• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

There is also some weird obsession with ripping out anything that is old and replacing it with something completely different.

Disney have the busiest and probably the most profitable parks in the world by keeping what they have. It works, the model is proven. Adding other rides around what you have works. I’m tired of “reimagined” this, and “look what we’ve added in” that.

What doesn’t work is allowing a ride to disintegrate into a state where nothing works and the experience isn’t the same as when it first opened.

Pirate Adventure was decent, there would be zero complaints reopening it in the same state it was when it first opened. Not happening however.
I’d argue that people like to see new rides and adding a new attraction is exciting for guests and can also can generate interest in the park to attract new visitors and also give people a reason to return. When parks don’t periodically add new rides it can lead to a feeling of stagnation, just look at Pleasure Beach.

Whilst Pirate Adventure is a ride that is remembered fondly by some longer time guests the fact is that it has been closed for almost a decade and that there is a generation of potential guests who are part of the target audience for the park yet Pirate Adventure means nothing to them because they’ve never experienced it. In terms of marketing I’d think that using the building to host a new dark ride would be more attractive to the park (and draw in more new guests) than restoring a 35 year old ride that has been dormant for 9 years). If the park installed something like a Symbolicala, Maus Au Chocolat. Or Popcorn Revenge I’m not sure how many would be lamenting that they’d gotten that rather than Pirate Adventure over again. Sure, some would prefer the nostalgia of an old ride restored but I think many guests would find a modern dark ride in the building very appealing and enjoyable.

Went to Drayton today to check out Gold Rush! It’s a fun addition to the park and seemed to be really popular with young families. I thought the backwards launch out of the shed was a highlight, although I was slightly bummed to find that the big airtime hill did not, in fact, feature much airtime. The queue line is pleasant to wait in and doesn’t feature any overhead netting to restrict your view of the ride.

I did come away slightly disappointed, however, as the ride only ran on cycle one throughout the entire day (out the station, straight up and over the lift hill and backwards out of the shed)! Does anyone happen to know why this was the case?

I did come away slightly disappointed, however, as the ride only ran on cycle one throughout the entire day (out the station, straight up and over the lift hill and backwards out of the shed)! Does anyone happen to know why this was the case?
I’m not sure how they decide which cycle to run as we did it 3 times on Friday 1st was at half 3 and it was cycle 1 and at the end of the day both times were cycle 2.
On Sunday we did it 5 times with 3 times been for the annual pass hour and twice in the afternoon. 1st go was cycle 2 but the other 4 goes were cycle 1.

I'm surprised it doesn't have a split station like Fury and alternate loading the trains for Cycle 1 and Cycle 2

Excalibur lake is near housing isn't it?
Pirates shed would make a good family coaster in the dark.

It is, the Deer Park housing estate of Fazely if we are being specific. Which technically, along with Drayton Manor itself fall under the jurisdiction of Lichfield, but locally considered as Tamworth due to it being connected to Tamworth.

Had many a drunken evening at friends houses in that estate. The park can be heard clearly.

With Gold Rush seemingly operating well, I've taken the plunge and booked a Drayton Manor trip for Thursday 5th September 2024! I figure that the schools should be back by then and it should be nice and quiet, so hopefully a repeat of my lovely quiet day in June 2022 should be in order!

Is the park normally nice and quiet in September? The ticket was certainly cheap, at only £27.50!

On a side note, I have a tip for if you're wanting to reach Drayton (or any park) by train; look into split ticketing. Try splitting your booking through one of the major stations your train calls at. From Lydney (my local station) to Wilnecote (Drayton Manor's local station), the return ticket price with a 16-25 Railcard was a little over £60, even with TrainLine ostensibly using SplitSave to get me the "cheapest deal". Yet if I made separate bookings of Lydney-Gloucester and Gloucester-Wilnecote, I was able to get the two combined for just £37 (Lydney-Gloucester £12, Gloucester-Wilnecote £25), despite taking the exact same trains... I don't know why doing it that way made it over 1/3 cheaper despite me taking the exact same trains, but it did! I was able to get all of my tickets as Anytime Returns that way as well, so I now also have additional flexibility compared to if I'd booked it the regular way!

The Split my fare app can also be handy they take a cut but they do split ticketing for you if there's only a quid or two in it then I usually just get off peak return though.
Also Lydney is my local station too lol well I'm from Drybrook way so I always go from Gloucester unless I'm heading in Wales direction.

I still need to get on gold rush and the wave I'll just go when kids are back at school though.

With Gold Rush seemingly operating well, I've taken the plunge and booked a Drayton Manor trip for Thursday 5th September 2024! I figure that the schools should be back by then and it should be nice and quiet, so hopefully a repeat of my lovely quiet day in June 2022 should be in order!

Is the park normally nice and quiet in September? The ticket was certainly cheap, at only £27.50!

On a side note, I have a tip for if you're wanting to reach Drayton (or any park) by train; look into split ticketing. Try splitting your booking through one of the major stations your train calls at. From Lydney (my local station) to Wilnecote (Drayton Manor's local station), the return ticket price with a 16-25 Railcard was a little over £60, even with TrainLine ostensibly using SplitSave to get me the "cheapest deal". Yet if I made separate bookings of Lydney-Gloucester and Gloucester-Wilnecote, I was able to get the two combined for just £37 (Lydney-Gloucester £12, Gloucester-Wilnecote £25), despite taking the exact same trains... I don't know why doing it that way made it over 1/3 cheaper despite me taking the exact same trains, but it did! I was able to get all of my tickets as Anytime Returns that way as well, so I now also have additional flexibility compared to if I'd booked it the regular way!
Do you have a young persons railcard? I remember that being a great money saver for me in my student days.

Also when I went the other week I used an Uber to get back from the park to Tamworth train station, did the trick. They have Bolt in the area as well but whilst that was coming up cheaper no drivers took the request.

Last edited:
Do you have a young persons railcard? I remember that being a great money for me in my student days.

Also when I went the other week I used an Uber to get back from the park to Tamworth train station, did the trick. They have Bolt in the area as well but whilst that was coming up cheaper no drivers took the request.
I do; I got a 16-25 Railcard along with my student bank account when I joined uni, and it’s been invaluable for getting discounted train tickets! It’s still valid until next September, but when it runs out, I’ll certainly be buying another!

I thought about going to Tamworth and using Uber (the transport geek in me kind of wants to tick off another train station and see the split level platform at Tamworth, as sad as that sounds…), but Uber is quite expensive as a solo traveller, so I’m going to try and use it quite sparingly, as brilliant as it is…

I do; I got a 16-25 Railcard along with my student bank account when I joined uni, and it’s been invaluable for getting discounted train tickets! It’s still valid until next September, but when it runs out, I’ll certainly be buying another!

I thought about going to Tamworth and using Uber (the transport geek in me kind of wants to tick off another train station and see the split level platform at Tamworth, as sad as that sounds…), but Uber is quite expensive as a solo traveller, so I’m going to try and use it quite sparingly, as brilliant as it is…
Acorn Taxis go from Tamworth Station and aren't too expensive. I've used them a few times.

Acorn taxis are one of if not the cheapest taxi service in Tamworth. Although I find Uber cheaper than them these days.

Got mine with a student bank account as well, I very much regret not getting another 4 year pass back right before I turned 25. Would've been very useful back then.

Tamworth is a bit mad with that layout and so confusing the first time I visited.
I bit the bullet with Uber last week as it was about 45 minutes before my train was due and paid the extra to get a driver ASAP. Only for my train to then be delayed 20 minutes.
Longer walk out of the park that way now as well what with having to go through the vikings section and through the car park. Last time I'd gone the park that way was pre vikings and you entered the park by the buildings with a restaurant attached.

How come you're not driving there now you've passed your test? Having a boozy day on the train are ya? :laughing: ;) 👍

How come you're not driving there now you've passed your test? Having a boozy day on the train are ya? :laughing: ;) 👍
No, I’ve just decided not to drive long distances for the time being. I haven’t had a lot of motorway experience, so I don’t want to run before I’ve sufficiently walked, so to speak. Also, with insurance prices being as high as they are, I want to decrease my risk of getting points or doing anything bad that will otherwise up those prices.

Besides, I don’t think the car would necessarily have cost me any less. My train tickets were only £38, and with the 186 mile round trip that Drayton would be for me if I drove (it’s 93 miles, or around 1h 45m on a good run, each way from where I live), I’d easily be looking at a new tank of petrol for my car before going, which would be £50. Travelling as a solo traveller, I sometimes don’t think that the car is any more cost-effective than the train, and with Drayton, the time investment is not that much greater travelling by train (the train is only 1h 40m, and there’s only a little bit of waiting at the local station and a 30-35 minute walk the other side). With Drayton not opening until 10:30, I’d take a slightly earlier start in exchange for not having to drive, and with Drayton being the way it is on public transport from my house, I’m not sure I’d ever feel the need to drive there. Other parks are certainly different, but Drayton feels easy, quick and reasonably priced enough that I’d always be willing to go on the train rather than drive there.

Last edited:
No, I’ve just decided not to drive long distances for the time being. I haven’t had a lot of motorway experience, so I don’t want to run before I’ve sufficiently walked, so to speak. Also, with insurance prices being as high as they are, I want to decrease my risk of getting points or doing anything bad that will otherwise up those prices.

Besides, I don’t think the car would necessarily have cost me any less. My train tickets were only £38, and with the 186 mile round trip that Drayton would be for me if I drove (it’s 93 miles, or around 1h 45m on a good run, each way from where I live), I’d easily be looking at a new tank of petrol for my car before going, which would be £50. Travelling as a solo traveller, I sometimes don’t think that the car is any more cost-effective than the train, and with Drayton, the time investment is not that much greater travelling by train (the train is only 1h 40m, and there’s only a little bit of waiting at the local station and a 30-35 minute walk the other side). With Drayton not opening until 10:30, I’d take a slightly earlier start in exchange for not having to drive, and with Drayton being the way it is on public transport from my house, I’m not sure I’d ever feel the need to drive there. Other parks are certainly different, but Drayton feels easy, quick and reasonably priced enough that I’d always be willing to go on the train rather than drive there.
Off topic, but also take a gold putty medal for the train...better for the planet without a doubt mate.