• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

It’ll be some sort of sodor boat tour
I'll take that over nothing any day. However as great as Thomas Land is I don't want to see it absorb the whole park!

If G Force is being removed, the park urgently needs a thrilling roller coaster if it wants to avoid becoming a children's park. I wish they could use some of the money from Thomas Land and take a risk with a new "big" attraction. As nice as a good dark ride is, I don't think it will make many people return

Sadly, as successful as Thomas Land is, it isn't particularly making them much spare profit. Its keeping the park sustainable, but not much else. They invest £3-6 million in a new thrill ride and it doesn't pay off the park ends up in a lot of financial trouble. They'd have to work miracles to be able to afford anything of the quality people keep expecting for some reason. It's sad, but true really.

It's either that or focus on being a family park. I just can't see why anyone out of the area would visit for thrills. They've lost three rides since I went in 2014 plus the Ben 10 theme and Bufallo is rumoured to be leaving as well.

What do you guys propose? It could go either way: Alton Towers has seen lots of success with their new coaster, Blackpool... hasn't (based on how busy the park seems at least).

Maybe what Drayton needs to aspire for is a happy medium between family and thrill, with rides of around Accelerator's thrill level added! If that's what Drayton went for, I reckon a family wooden coaster from the Gravity Group would be a good fit! Enthusiasts who've ridden them seem really pleased with them, and they wouldn't be too dominating for Drayton's key family audience, either! I also reckon Drayton could afford one, as I wouldn't personally guess that they are any worse off financially than the likes of Quassy Amusement Park or Parc Saint Paul (other parks that have family Gravity Groups). If you don't know what I mean by a family Gravity Group coaster, here's some POVs of some of Gravity Group's other work:

Wicker Man has also proven that wooden coasters can be successful with the British public, so I reckon one of these would be a brilliant fit for Drayton!

Maybe what Drayton needs to aspire for is a happy medium between family and thrill, with rides of around Accelerator's thrill level added! If that's what Drayton went for, I reckon a family wooden coaster from the Gravity Group would be a good fit! Enthusiasts who've ridden them seem really pleased with them, and they wouldn't be too dominating for Drayton's key family audience, either! I also reckon Drayton could afford one, as I wouldn't personally guess that they are any worse off financially than the likes of Quassy Amusement Park or Parc Saint Paul (other parks that have family Gravity Groups). If you don't know what I mean by a family Gravity Group coaster, here's some POVs of some of Gravity Group's other work:

Wicker Man has also proven that wooden coasters can be successful with the British public, so I reckon one of these would be a brilliant fit for Drayton!

That would be a good enough "thrill coaster" for me. You're still talking mutli millions of pounds though. Whether that's within reach I don't know

For some reference, Wood Express cost Parc Saint Paul €3,000,000 according to RCDB, which is £2,620,777.55! So around what G Force cost back in 2005, and probably less than what G Force cost if you adjust for inflation!

That would be a good enough "thrill coaster" for me. You're still talking mutli millions of pounds though. Whether that's within reach I don't know
I desperately think they need to do something though. Unless they plan to turn the whole park into Thomas land. There are going to be huge dead areas as the footprint of the rides they are closing/leaving sbno are not insignificant.

I just had another idea of a ride that Drayton Manor could get; why not a Roller Ball from Ride Engineers Switzerland, like Wilde Hilde that recently opened at Schwaben Park in Germany? Here's an RCDB link (https://rcdb.com/15980.htm) and a POV of Wilde Hilde:

This looks like a brilliantly fun family ride to me! I'd also imagine that it costs even less than a Gravity Group would, as there's only 328ft of track! Drayton could also put it virtually anywhere, as it apparently takes up a smaller amount of space than some flat rides! The only hurdle I could potentially see is the ride's height, but I suppose it's only the same height as G Force is/was!

I just had another idea of a ride that Drayton Manor could get; why not a Roller Ball from Ride Engineers Switzerland, like Wilde Hilde that recently opened at Schwaben Park in Germany? Here's an RCDB link (https://rcdb.com/15980.htm) and a POV of Wilde Hilde:

This looks like a brilliantly fun family ride to me! I'd also imagine that it costs even less than a Gravity Group would, as there's only 328ft of track! Drayton could also put it virtually anywhere, as it apparently takes up a smaller amount of space than some flat rides! The only hurdle I could potentially see is the ride's height, but I suppose it's only the same height as G Force is/was!

Would be great, depends on Drayton's height limits though.

I'd love to go to the park again, but i'm a single man in his 40's, would need some kind of thrill coaster there again, as i don't like the idea of going into Thomasland. Would love one of the newer Vekoma models like they have in Poland, that'd get me there again, not to expensive either

The only real draw for me is apocalypse. I like shockwave, but it's not a massive wow ride. The other flat rides are very good too, but I can get a couple of them much closer to home at flamingo land with a better zoo, and more coasters. An off the shelf launch coaster or similar would be the safest option for a big coaster I guess.

The only real draw for me is apocalypse. I like shockwave, but it's not a massive wow ride. The other flat rides are very good too, but I can get a couple of them much closer to home at flamingo land with a better zoo, and more coasters. An off the shelf launch coaster or similar would be the safest option for a big coaster I guess.
I do want to go back to try Apocalypse and Shockwave again. But that's basically it, I'll ride spinny things and water rides if I'm in the mood but I wouldn't go out of my way for one.

I'd return to Lightwater Valley before I would go back to Drayton Manor.

Actually I really think one of @Matt N 's suggestions would be perfect, or some sort of launch coaster would be fantastic but maybe that's aiming too big?

Edit: this is coming from someone who is not at all fussed about zoos.

I just think all non Merlin Theme parks know that kids IP’s is the only thing that’s keeping them going. Paultons Park would be in the same boat as Drayton Manor if it was nearer to a Merlin Park.
If it wasn’t for Thomasland I don’t think the park would still be in business now.
You only got to see Drayton Manor thought the eyes of my 6 year old daughter to see how happy she is there.

I just think all non Merlin Theme parks know that kids IP’s is the only thing that’s keeping them going. Paultons Park would be in the same boat as Drayton Manor if it was nearer to a Merlin Park.
If it wasn’t for Thomasland I don’t think the park would still be in business now.
You only got to see Drayton Manor thought the eyes of my 6 year old daughter to see how happy she is there.
They did very well with Thomas Land, IMO. Probably a more timeless IP than the stuff in CBeebies Land, or Peppa Pig.

They did very well with Thomas Land, IMO. Probably a more timeless IP than the stuff in CBeebies Land, or Peppa Pig.

That’s the thing we went to Alton Towers in summer for her birthday as a family and for 6 she’s to old for CBeebies land the only rides she enjoyed was the Octonauts coaster and the go jetters ride. I spend the most of the 2nd day going on the rides myself as Alton Towers is really geared to 1.2m tall or above or young totters where at Drayton she can go on 80% of the rides and by the summer she should be tall enough for the sit down drop side,Air Race,The Bounty and Stormforce 10.

Just to echo what other people have said...... I managed to sit down and have coffee with someone quite well connected to the park this morning. They have indeed confirmed that G-Force is being removed.

I wonder if it is being sold or scrapped. I would imagine sold. As it will get higher resale value even with the work that needs doing. I am sure some small park would snap it up for the right price, but it is that, dependant on if anyone would want to buy it, its not a guarantee. Much better than the price they would get for scrap value of the track and supports, but that is a guaranteed sale.