• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

Just based upon the terrible wage they advertised every other position at, which was 30% below where it should be.
Not being advertised well never know however

Sadly theme parks don't pay very well at ground level or even in most background/office positions. They rely on people being passionate about the industry to attract staff and by also offering decentish perks instead of a good salary.
It's no wonder they can't keep staff.

30k would be an insult though to be a manager with the responsibility for an attraction of 1million guests per year. As I said though no idea where that figure you've come up is from.

I seen so many staff leave Drayton Manor over the past 3 years. Like for instance I know cause of the staff shortages last year a member of staff was operating a ride from 10:30am to 8pm and only got 1 break as only 1 or 2 members of staff was covering breaks across the whole park.

I seen so many staff leave Drayton Manor over the past 3 years. Like for instance I know cause of the staff shortages last year a member of staff was operating a ride from 10:30am to 8pm and only got 1 break as only 1 or 2 members of staff was covering breaks across the whole park.

If I had passed the time I was legally required to have a break I would have shut the queue and took the break without cover, what they going to do, sack me? Doubt it. These young and impressionable people, they can get away with it though.

Quite bad really, especially from a safety / alertness perspective, I'm sure not intentional non the less. Regardless with me, it wouldn't be a case if I'm having my breaks. I would be having my breaks and that would be that.

If I had passed the time I was legally required to have a break I would have shut the queue and took the break without cover, what they going to do, sack me? Doubt it. These young and impressionable people, they can get away with it though.
There is no time to pass before you're legally entitled to a break.

"Workers have the right to one uninterrupted 20 minute rest break during their working day, if they work more than 6 hours a day. This could be a tea or lunch break."

"Employers can say when employees take rest breaks during work time as long as:

the break is taken in one go somewhere in the middle of the day (not at the beginning or end)"

In the case that @Themeparksandy1981 mentioned above, it seems that no laws were broken. The worker got the one break they were entitled to, when working a shift of 6 hours or more.

If you think that the above is total baloney, please do write to your MP. There's a general election on the horizon and you may as well attempt to use your democratic voice to ask for better legal working conditions.

Source: - https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work/taking-breaks

There is no time to pass before you're legally entitled to a break.

"Workers have the right to one uninterrupted 20 minute rest break during their working day, if they work more than 6 hours a day. This could be a tea or lunch break."

"Employers can say when employees take rest breaks during work time as long as:

the break is taken in one go somewhere in the middle of the day (not at the beginning or end)"

In the case that @Themeparksandy1981 mentioned above, it seems that no laws were broken. The worker got the one break they were entitled to, when working a shift of 6 hours or more.

If you think that the above is total baloney, please do write to your MP. There's a general election on the horizon and you may as well attempt to use your democratic voice to ask for better legal working conditions.

Source: - https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work/taking-breaks

No I believe you, being a manager responsible for quite a large number of people, I have to know this stuff. I was not suggesting they had not had their entitled breaks. I was mearly making the point that if my entitlement window of 6 hours had passed. I would be taking that break. I would fully expect my staff to do the same. Although we operate under very different circumstances so it's never an issue.

Still, it's a poor show when in a role for which observational skills are crucial for safety, especially with young people who are more easily distracted. But it's a tough thing to cover, I get that.

I am guessing they would still attempt to cover the higher risk rides with more breaks, then filter down to the lower risk rides if the labour is avaliable.

Last edited:
I was mearly making the point that if my entitlement window of 6 hours had passed. I would be taking that break. I would fully expect my staff to do the same. Although we operate under very different circumstances so it's never an issue.
Unfortunately that window is only the measure for your entitlement. If your shift is 10 hours long it doesn't mean that at the 6 hour mark you have to have a break, it means that you're entitled to one 20 minute break as your shift is longer than 6 hours.

If you took that break under your own steam, without permission from your employer/manager, you would be in breach of your employment terms.

These rules come from the EU Working Directive, which are still in place for the moment post Brexit. Most employers will make you sign/opt out of when you start working for them, which removes the 48 hour limit on total weekly hours, but it does not alter your (albeit minimal) break entitlement.

I know the pay isn't great, but for someone wanting a start in a more senior marketing role it is a great opportunity. I know from experience, you need to compromise on finances to be on the right path sometimes. In this day and age qualifications are less relevant than experience... and with what DM are going through (investment and growth) you just have to give it 2-5 years and the opertunities out there will be quantifiable.

Plus, if someone offered you a job in Marketing at a theme park on £30k, or at a lumber company (for example) on £35k - which would you take? Environment and product are a tangible benefit.

The staff shortages got that bad 1 member of staff would operate 2 rides so for the 1st half of the day the 1 ride would be open then they go on break and go back to operate the other ride.
The Rapids hardly ran last season as all staff need to be trained in water rescue so they decided to run Stormforce 10 instead or on hot days the rapids would open in the morning then all the staff would go on break then return and operate Stormforce 10 for the reminder of the day.

My best guess without spinning cars?

1708029028437.png

Leave the station as red, travel around to the brake/launch. Backwards as green around and then back to the launch, forwards as blue around the layout, through the launch again and back to the station. I expect controlled spinning cars, eliminate the green run and do the blue run backwards and revolve back forwards at the end of the ride or throughput would be horrendous

My best guess without spinning cars?

1708029028437.png

Leave the station as red, travel around to the brake/launch. Backwards as green around and then back to the launch, forwards as blue around the layout, through the launch again and back to the station. I expect controlled spinning cars, eliminate the green run and do the blue run backwards and revolve back forwards at the end of the ride or throughput would be horrendous

You might be on to something here.

It’s really interesting this. And the post should mentioning paths in tunnels and under the ride makes me think this could be the best thing this year in the uk

The other potentially option is which would be better for through put is once it arrives at the launch track it launches backwards around what is expected to be the backwards section and rolls up the lift hill and then rolls back down the way it came (acting like a boomerang spike) traveling back forwards round the same bit of backwards track and then launches forwards for the final part around the toilet block. It would this way arrive at the station forwards.