• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

Hoping for something a bit more comprehensive than what that video @pjanvil just posted shows but expecting it to be more on the tame side (which obviously suits their target market) . Would be nice to see a more unique train design too! Maybe a straddle or uncharted style of train. Nonetheless this will be a very welcome addition to a park crying out for another coaster and I can’t wait to see it go vertical.

Should be a great addition to the park for DM. Not quite what I was expecting (I thought it was going to be a Vekoma Shockwave multi launcher or an STC) but that looks like it will have a nice long layout. And those low to the ground sections might be a little deceptive and feel much faster than they actually are. Could be a good opportunity to theme it with some headchopper elements as well.

I think that looks like it could be great fun!

It’s quite a long ride for the size (if it’s that layout), it looks like it could have some surprisingly solid airtime for a family coaster, and overall, I think it looks like a really good addition that will satisfy their new family audience nicely!

It’s perhaps less thrill-centric than I think some were initially expecting, but given that they removed their biggest thrill ride to make way for it under the pretence that it no longer fitted with the park’s intended demographic, I’m not overly surprised that they’ve gone for something more family-orientated.

Probably best to reserve judgement until Drayton's actual ride is built. A video of a generic layout won't do it justice. I'm saying this to myself by the way as I'm almost passing judgement.

I agree that theming will make or break this attraction. Nice to see them going with a top tier manufacturer though. No surprise they went with Intamin to be fair.

They have built plenty of family launched coasters that are good. Hopefully this is. After all, this is basically just the family launch coaster with a lifthill added on.

Last edited:
So the secret is finally out. Drayton are getting a new Intamin family thrill lift and launch coaster. More details in the article below:

That looks like a very good choice! It should be fun, but certainly not 'the best coaster in the UK', which Lift Hills and Thrills claimed a while ago.

That looks like a very good choice! It should be fun, but certainly not 'the best coaster in the UK', which Lift Hills and Thrills claimed a while ago.
Agreed - looks perfect for Drayton and also pleasing to see that it’s part of a multi-year investment. New Intamin drop tower to supplement the coaster, anyone?

Noticeable that the quote attributed to Drayton’s MD is now “best family thrill coaster in the UK” rather than the previously attributed “one of the best coasters in the UK”.

This is basically what Drayton needed, of course it will be interesting to see what sort of layout Drayton has gone with, would be nice if they used the lake for a splash down style element shown in the video but if I'm honest I doubt that will be the case for cost reasons. Nice to see them go with Intamin, we haven't seen one in the UK for a while. I'll very much look forward to riding it.

In terms of the theme, I don't know what exactly they'll theme it too but I agree that with a ride like this the theming is very important. Drayton don't seem to be one for dark themes but they're ran out of most of the generic ones like cars and vikings. I'd like to see a unique theme with a unique name/identity to go along with it.

This is basically what Drayton needed, of course it will be interesting to see what sort of layout Drayton has gone with, would be nice if they used the lake for a splash down style element shown in the video but if I'm honest I doubt that will be the case for cost reasons. Nice to see them go with Intamin, we haven't seen one in the UK for a while. I'll very much look forward to riding it.

In terms of the theme, I don't know what exactly they'll theme it too but I agree that with a ride like this the theming is very important. Drayton don't seem to be one for dark themes but they're ran out of most of the generic ones like cars and vikings. I'd like to see a unique theme with a unique name/identity to go along with it.

What cost reasons though? They are spending a fair bit on this project. They dug fake lakes for Vikings, no reason why they won't do it for this. Especially because it is a key part of the attraction.

What cost reasons though? They are spending a fair bit on this project. They dug fake lakes for Vikings, no reason why they won't do it for this. Especially because it is a key part of the attraction.
You bring a valid point, but what I was saying is that it's probably an unnecessary cost for not all that much gain, they may well do it, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see a layout that doesn't include it. I imagine they'll have looked at things like this and seen if it's likely to make the ride more marketable, and perhaps it will, but I imagine the costs of isolating a bit of the lake with clean water could be expensive.

You bring a valid point, but what I was saying is that it's probably an unnecessary cost for not all that much gain, they may well do it, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see a layout that doesn't include it. I imagine they'll have looked at things like this and seen if it's likely to make the ride more marketable, and perhaps it will, but I imagine the costs of isolating a bit of the lake with clean water could be expensive.

Personally, I think there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to suggest it will go either way right now. So anything right now is just opinion.

Interesting points, I am the opposite. I think they will want this coaster to look as good as it possibly can. So getting things like the water jets to add a big wow factor to guests who are off the ride will be a good cheap bonus. I can filter my garden pond for very cheap. The costs won't be expensive.

I would say the water jets would absolutely make the ride more marketable, they are the sort of thing you can prominently place in your marketing for the coaster, for that 'killer image'. No coaster in the UK uses water jets. So it would certainly be unique.

Personally, I think there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to suggest it will go either way right now. So anything right now is just opinion.
Absolutely, there's been no work on the lake yet so it's impossible to tell. I'm not saying it won't happen just that I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.
Interesting points, I am the opposite. I think they will want this coaster to look as good as it possibly can. So getting things like the water jets to add a big wow factor to guests who are off the ride will be a good cheap bonus. I can filter my garden pond for very cheap. The costs won't be expensive.

I would say the water jets would absolutely make the ride more marketable, they are the sort of thing you can prominently place in your marketing for the coaster, for that 'killer image'. No coaster in the UK uses water jets. So it would certainly be unique.
I agree that it would make it look better, also I believe it would be the only coaster to do that in the UK? I too agree that it could make it more marketable but I just think that the costs of doing it and running it might not match up to how much more marketable it will be.
I'd prefer it to have the jets, but at the moment I'm not convinced it will.

Agreed - looks perfect for Drayton and also pleasing to see that it’s part of a multi-year investment. New Intamin drop tower to supplement the coaster, anyone?

Noticeable that the quote attributed to Drayton’s MD is now “best family thrill coaster in the UK” rather than the previously attributed “one of the best coasters in the UK”.
An Intamin drop tower would be a perfect ride to supliment the new coaster. It also fills the gap left by Apocalypse as Drayton are pretty well covered for other types of flats. Wouldn't take up much space either.

Looking forward to riding this hopefully it will have some nice pops of air time.

An Intamin drop tower would be a perfect ride to supliment the new coaster. It also fills the gap left by Apocalypse as Drayton are pretty well covered for other types of flats. Wouldn't take up much space either.
They're not going to replace one Intamin drop tower with another one immediately, sure apocalypse was old but replacing it, not even that far away from where it was just seems incredibly pointless. They may well add a flat too or the year after but I doubt it will be a drop tower.

Absolutely, there's been no work on the lake yet so it's impossible to tell. I'm not saying it won't happen just that I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.

I agree that it would make it look better, also I believe it would be the only coaster to do that in the UK? I too agree that it could make it more marketable but I just think that the costs of doing it and running it might not match up to how much more marketable it will be.
I'd prefer it to have the jets, but at the moment I'm not convinced it will.

Yes it would be unique. If you look at the video, the water jets face away from the train, they do not wet guests. The water can be bog standard lake water. No filtration required. I think its a fairly cheap effect to add a wow factor. An effect that is also on other mine train coasters.

They're not going to replace one Intamin drop tower with another one immediately, sure apocalypse was old but replacing it, not even that far away from where it was just seems incredibly pointless. They may well add a flat too or the year after but I doubt it will be a drop tower.
It would be a good addition for a gold mine theme though, similar to Detonator at Thorpe or even smaller if it is themed and maybe located within the rollercoaster tracks as a kinda near miss.