• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

2018: Another Thomas land expansion
2019: Even more Thomas to the point where the park is now called "Thomas Land featuring Drayton Manor"
2020: Drayton Manor ceases to exist because the entire park is now Thomas. Apocalypse, G Force, Maelstorm, and Shockwave are now all themed to the little blue tank engine and his friends.
2021: The expansion gets so big that that it's taken over the entire town of Tamworth. The town is mostly demolished to house the new authentic Island of Sodor experience
2022: Tamworth (or Tomworth has it has now been renamed) is painted entirely blue. There are no roads, only tracks and every radio plays the Thomas theme (not that iconic one, but the annoying one) and every public announcement is done by Ringo Starr. The town's mayor is now the Fat Controller.

The zoo stays however.

It's the only thing keeping that place afloat and it's awesome. More please, Bryan clan.

Could say the same of Paultons and Peppa Pig, but only one park has made major additions to itself (especially in terms of updating existing areas)...

Could say the same of Paultons and Peppa Pig, but only one park has made major additions to itself (especially in terms of updating existing areas)...
But again, you're not comparing apples with apples. Paultons is ramping up to become a medium sized player in the market. They very skilfully used Peppa Pig World to draw attention to their core product. PPW is not particularly remarkable - the IP carries it and hides some pretty cheapo ride hardware with not so great throughput. To their credit, they have indeed begun to expand, but they're expanding from the point that Drayton, Alton or Thorpe were at in the early 1990s, the mass expenditure won't continue at this rate forever.

Since Shockwave, Drayton has always struggled to be on the front foot when compared with Alton. They scored an absolute slam dunk with Thomas Land after years of pouring money into the main park with little or no ROI. In part because they bought some dreadful rides, but more so because whatever they did was always inferior (or perceived to be inferior) to what was going on 30 odd miles away.

Alton lost their footing and whilst they were doing so, Drayton stormed in and provided what is arguable the best kids area in the UK. They know their core market now and they'll continue to indulge it whilst nurturing and keeping the main park afloat - there's a new coaster coming in the not too distant future, after all.

Thomas Land though is a bunch of cheap hardware with low throughput hidden behind a well themed and IP carried area...

Just Drayton seems more focused really on expanding the area rather than the park, whatever happened to the Cartoon Network rumour after Ben 10 for example? Or a replacement for Pirates Adventure and Excalibur?

Both areas are also reasons for both parks kept afloat, just Paultons seems to be using theirs as a solid foundation to a revival/growth whilst Drayton continue milking the teat rather than taking the opportunity to improve the park further (a questionable hotel build has also contributed to their lower level investments mind)...

I'm probably looking far into this but we know Drayton are trying to get a launch coaster this new S&S 2018 attraction will be ''The first of it's kind'' but what if it is a launched S&S inverted coaster. S&S say launches are possible on this model.

If it turns out to be a launched S&S, then forgive me for being a bit skeptical. After all, we know what happened with Ring Racer, though S&S have still opened others as well. As far as I know, though, none of them were sat SBNO for four years due to technical issues and then opened for just four days before going SBNO again. :p

That model would surely use LIMs or drive tyres instead of the troublesome compressed air launch systems S&S have tried on thrill coasters. As far as I know that would be the first of its kind built, but it's not a very inspiring looking machine is it?

That model would surely use LIMs or drive tyres instead of the troublesome compressed air launch systems S&S have tried on thrill coasters. As far as I know that would be the first of its kind built, but it's not a very inspiring looking machine is it?
We are talking about a park who built G-Force... Also what about LSM's because it totally wouldn't be the 3rd LSM launch coaster in 2018 coming to the UK... :p

I really hope that it's nothing like that. Sure it would be fine and the Vekoma equivalents are good as a first 'bigger' coaster for kids but it would be so similar to Ben 10 in terms of the thrill level offered. I'm really hoping Drayton go for something more family thrill.

:)

Brilliant analysis on what Drayton have done Rick @Rick . I do warm to Alton Towers though and am glad they have opened their own markets up to more kid friendly attractions, as I know many people who choose parks other than Alton Towers on the basis that the rides are all 'white knuckle' and big. Thorpe is also following suite with the Angry Birds/Rovio land, + changing its brand from thrill capital to 'an island like no other', and Drayton seem to be eating all the cake with the Cartoon Network land idea (which hasn't yet really grown in to much yet I admit) .

On the whole its not looking too shabby for the major chess pieces of UK theme parks, and I agree that Drayton has really played a central role with Thomas Land. The same cannot be said for the lesser known parks and seaside attractions.

Regarding future attractions, I stick with what I said about 3 months ago on this thread.

Off subject but did ring racer really only ever open for 4 days ? Christ that's got to be the biggest waste of cash in roller coaster history

Off subject but did ring racer really only ever open for 4 days ? Christ that's got to be the biggest waste of cash in roller coaster history
Officially, I think so. Should've opened in 2009, I believe!

But the crap coaster award still must go to Orphan Rocker surely?
Less money but a longer wait for opening.
There was still a guy faffing around with the track when I was there in 2011... what on Earth!?

It would appear that the people at S&S have become really bored of late and produced a number of 'new coaster concepts' in No Limits (although it would appear they are all based on either a Gerstlaurer Infinity or Vekoma SLC).

(Videos now removed from their page)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyJi4uenl18tUI2ytqkzWfA/videos
The reason I post this here is that we know it is strongly rumoured that Drayton might be getting a new concept S&S coaster in 2018. So could it be one of these? One of the launched inverted family coasters seems most likely in my opinion.

:)

Last edited by a moderator: