• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

The Bryan’s got planning permission from 2020 onwards to built on the green belt land which Vikings is now on and the area where the coaster is going was granted in 2013 as they wanted to built a hotel there.

I'm quite enjoying all the mystery around Drayton new coaster (and project horizon). Feels like the first UK projects in a long while were we don't know 90% of the project years before they open.

Weird how this and Horizon are both in such a way

Here we are, back with more photos from the past.

First off, we have a photo taken from near where the fish and chip shop stands today, looking over towards Pirate Adventure. This view looks similar today, although with some key differences. The arcade on the left is still in place today. The building was rethemed in 1999 when it became Fisherman's Wharf, alongside the mammoth addition of Storm Force 10. You can make out the dodgems, which stand in the same place today and the queue for Jungle cruise (Now Castle Bar). Eagle eyed viewers may also be able to spot The Crypt. The tower on the building to the left, is still there today, but themed to more of a lighthouse. Underneath this tower, was one of the main wristband and ticket points in the whole park. The booth windows still stand to to this day, albeit blocked up. Also viewable in this photo, is the old entrance to what is now the Burger Kitchen, then called Buccaneer Burger Bar, the entrance being the back end of a large galleon ship. Now replaced with a more generic entrance..BP311473_result.jpg

This photo is taken from where Bounty stands today. Looking towards the Castle Bar and the building that is now Fun Foods can be seen on the far right.
BP516292_result.jpg

Here we can see the miniature railway and the main lake. The whole site had much more foliage back then. The route is roughly the same as that of the Polperro Express today. This would be the sharp turnaround area today that the train takes. The area to the immediate right of this photo would be the turn around / tunnel area for River Rapids. The land across the lake, occupied by cars, is Vikings land today.
preview_BL386767_result.jpg

Colin and George Bryan, sitting in an area now occupied for next years new coaster. The only thing remaining in this photo in some form or another, is the building on the far right, this is the building just before the entrance to the Haunting, if you was walking up past Accelerator.
BP516323_result.jpg

A family enjoying lunch in what is now Vikings Land, Tower Ballroom and the entrance tower can be seen in the background. Jormungandr also occupied part of the back of this photo.
preview_BP324018_result.jpg

As always, enjoyyyy!!!

Last edited:
Today we will be looking at the construction of Maelstrom, the parks Intamin Gyro Swing. Opening on Wednesday April 17th 2002, by then massive pop group Hear'Say. The ride has been a popular favorite among guests every since.

The 17 meter tall, 32 seater gyro swing, is the smaller of the Intamin models, but with a swing height of 120 degrees, still packs a mighty punch! With a theoretical capacity of 720 people per hour, it is one of the highest capacity attractions at Drayton Manor. When in full swing, the gondola will reach a height of 26 meters.

Some of these were posted before, but I recently found some higher resolution ones, than what were posted before and I thought were lost. There will be more to come from other attractions, in higher resolution than I previously posted. This may spill into 2 posts due to the 10 photo per post limit, lets see how it goes.

Anyway, onto the photos!

A local farm was used to assemble critical pieces such as the gearbox assembly, before being hoisted into place on the ride site.
94_2498881317_o.jpg

The main gearbox before assembly, the main arm for the gondola attaches onto the bottom piece of this.
maelstroms-gear-system_2498882011_o.jpg

A closer look at the large axel that will keep the whole gearbox assembly attached to the masts.
maelstrom-installation_2499708802_o.jpg

Engineers move the main gear of the ride so that work can take place on it.
maelstroms-gear-system_2499709406_o.jpg

Engineers work on the main gear.
maelstroms-gear-system_2499709566_o.jpg

The main gear box assembly ready for installation on site, part of the roof was removed to hoist the gearbox onto a truck, from within the shed.
maelstroms-gear-system_2499709922_o.jpg

Another photo taken at the same time, from a different angle.
maelstrom-installation_2498881121_o.jpg

Meanwhile, on site, footer work was nearing completion.
gs4_2499703176_o.jpg

First lorry arrives with the support columns for Maelstrom.
maelstrom-installation_2499700888_o.jpg

Another photo of the lorry arriving on site.
gs3_2498874783_o.jpg

Part 2 below.

Last edited:
Part 2.

The support columns ready for installtion.
maelstrom-installation_2499708060_o.jpg

A crane lifts one of the a frame support structures into place.
maelstrom-installation_2499705986_o.jpg

A close up from higher up.
maelstrom-installation_2498879611_o.jpg

Starting to look more familiar now.
maelstrom-installation_2499708688_o.jpg

More to come soon from different attractions, enjoy these for now :)

I've had these lying around for so long. I have no clue who to source. Thank you non the less! I managed to find and get working a many years old hard drive. With plenty of treasures within! Permission was given to share though. I do remember that..

Last edited:
Been looking at that construction wall picture and there’s a darker circle on both walls
019B8AC3-F06A-49D5-BE0E-1E0AD97C7176.png
Could that be part of Mack rides Logo
21BD5E00-4630-4E8F-83F8-7441CBBFC5F6.png

So there is..maybe! What we do know, is there are clues hidden within that wall as to the ride/ theme. I would love Drayton to get a Mack. The UK needs more Macks full stop.

In person I took the darker circle shape to be the spiral in the logo. The under construction sign is background is similar in colour/texture to the vikings hotel side entrance also.

I don't know enough about Drayton Manor to make an educated guess but I think we were on the right track with 'Ay, you' representing Au (Gold) - it feels like a deliberate choice... it could have read better with 'Shhh... No peeking' or something like that. Something to do with gold and vikings - possibly a Mack Spinner because the spiral is the only part of the logo in the background? Who knows 😂

Attachments

• csm_open-times-600x600_9e93cafe18.jpg
    csm_open-times-600x600_9e93cafe18.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 26
In person I took the darker circle shape to be the spiral in the logo. The under construction sign is background is similar in colour/texture to the vikings hotel side entrance also.

I don't know enough about Drayton Manor to make an educated guess but I think we were on the right track with 'Ay, you' representing Au (Gold) - it feels like a deliberate choice... it could have read better with 'Shhh... No peeking' or something like that. Something to do with gold and vikings - possibly a Mack Spinner because the spiral is the only part of the logo in the background? Who knows 😂

I think you are onto something with AU and gold..not with Vikings though. The gold rush, wild west and all that. It would tie in perfectly with one of the dark rides in that area in Sheriffs showdown.

A western theme would not require major retheming with the exception of accelerator which may not be included in the new area anyway.

I am surprised we have not seen more work on the site since the clearance and I'm wondering if there has been some sort of delay with contractors