• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

I find it hard to believe they'd give up on a ride due to a part needing to be replaced. I think it's much more than that.
well, this was confirmed during a press event attended by a fellow Towersstreet member:

Hi All, new poster, long time lurker here!

I attended The RCCGB lunch on Sunday, I don't normally go but I'm glad I did! The event was hosted by Colin Bryan the owner of Drayton Manor. He gave some really Interesting information... He's semi-retiring and therefore his sons are taking over and making more of the decisions

There will be a coaster in 2018 replacing the buffalo its manufactured by S&S and it will be a first of its kind but I think it will be more family than thrill. A woody has been designed however that's more 5 years down the line as they're not quite happy with the plan and not quite sure if it suits. Pirate Adventure will not reopen as the manufacturerer of the ride either won't or can't replace the parts I can't remember. The plan is to hopefully split the attraction into two attractions

So sounds like exciting news for Drayton, he did say however it's been one of the worst summers for years

Bring on 2018!

Last edited:
Pirates ride system is from Mack. Excalibur was from bear rides. I imagine its needs major rehab work, and along with the theming also needing a major rehab the park have decided the investment level needed is better spent else where on new attractions. Which is a shame, I remember going on it as a young kid in the early 90's and thinking how amazing it was!

well, this was confirmed during a pres event attended by a fellow Towersstreet member:

I could understand possibly if it were Bear rides but Mack? I find it hard to believe they can't replace a part, or that they won't. Why wouldn't they have the part or why wouldn't they replace it? This is Mack we're talking about.

I think personally it's running costs and the fact it's dilapidated inside and requires a lot of money to fix everything, rather than them say it, they could be blaming the manufacturer. Part is also singular, if it only required one part then why get rid of the whole ride because of it? It just smells a bit iffy to me.

Unless it's a ice blast type of situation? They've tinkered and modified the ride system so much that the original supplier wants nothing to do with it?

Difference being Ripsaw didn't have boards all around it with the actual ride all over them...
I don't understand why some people on this site are so difficult, it's pretty clear it isn't being removed yet some people will still try to prove something.
Well if you have a source for this revelation then fair enough but you saying that because there is a a sign and the park say so doesn't make it true. Alton claim they are doing loads of TLC but in reality they aren't. They will say whatever to keep something a secrete.

I'm not being "difficult" because I just want to argue all I am doing is disagreeing with your conclusions and bring up recent evidence of when something similar happened.

Unless it's a ice blast type of situation? They've tinkered and modified the ride system so much that the original supplier wants nothing to do with it?

If I cared enough I'd tweet Mack asking them for the truth and tag in Drayton.

The ride has been shut as it failed its fire inspection.

That's why it suddenly shut mid season last year without notice.

Not sure on specifics but S&S supposedly won't touch it because BPB have modified it too much from standard spec...allegedly
so did the park refurbish it in the last off season (the seats and restraints were changed from blue and red to both black) themselves, not the manufacturer?

This "dispute" dates back a looooooong time!

I'm sad that Pirates is closing, I missed it last time I went because I didn't want to ride alone! Damn!

I work at a hardware store in Tamworth and Colin Bryan has come in quite a few times over the summer. I have spoke to him a few times and he did state that Pirate Adventure failed it's health and safety inspection to which lots of investment is needed to bring it up to code again. This mirrors exactly what other people have said on the forum in the past and has come from the horses mouth so to speak.

I can't see Mack refusing to replace parts. They still sell this type of boat ride, business's are not business's by refusing custom and I am pretty sure parks and manufactures have a contractual agreements for parts.

to be honest, as Drayton haven't announced their 2018 coaster yet i don't think it will be a major one.

Not announcing it yet doesn't mean they aren't adding a major coaster. Most parks don't announce their plans until late Summer for the following season even when building major new coasters. In fact most UK parks don't announce rides until the winter before.

Blackpool might have Announced their ride but for both Alton and Drayton I would expect any official announcement until atleast this time next year. All we will prob see next season is some signs up in the park hinting at new ride coming around any construction sites etc.

Not announcing it yet doesn't mean they aren't adding a major coaster. Most parks don't announce their plans until late Summer for the following season even when building major new coasters. In fact most UK parks don't announce rides until the winter before.

Blackpool might have Announced their ride but for both Alton and Drayton I would expect any official announcement until atleast this time next year. All we will prob see next season is some signs up in the park hinting at new ride coming around any construction sites etc.
oh yeah, i just realized that Alton haven't officially announced theirs yet either. :oops::banghead:

The lineup at Drayton Manor looks way better than Tower's this year, Including not 1 not 2 but 3 shows (That's more than Tower's have had this year)
OPEN RIDES AND ATTRACTIONS DURING MAGICAL CHRISTMAS INCLUDE:
  • All Thomas Land rides
  • The Carousel
  • Jolly Buccaneer
  • Ben 10: Ultimate Mission Coaster (weather dependant)
  • 4D Cinema - The Polar express
  • Slide & Glide
  • The Zoo (closes at dusk)
The last train from Knapford station will leave at the following times:

On days the park closes at 5pm it will leave at 4.45pm.

On days the park closes at 6pm it will leave at 5.45pm.

Please note: If the park is closing at 5pm, please note there is a parade and show from 4.30pm with fireworks at 5pm. If the park is closing at 6pm, the parade and show is from 5.30pm with fireworks at 6pm.
It's kind of odd how the Polar Express will play out as the Cinema is currently themed to Yogi Bear, could this mean also that there will be a new 4D show for 2017? If the Yogi Bear branding is removed.

Look's like DMTP festive offerings really do pee all over Alton's :D

They are even offering more dates including Santa and fireworks than Alton's, even right up to the end of December....

....and you don't have to be a hotel guest to visit either

The lineup at Drayton Manor looks way better than Tower's this year, Including not 1 not 2 but 3 shows (That's more than Tower's have had this year)

It's kind of odd how the Polar Express will play out as the Cinema is currently themed to Yogi Bear, could this mean also that there will be a new 4D show for 2017? If the Yogi Bear branding is removed.
what's the "Slide & Glide"?

I went a few years ago, and it was the most miserable experience I've ever had at a theme park, and I used to do five day trips to legoland.

May have just been a bad day though. something in their description catches my eye though, "fireworks at 6pm"? more fireworks this season?