• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

As I always said about the Haunted House before The Curse at Alton Manor happened, I don’t think “reviving” Pirate Adventure would be a good idea.

It wouldn’t really be “reviving” it; the ride has been dead for the better part of 10 years and most of what made it the ride it was is long gone, and I think this is even more the case for Pirate Adventure than for the Haunted House. The HH at least had some remaining usable foundations from the original theme, whereas I ascertain that Pirate Adventure pretty much only has a decrepit ride system and a shell of a building left over from the original, with pretty much all of the theming having either been removed or being in a state of disrepair that’s far beyond saving.

You’d effectively be trying to build a replica of the original ride, and as good as the intentions of some of the creatives would be, I don’t think you’d ever satisfy the demands of the most ardent nostalgic. Some people would inevitably ride it and say “it wasn’t as good as the original”, simply because times have changed since the early 90s and because they inevitably wouldn’t be able to use exactly the same techniques as on the original ride for a smorgasbord of reasons.

I think building a pirate-themed dark ride there wouldn’t be a bad idea. Something that pays homage to the original concept of Pirate Adventure, but doesn’t try and do a complete brick-by-brick “resurrection” of it, similarly to how The Curse at Alton Manor pays homage to the original Haunted House concept, but doesn’t try and “resurrect” the original ride.

But I don’t think trying to “resurrect” Pirate Adventure would be a good idea, personally. For starters, times have changed since the early 90s, and the original attraction probably wouldn’t land the same in 2024 what with how the market has changed. And it would inevitably never be exactly the same as the original ride for a variety of reasons, so it wouldn’t really please the ardent nostalgics whom such a move would be aimed at. I think that point stands even more with Pirate Adventure, as the remaining usable foundations from the original ride are very, very few at this point.

That’s what I’m saying they repaired the building and roof so no more leaks. They been clearing the building as it’s been used as a storage area. The red Shockwave train was stored in there for parts but that was seen in a skip last summer at the back of the building. There’s no rotten wood in there now as its 90% been stripped out as really only the queue line and the ride system is the only thing still in place which has been drained since the end of the 2015 season. I’m sure Mack or Simworxs could come on board to build a new dark ride or retrofit with the old system.

I think at this point a a brand new ride would be preferable. That ride system can't be in a good state. Technology has also moved on and it would be easier designing something new rather than working round a very old ride system.

Id be interested to see if they move the Dodgems and open the area up where Excalibur was and that whole area has no apparent use. I still think it's a good 2-3 years away before we see anything done to that area.

The Pirate Adventure saga is nothing but the wet dream of nostalgic midland thoosies.
A dead shell, get over the bloody thing.
You were wrong about Sub-terra Rob 🙃

I don't think many are suggesting the return of Pirate Adventure, but it's realistic to suppose the Looping Group will want to reuse the building for a new attraction rather than it just sitting there. There's been reports of repairs made to the building.
The pirates theme would sit horribly in amongst the new lands and themes and the best thing for everyone is to kill it, humanely and respectfully, but kill it once and for all.
I disagree. They have three other pirate rides in that area, so add some entrance portals and additional theming and I believe this'll be the next properly defined land at the park. It would then transpire that something in the Pirate Adventure building would be a headliner attraction.

@Themeparksandy1981's right that the Looping Group like to refurbish and reuse where they can.

think at this point a a brand new ride would be preferable. That ride system can't be in a good state. Technology has also moved on and it would be easier designing something new rather than working round a very old ride system.
But as all that’s basically left is the concrete channel you could add a new boat ride system in, new pumps, sensors, block systems, station etc.

1000002708.jpg
Credit: Your Experience Guide vlog

This is what £16.90 gets you at Drayton Manor in 2024, the f&b prices at Drayton has been higher than Merlin parks at least since 2020 I can't remember what they were before that.
But £17 for a burger as basic as that and a handful of fries is shocking even when you factor in theme park prices in my opinion.

Yes that is pretty poor did you ask for a plain burger or do they come like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Draytons competition is pretty cool. It is drawn the day before each date.

If you had pre booked to go today, you get free return tickets.

They just announced tomorrow's (can't find the picture). But if you booked to go tomorrow. You can return to the park for free, as many times as you want until the end of August.
Edit found it.

1000001942.jpg

It is great to see the park doing competitions like this, especially when the park is so busy.

The prices for hot food under the looping group has been shocking like originally at the start of the 2021 season they were charging a price per item then they added a main meal and fries price from the 2022 season with a drink been extra not sure if it’s the same now. As I usually only go 3-4 hours now to the park in the afternoon after we had food at home. When we have eaten at the park I usually go for the funky fries with my reusable cup which is roughly £8.40 with my discount. I wonder if the reason the prices are so high as over half of visitors are eating picnics in the park.
Drayton are having an excellent summer season and I been 3 times so far over the 6 weeks holiday and it’s been very busy with everyone having a good time.
Shame Gold Rush was only on 1 train on Sunday. So the queue was 60 mins+ I asked why and they said train 2 was having new wheels fitted and the sensors on the train looked at and as it needed to run so many times without guests on it again they decided to wait to the Monday morning to get the 2nd train back on the circuit. Is it back to 2 trains again?

The food offering used to be decent in terms of price and quality but it has had a more, ahem, commercial aspect to it in the last couple of years.
I still think some of the food is pretty tasty and as a pass holder there is some decent value in some of the offerings.
But the charges for condiments, no matter how big the sachets, when you've bought a meal is the kind of thing which irks.
The fact that some meals don't allow for already having the reusable cup and purchasing again is another.

A question DistortAMG maybe could answer but I was wondering if you knew or anyone else what type of drop tower Drayton Originally wanted to install as the 1st application which was submitted to the council had to be withdrawn with a new application been submitted and was accepted.
Was it originally gonna go on the site where the Paratower originally was?
Today the Paratower stood roughly where Accelerator’s station building is now.
IMG_4582.jpeg
Look how H&S wasn’t as tough back then with the low fences around the rides.

Last edited:
After looking at their instagram post of this, i think the rewards/prizes aren‘t just for anyone who has booked that day. I believe that instead they are for the winners of a prize draw which happens each day, and you are automatically entered into the prize draw if you have purchased park tickets for that day. Drayton reveal each day what the winners of that day’s prize draw will receive. I doubt they’d be willing to give away a free night over to everyone who booked for Wed 21st August, for example. Hope this makes sense!

After visiting for the first time today for a rather short visit, I’ve gotta say Drayton is a lovely little park! It was absolutely heaving today, with queues reaching 80 mins for The Wave, Gold Rush and Accelerator. Operations on The Wave were also dire, so had to wait 60 minutes for a queue that really should have been less than that, it should not be taking that long to dispatch the train!

Despite that all the coasters are great, Gold Rush was very unique and very nicely themed, luckily I only had to wait 20 minutes as it was the start of the day, so got to experience cycle 1.

IMG_8195.jpeg

The Haunting stood out as well as being an awesome, well themed mad house. Stormforce 10, Air Race and Maelstrom were also really fantastic attractions.

IMG_8204.jpeg

Accelerator & The Wave’s queue line could do with some TLC however, and Sheriff Showdown had a few animatronics not working. Ride availability was mostly decent, but the rapids didn’t open all day, as well as intermittent issues with Loki and Blasting barrels.

Even with the busy day, overall, a good day!

Last edited:
I not been in the main queue of the wave since the beginning of the season. Has the school kids ruined it? I hope with the queues it’s been having this year they think about getting a 2nd train for the wave.