• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

From their perspective i imagine the long term value of the ride investment dwarfs a transient social media campaign. It's rubbish but if the ride and theming is good that is all that matters.
It's true that Word of Mouth is more effective than traditional marketing, but they need visibility to begin with.

Say you see a poster or an online advert for the ride, you initially don't think much of it because it's just another advert. But then say your friend say their family went out to ride as part of their annual Drayton trip and raved about how good it was, you have much more of a concept and understanding of the ride and more likely to think, "If they enjoyed it, I'm sure my family would too!".

Without that initial advert though, it'd be a harder sell through word of mouth as your entirely going off the friend's explanation of the ride rather than a pre-conceived notion of it...

I don't really care if an advert is AI or not, it certainly wouldn't put me off visiting and I'm pretty sure the general public won't either. n a few years you won't even be able to tell if something is make by a graphic designer or AI. It might be hard to take but it's the future we are moving towards.

I don't really care if an advert is AI or not, it certainly wouldn't put me off visiting and I'm pretty sure the general public won't either. n a few years you won't even be able to tell if something is make by a graphic designer or AI. It might be hard to take but it's the future we are moving towards.
First they came for the graphics designers
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a graphic designer...

After watching that vlog there is still a lot of work to do at the back of the site but they still got a full 12 days to get it all finished.
I wonder in the vlog at 12:30 there’s a freshly laid support. Will that be the ride photo camera?

Drayton now have digital signage with queue times (for normal and fast track )

… some spelling errors .. but probably testing it still. Hopefully coming to the app soon

Interesting fast track is listed. A rumour was circulating early season Drayton were gonna drop the fast track packages in favour of one shot fast tracks via an app. Would tend to suggest this could be true

Last edited:
I mean the ride and area looks great and will be a great addition to the park there no denying that! I’m aware it’s not completely finished yet, but I would honestly put the theming level from what I can see as similar to the Viking’s area.

I was expecting proper themed tunnels like you was going down to the mines, not just open wood structures. And larger rock work/mine facades that the coaster would weave in and out (false perspective) fake mountains with giant props and scenery and so on. There just seems like a lot of wood again?

There was a big hype on theming and the best family themed rollercoaster in the country but to be honest from what I can see it appears the Wickerman will still hold this title for me. Again it looks good and I’m excited to ride but I’m
Just being honest it’s certainly no European standard level of theming so maybe they shouldn’t have hyped that part as much I guess?

However I do really like the water feature and the facades they did earlier this season and I’m sure additional smaller probs will be added. Compared to any other Uk rollercoaster openings this year, it does appears the landscaping will look the most complete which is a great sign.

I do think this area opening up and the addition of the Viking’s area will look a lot more exciting and bigger on the park map! All these new additions and ride offering will certainly appeal to the family market and guests who haven’t attended in a while.

I think the park probably has a different definition of family thrill.

Wickerman , for me, is more thrill then family thrill.

I guess thirteen is close but 1.2 vs 1

Drayton is probably comparing itself to the offerings at places like Paultons rather than Towers. Which frankly is a good ambition. If they can match Paultons let alone exceed we’re off to a winner.
Definitely a place for a premium (emphasis on premium) family park in this neck of the woods.

I think the park probably has a different definition of family thrill.

Wickerman , for me, is more thrill then family thrill.

I guess thirteen is close but 1.2 vs 1

Drayton is probably comparing itself to the offerings at places like Paultons rather than Towers. Which frankly is a good ambition. If they can match Paultons let alone exceed we’re off to a winner.
Definitely a place for a premium (emphasis on premium) family park in this neck of the woods.
Family Thrill is quite a broad category that roughly encompasses the "Thrill" category in RCDB but also could go slightly beyond that at both ends.

You could say that a Vekoma Family Suspended Coaster could be classed as Family Thrill and at the other end, something along the lines of Icon at Blackpool Pleasure Beach or Fonix at Farup Sommerland.

Drayton Manor were likely looking for something that can fit between Accelerator and The Wave which Gold Rush seems to deliver on. The park likely wanted Gold Rush to be as accessible as possible to as wide of an audience as possible which isn't a bad thing.

Drayton Manor seems to have their smallest most family friendly rollercoasters (Troublesome Trucks and Jormungandr) at a 1m or above or higher height requirement compared to similar equivalents which may potentially need addressing in the future whist the park continues to aim towards families.

You could say that a Vekoma Family Suspended Coaster could be classed as Family Thrill and at the other end, something along the lines of Icon at Blackpool Pleasure Beach or Fonix at Farup Sommerland.

Icon is in the same thrill category as a wacky worm.

As for Draytons new ride it looks really good for their target market, Shaun’s definition of amazing theming is a little low but you can’t deny it is well themed to an average standard.

My big worry is the marketing for this is naff and they will have invested millions and no one will turn up.

Icon is in the same thrill category as a wacky worm.

As for Draytons new ride it looks really good for their target market, Shaun’s definition of amazing theming is a little low but you can’t deny it is well themed to an average standard.

My big worry is the marketing for this is naff and they will have invested millions and no one will turn up.
I am very impressed with how Gold Rush is looking 🤩 I can imagine this will wow those riding it especially children 😀

That comparison with Icon and a Wacky Worm made me smile 😅