• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

@Sauron97

Your earlier post mentions Merlin officials on site? Why? Or should we put two and two together?

Happens at all theme parks. I doubt Merlin will buy Drayton, should think they would prefer it to rot away. However, the Thomas brand is very strong and *allegedly* up for renewal in the next few years. Replacement for Cbeebies land?

I have had a look at the actual accounts which appear on Companies House--the money Drayton owe in the next 5 years or so is shocking. I can't see a new coaster any time soon!!

Happens at all theme parks. I doubt Merlin will buy Drayton, should think they would prefer it to rot away. However, the Thomas brand is very strong and *allegedly* up for renewal in the next few years. Replacement for Cbeebies land?

I have had a look at the actual accounts which appear on Companies House--the money Drayton owe in the next 5 years or so is shocking. I can't see a new coaster any time soon!!

There is certainly a high level of debt there. Perhaps - now thinking out loud here - perhaps Drayton may be sold with the view to making it a park / zoo aimed at the younger market? Not saying merlin will buy it but it’s clear they cannot compete with AT down the road so why not take a different route. Thrill won’t work so under 11 age range perhaps will? There is a need for investment though

They absolutely need to invest. But how can they. They made a 3million loss, had to essentially default on their loan repayments and still have the court case outcome ahead of them. Which bank would offer them more money? They almost owe more than their declared assets.

I do think Thomas is their future.. And the zoo. I have heard that pirates ride will simply be converted into a much larger Thomas themed soft play thus allowing them to have this area open all year round.

There is certainly a high level of debt there. Perhaps - now thinking out loud here - perhaps Drayton may be sold with the view to making it a park / zoo aimed at the younger market? Not saying merlin will buy it but it’s clear they cannot compete with AT down the road so why not take a different route. Thrill won’t work so under 11 age range perhaps will? There is a need for investment though
That would mean the removal of Apocalypse and Maelstrom, two of the best rides in the park. I would be gutted if they were removed. :(

Apocalypse Is kinda a young family to teenage ride as my daughter will be 7 next year and she’s nearly tall enough for the sit down side. Also the Bounty,Air Race and Stormforce 10.
With them debts it would explain why they can’t afford to repair G force or why nothing has been done to the pirate adventure

You know what I think would be the best thing for Drayton to do? They should follow a similar strategy to the one that Paultons have been using these last few years. They already have a lot of the pieces. Paultons have Peppa Pig, Drayton have Thomas. All they have to do is gradually expand on that, replacing the older attractions with fantastic themed areas and family attractions.

Paultons has never been close enough to Towers to have any effect on them, but I would bet that Alton would be worrying if Drayton were to follow a similar route to Paultons. The differences in attitude would become crystal.

Last edited:
You know what I think would be the best thing for Drayton to do? They should follow a similar strategy to the one that Paultons have been using these last few years. They already have a lot of the pieces. Paultons have Peppa Pig, Drayton have Thomas. All they have to do is gradually expand on that, replacing the older attractions with fantastic themed areas and family attractions.

Paultons has never been close enough to Towers to have any effect on them, but I would bet that Alton would be worrying if Drayton were to follow a similar route to Paultons. The differences in attitude would become crystal.
I can't see merlin buying Drayton now as it's not a threat to them, if it became a threat it seems likely they would reconsider.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

They usually have there season/annual pass up for sale/renewal by now. I wonder if they scrapped them for the 2019 season as like me and my daughter visited about 12 times last season and spend roughly £10 on food and sweets every visit. So roughly spend in total £250 last season. Where on online 2 tickets and food would have cost us roughly £60 per visit.

They usually have there season/annual pass up for sale/renewal by now. I wonder if they scrapped them for the 2019 season as like me and my daughter visited about 12 times last season and spend roughly £10 on food and sweets every visit. So roughly spend in total £250 last season. Where on online 2 tickets and food would have cost us roughly £60 per visit.
I really hope they haven’t scrapped them. We visit very regularly and usually spend money buying food or drink. Without a season pass we would probably visit once a year for the fireworks.

In fairness Drayton would fit Merlins portfolio quiet nicely- but I fail to see the point in owning parks so close together

Although the do have chessie and Thorpe I guess.......

I could post Drayton credit rating it’s easily accessible but don’t want to get the forum in any sort of trouble. I will say it has decreased significantly though. This may lead to ride manufacturers wanting cash up front - which if they have got means less chance d investment.
It’s a vicious cycle

I would hope any attempt by Merlin to purchase another UK theme park would be stopped by the competition authorities.

They already have too much of a stronghold on the market which stifles competition and innovation.

In fairness Drayton would fit Merlins portfolio quiet nicely- but I fail to see the point in owning parks so close together

Although the do have chessie and Thorpe I guess.......

I could post Drayton credit rating it’s easily accessible but don’t want to get the forum in any sort of trouble. I will say it has decreased significantly though. This may lead to ride manufacturers wanting cash up front - which if they have got means less chance d investment.
It’s a vicious cycle
Thorpe and Chessington are different markets, Alton and drayton are similar.

Thorpe and Chessington are different markets, Alton and drayton are similar.

I completely disagree there

One is aimed at the thrill / family market - the other has no thrill option really and is aimed at the young family to early teen market.

Looking at it further it clearly does compliment the Merlin portfolio. But as the above post has said surely this would need to be looked st by the authorities....

Unless Merlin are to dispose of a current park soon?

Sure, the family market seems to be where they're heading but to say Drayton is only aimed at children to young teens is unfair in my opinion. Shockwave, G Force, Maelstrom and Apocalypse are definitely "thrill" rides.

And Alton Towers has CBeebies Land to match Drayton's Thomas Land. I would say they're pretty similar, though of course Alton Towers' thrill ride selection is a lot larger