• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

Do the Bryans own Hayling Island Funland as well? Or do they just particularly like Drayton's rides?
No ownership, but a relationship of sorts. It's quite common for parks to shop rides to other parks when wishing to sell something, saves a considerable figure on broker fees.

I am pretty certain Klondike was a different coaster to the Python. There were certain small but crucial differences in its design even with the same track layout. I am 90% sure of this. But could be wrong.

I'm pretty sure they were different ZL42 coasters in both track and cars, but shared the same layout. It was because of a very serious safety reason, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was, or where I'd read up on it. They took advantage of it and themed it to Action Park at least, and I agree it helped make Drayton become more of a theme park. It's unfortunate that Drayton hasn't really made an attempt since the late 90s to create themed areas as much, as when they did I think it worked out very well for the parks image. A horror/sci fi haunted house, a wild west shootout, an Oktoberfest themed teacups and an apocalyptic drop tower all right next to each other in the same area, whilst awesome individually, is rather unusual as a collective ride area, especially given they are all well themed. Maybe it's just me, but it almost sounds amusing when you group them up like that :p It's not a huge issue, and it is one they could attempt to change in the long term so I'm sure we can let them off for it...

Yeah, you can still go inside the Pirate Adventure indoor exit path right up to the very end of the room, but the actual exit to Pirate Adventure is obviously sealed off @Themeparksandy1981 . Good use of the area making the front bit of it a locker room. It's probably the only spacious indoor area in the whole park alongside Neptune's Arcade.

I think next years season for Drayton will be an interesting one. Maintenance has been the key issue at the park for a very long time now and has drastically brought down the quality of numerous rides so it's just good to know they are starting to look after their rides more. They've been on a spree of overhauling older rides in the main park over the past couple of years, so you'd only assume that they'd be finishing off all of this with painting Apocalypse and its station, the painting of Stormforce 10 and its associated theming (maybe its worth suggesting to Drayton to putting a new smoke screen in the backwards bit if it was a good effect) and bringing back Splash Canyon. They might be going forward with the major Zoo projects and Pavillion revamp too.

This to me is interesting, because if all of this is done next season, it leaves a nice big gap for investment the season after as the whole of the main park will be up to scratch. And the season after happens to be Drayton's 70th birthday. I think given from what we've heard, there's a very good chance we'll get an exciting investment then. As for Pirate Adventure, I'm sure we'll get somewhere eventually and learn it's fate. If it does relaunch successfully to the quality of the ride we saw in those photos taken in 1990, I'll be very impressed with Drayton and will consider them the best theme park in this country.

If I remember correctly, whilst both had the exact same layout, no. Python was closed for some critical safety reason or other, and replaced with the newer and well themed Klondike in 95.
I never went on Klondike (something to be thankful of I guess?) but I remember a conversation with a ride operator a while back who explained the whole thing was held down by a relatively small water tank in the middle of the ride, where all the supports conjoin! There are some things best not known when you go on a ride, and that is probably one of them! Just imagine if that water tank was accidentally moved!

This is the reason why up until yesterday I had never done a looping coaster. Very very painful experience. Hated it.

G-Force

G-Force will be opening a little later in the day after a prolonged period of downtime from the start of the season. Will be interesting to see what changes have been made!

73fnud.png

Potentially a little later than planned for the park, but it's good news G-Force is up and running for the summer! They need that coaster to provide a better thrill ride offering.

Pirate Adventure

I've found some old photos of Pirate Adventure:
2nvaqt0.jpg

2dt6gar.jpg

e9an89.jpg

261i4i0.jpg

The last one is before any modifications to the building were made, including the Thomas Rides and new Burger Restaurant. As you can see, the Jolly Bucaneer still stands.

And this is how Pirate Adventure was originally described by Drayton Manor when it opened - you can get an idea of the storyline of the ride from this:
j7uo74.jpg

Excalibur

Some construction photos from Excalibur and the now "Castle of Dreams":
208d2c7.jpg

dmzgac.jpg

29xspeb.jpg

2wp2byo.jpg

s5fwbd.jpg

Apocalypse

An old marketing image (before it opened) and a construction image:
im1fyt.jpg

rh3kll.jpg

Most of these images do not belong to me and have been uploaded for others' enjoyment, if they should be removed, please do inform me.

Last edited:
That last photo looks like it was taken in 2002 when they added Stand up Floorless to Tower 5.

G-force has finally opened now yes, but I'll not be visiting until September until the holiday is over, so I can't speak on how good it is after its major car overhaul ... Hopefully it'll make for a more comforting experience though :)

I hope to go on Sunday and will do a big park update.
Also I can confirm that Klondike and Python were the same coaster as I remember going with a friends family around Easter 1995 and Klondike was been repainted and the queue line been build.
The trains were taken away and new carts were fitted to the undercarriage.
Pirate Adventure was the start of Drayton Manor going from a zoo with a amusement area to a theme park and Zoo.
1990 Pirate Adventure,new bumper cars
1992 Jolly Buccaneer
1993 Splash Canyon
1994 Shockwave
1995 Klondike gold mine
1996 The Haunting
1998 Sombrero and Robinson’s area with new kids/family rides added.
1999 Stormforce 10
2000 Golden nuggets/Sheriff showdown,Apocalypse and the Popeye stunt show now the 4D cinema
So for 10 years Drayton really added a good selection of Rides all across the park.
Then the 2000’s the park added some thrill rides while replacing a lot of the 80’s attractions
2002 Maelstrom
2003 Excalibur and the Cyclone
2004 Pandemonium
2005 G-Force
2006 Drunkun Barrels
2007 The Bounty
2008 Thomasland
2009 4D cinema
It’s been since they built there Hotel they really only added more rides to Thomasland and rethemed the haunting,Golden nuggets and the bumper cars ride all there really done is change the movie in the 4D cinema and added:
2011 Ben 10/Accelerator
2014 Air Race

Hi guys. Has G-Force reopened yet, out of interest? Only asking because as a birthday surprise, my parents just told me that they're taking me to Drayton for the first time in 10 years next week! I'm so excited!

Enjoy! It's a nice day out but your top 10 isn't going to change. Having read you say how much you dislike Colossus, I don't think G-Force or Shockwave will do much for you. But they have some nice flat rides and you'll definitely get on more than 2 rides that day.

Enjoy! It's a nice day out but your top 10 isn't going to change. Having read you say how much you dislike Colossus, I don't think G-Force or Shockwave will do much for you. But they have some nice flat rides and you'll definitely get on more than 2 rides that day.
I will thank you, @Stuie! Some of the rides at Drayton look cool and quite unique, so I'd like to get on them! On that note, are there any particular points of interest that I shouldn't miss out on when I visit Drayton, bar the 5 coasters?

I will thank you, @Stuie! Some of the rides at Drayton look cool and quite unique, so I'd like to get on them! On that note, are there any particular points of interest that I shouldn't miss out on when I visit Drayton, bar the 5 coasters?

Apocolypse is one of the better drop towers and I love Maelstrom.

Also, The Haunting is a fun little attraction, - it depends on the 'actors' on the day though.

The Buffalo coaster is actually surprisingly fun set out over the lake.

Thanks guys!

Oh, and what do you mean by "actors" in The Haunting, out of interest? If they're like themed ride hosts, then that's fine. It's only the sort of actors you find in things like scare attractions and DBGT that I don't like.

Also, is the Buffalo coaster anything like RMT at Alton, out of interest? Well, I know it's a Zamperla instead of a Mack, but does it ride similarly? Or is it more of a Scorpion Express?

Furthermore, it says on the website that G-Force is closed today. Hopefully it won't be shut when I go! Also, what is Flying Dutchman, out of interest, because that's also shut.

Last edited: