• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

It'd certainly make it more interesting

Personally, I think Jormungandr should become the spinning coaster
Jormungandr can barley make it round the track as it is, out of all the rides at Drayton it's the most decrepit. A new junior coaster be it spinning or otherwise would be a welcome replacement

I know guests ain’t happy that Apocalypse closed but it was on its last legs with most the season been on 1 tower only.
Shockwave outside the school holidays when the whole park is busy rarely gets a queue and I not waited more than 1 train cycle all season. Not sure what the height requirements for the new coaster will be but with Shockwave new trains been sit down and with a 1.2m tall requirement it will feel like 2 new coasters have been added to the park for next year.

We knew this ages ago regarding shockwave and it was already discussed previously it won’t be a spinning coaster. From a business point of view it all makes sense and to extend the lifespan of the ride, in all honesty it’s so rough “stand up” you don’t come off as an enthusiast feeling satisfied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this just one train? Reducing the height requirement so it appeals to more guests whilst only having one train seems sub optimal.

In theory capacity should be higher as the trains will be much easier to load. I'll reserve judgement on them needing 2 until the "new" ride factor wears off.

Regardless of the merits of changing the train, calling the closing event "the last stand" is absolutely perfect.

I do think the looping group is been very clever with Drayton Manor.
They know with the money Merlin spent on rides and attractions they can’t compete with them but lowering Shockwave’s height restriction and adding a uk 1st family thrill coaster within a new themed area they are already adding 2 new coasters to the park next season and if they have a excellent 2024 I can really see them go big on the pirate cove area and a new dark ride in the pirate adventure building.
I tried to take pictures last Sunday but there is a couple of Big red skips behind the pirate adventure building and they been clearing out the pirate adventure building as parts of the red shockwave trains could be seen in 1 of them and I know that was been kept in the building for parts for the Blue train.

Shockwave isn't going to be much of a coaster though when it's converted sadly. The short and dull layout is acceptable when it's a stand up due to the novelty of the riding position. Its not going to have the same impact as a sit down sadly and for me will be rather dull.

This new family coaster is going to have to be pretty special for me to return.

The short and dull layout is acceptable when it's a stand up due to the novelty of the riding position. Its not going to have the same impact as a sit down sadly and for me will be rather dull.
My thoughts exactly.

However, the transformation of said coaster is not for the benefit of enthusiasts and is to fill out the family lineup.

A reduction to 1.2m on a short “upside down rollercoaster” will do that nicely!

Shockeave will loose it unique thrill, bit imagine your what, 8 or 9 years old and that's your first big ride. Perfectly ample in my opinion. Its not a thrill seeking attraction anymore, but neither is the park or market they are going for. To repurpose it makes sense.

I’m really not sure why Drayton is getting so much stick for this across various social media platforms. It’s easy to forget just what a state Drayton was in when looping took over. Apocalypse was in a disgraceful state, dumped in an area of the park that was chaotic, under invested and a mess of themes. It was either going to cost a huge amount to sort out, or best to remove and invest in the whole park experience. I think they chose well. Shockwave is also in a similar state. One train ravaged for parts to keep the dilapidated second train running. A retheme and a new train(s) is by far the best option for it, rather than total removal. In the last few years, we’ve got the rapids back, buildings repainted and repaired, a whole new area (Vikings), three new pieces of ride hardware (two in Vikings and one in Thomas land) and now, finally, the top end of the park is getting the love it’s needed for many many years - and a new coaster. Credit where it’s due. I haven’t seen a queue of any great length in shockwave for years, so I’m curious to where all these “never going back now the stand up experience is going” people are? Because I haven’t seen them at the park for a very long time.

The train display is nearly finished with testing taking place and should be open for the Christmas Event
C254727E-6462-4678-B52D-7C7660EFE0CC.jpeg161B00F0-652C-40E5-8D40-185056A9C626.jpeg25D42AED-C558-4A79-B9EE-ECBA6BB974BA.jpeg7A0DE7E1-049F-40D7-8B8D-F36997E928C0.jpegB3A9B40F-6E67-477A-B021-726F0F00F1A0.jpeg3720D162-A128-493A-92FD-44A7DE953FA3.jpegAC442EAB-FEFA-4E56-AAB3-9A77337A185C.jpeg856E80AB-7C33-4CCB-83C6-36941B21F107.jpeg

Is there any kind of light protection from the sun so the models are damaged any further? Drayton have done a poor job over the last 8 or so years looking after them

I don't think these models, some which are barely shy of 40 years old, should be constantly running for 8 months of the year

Is there any kind of light protection from the sun so the models are damaged any further? Drayton have done a poor job over the last 8 or so years looking after them

I don't think these models, some which are barely shy of 40 years old, should be constantly running for 8 months of the year
They currently not installed a roof on that display so I guess nothing will stop the sun.
The big difference from when it was in the other building will be it be more interactive as there installed push buttons all around the building to operate the engines and other things.
FEA6D029-8173-4096-8C11-B4C471AA70AA.jpeg

These aren't precious artefacts, they're things created with the intention of delighting children. Better running and seen than tucked away in some archive.