• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

I mean you could argue Vikings has proper 3D wooden signage, unlike frontier falls graffiti. They both have small water features to complement, alot of natural wood which is pleasant to the eye but yes not mind blowing but also not crap either? Great for the kiddies I guess!

Draytons recent theming has been tidy but not spectacular.
I expect this to be similar but small improvement. Tidy++ if you like

You can clearly see a lot of thought goes into it, but they don’t have close to the budget to make a Forbidden Valley style zone for example

Update from today
Queue line screens
IMG_4342.jpeg
They got 1 inside Thomas land

IMG_4377.jpeg
There also 1 on the entrance of Thomas land. Didn’t go into Advantage cove to see if there was 1 in there.
Accelerator got a new entrance sign
IMG_4373.jpeg
I notice the bloke who in the Gold rush ad is a entertainer in the park

IMG_4364.jpegIMG_4365.jpeg
The coaster is looking good

IMG_4343.jpegIMG_4345.jpegIMG_4346.jpegIMG_4347.jpegThink the fencing on the theme park side will be coming down soon as they removed the 2 gates

IMG_4344.jpegIMG_4351.jpeg
On top of that Entrance arch way I think a cart will go up there

IMG_4359.jpeg
I been told theses pieces will be the last bits to go on above the station

IMG_4360.jpeg
There’s lots of sticks of dynamite

IMG_4358.jpeg
There’s a few buckets few around the room.
I can confirm the top entrance won’t be opening again as they put a fence and gate up

IMG_4353.jpegIMG_4352.jpeg
There’s still a lot of work need doing at the back of the site

IMG_4385.jpegIMG_4384.jpegIMG_4383.jpegIMG_4382.jpegIMG_4381.jpegIMG_4371.jpegIMG_4370.jpeg
But the new fencing has started to arrive on site

IMG_4380.jpeg
The queue line all finished now

IMG_4369.jpegIMG_4368.jpegIMG_4367.jpegIMG_4366.jpeg

Just watched a video with Victoria Lynn MD of the park. She’s said the days of installing white knuckle thrills are defiantly over and they’re only installing family attractions now.

Best get visiting whilst we can before they remove all the thrill flat rides!

Just watched a video with Victoria Lynn MD of the park. She’s said the days of installing white knuckle thrills are defiantly over and they’re only installing family attractions now.

It’s tough to say what u class as a thrill flat ride as it must be my age now but I can’t do Air race anymore and even Thor makes me feel sick.
Even Loki yesterday felt like it was spinning faster.
In 4 years next month they owned the park they Installed 6 new rides and a new 4D movie, Re-themed/created 3 new areas with all rides re-themed to the new areas and removed 2 rides.

It’s tough to say what u class as a thrill flat ride as it must be my age now but I can’t do Air race anymore and even Thor makes me feel sick.
Even Loki yesterday felt like it was spinning faster.
In 4 years next month they owned the park they Installed 6 new rides and a new 4D movie, Re-themed/created 3 new areas with all rides re-themed to the new areas and removed 2 rides.

Certainly not a bad turnaround when you list it like that.

I actually think the park needs another dark ride or two, and maybe another coaster. But it’s fairly complete l.

Like Maelstrom and.......

Family attractions could literally mean anything from Thomas Land all the way to a 1.2m attraction.

I can't see them removing any of the more thrilling flats like Maelstrom. I still think they will get another shot/ drop tower all be it more family friendly than appocolipse.

The park looked in good shape when I was there a few weeks back, busy as well. There is still work to be done especially in that central area around Pirate Adventure. I think it's been the correct decision for the park to go for the family thrill market they tried competing with Towers and it bankrupt them. It will be interesting to see what the next 5 year plan will be.

I can’t see Maelstrom being removed. It’s too popular and regularly wins best flat ride uk.

What I could see happen is, when serious work is required - replacing the ride system and restraints.

The older intamin gyro’s can, in theory, spin 360 degrees hence the 1.3m restriction and restraints.

Newer types are taller and faster, but lack the ability to go over the top, meaning the restraint can be altered and height down to 1.2 which fits with the park perfectly

I can’t see Maelstrom being removed. It’s too popular and regularly wins best flat ride uk.

What I could see happen is, when serious work is required - replacing the ride system and restraints.

The older intamin gyro’s can, in theory, spin 360 degrees hence the 1.3m restriction and restraints.

Newer types are taller and faster, but lack the ability to go over the top, meaning the restraint can be altered and height down to 1.2 which fits with the park perfectly
Are there any of the Intamin gyros out there that do actually run on (or have previously run) a 360 degree setting?

No they can't. Intamin have never made a single Gyro swing with a 360 degree capable gearbox. I've maintained a few
over the years (including Maelstrom) and I can categorically say they do not support 360 degree motion, not even in theory due to the gearbox and engineering of the ride.

The system does not support it, the hardware does not support it, the engineering does not support it and the gearbox does not support it.

In order to get that thing to do a 360 hypothetically if the gearbox supported it, the swinging speed would have to be quite high to achieve that as it does not have a counterweight, so high in fact that the g force would be dangerous to humans and the actual ride's integrity.

They are in no way designed to do 360, the whole ride and I mean the whole ride would need a re design from the ground up and would look totally different as a result.

Cool idea though.

Last edited:

Clearly a mistake. With all due respect, I do not care what some typo on a website says. I've seen the actual technical documents for the ride, I've replaced the motors, i've sat inside the gearbox inspecting and greasing it. I have seen every single nook and cranny of that ride and it's technical documents supplied to the park from Intamin. Maelstrom categorically can not do 360, nor has it ever done it nor will it ever, it is not capable of doing it. Like EVERY other Gyroswing on the planet.

1721042884347.png