtonBuzz/status/1667246207897423901?s=20

Posting this here for discussion. If what Chessington Buzz says is true; we know Thorpe are getting a Mack, I find it unlikely that an RMC would be going in the shed for project horizon, intamin seems more likely for that…. Is there a chance Drayton could be getting a family RMC model?

I still think Thorpe will get an RMC in the next few years, they have plenty of space behind The Swarm.

Still think Drayton will get a Vekoma or Intamin launched coaster

From: https://twitter.com/ChessingtonBuzz/status/1667246207897423901?s=20

Posting this here for discussion. If what Chessington Buzz says is true; we know Thorpe are getting a Mack, I find it unlikely that an RMC would be going in the shed for project horizon, intamin seems more likely for that…. Is there a chance Drayton could be getting a family RMC model?

RMC isn't out of the question for Project Horizon, given what they are currently building at Silver Dollar City.
I have heard Intamin mentioned a few times in relation to rumours for Drayton.