• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

On the side of Viking’s along that side of the lake will be Thor entrance path and queue line and on the other side of the lake is the train line with the car park road around the rest of the lake.
It be cheaper to buy a new boat or repair the Drayton Queen which is been stored under covers in the storage areas by the hotel.
Imagine if they had built a big Viking boat and guests helped row it round the lake or they did a Viking show where Viking’s raided the village.
Well, if it couldn't Be Drayton Queen they're using, it might explain why they brought out a couple of Excaliburs boats. Very unlikely though, probably only there for additional theming.

I agree that. a path to connect the Shockwave side with Vikings.

A bridge could absolutely be done, it would massively help with crowd safety and movement on busy days.

The lake is very shallow so building a wooden bridge over that would be easily achievable and realtively in expensive.

If it causes issues with the fireworks. Close it for the 4 or so days they are on. It will still be useful for the other 8 months of the year.

As the park look at pushing the gate figures, looking at crowd safety becomes an issue. This is one perfect way to get rid if two dead ends, and get guests flowing. More than one way out of Vikings and more than one way out of Asventure Cove.

Last edited:
It’s the under 6’s play area by Terences driving school. All that area was closed on Sunday and from Shawn Vlog last month the goats have gone.
interesting, it is flooding or is there some work going on it that area? Hardly ever see Terences driving school open. I think I heard of it open 1 day in the past year.

I think it's very important they get this new family thrill coaster because if Shockwave isn't operating, as it isn't today, then the park is pretty much a half day park really. What's worse is the new area isn't ready yet either to compensate for Shockwave being shut so that's a very poor ride offering for the Easter Holidays.

Also can't rely on Shockwave for much longer due to it's age.

As the park look at pushing the gate figures, looking at crowd safety becomes an issue. This is one perfect way to get rid if two dead ends, and get guests flowing. More than one way out of Vikings and more than one way out of Adventure Cove.
1649772113327.png
Would a bridge here be a good location? I understand on a design level it would make the flow and layout of the park a whole lot nicer, but from a guest perspective that's a long walk, I couldn't see the vast majority of guests wanting to use it due to the distance between attractions, yes the current route is longer but they pass many rides on the way past which they may be interested in and the fact that they pass a lot more attractions would make it feel shorter than it actually is for the vast majority of guests. Maybe if they had a stuff to look at along the route, such as theming features or water fountains themed to something like a lake monster, almost having it as another attraction in itself with clear signposting throughout both areas saying something "This way to Adventure Cove/Vikings via the The Drayton Lake Experience". Maybe they could even install some theming features on the pathway opposite the River Rapids akin to something like Haunted Hollow?

Also there's the point of cost, it would undoubtably cost a lot of money, even if logistically feasible infrastructure doesn't have any direct return on investment the same way rides would. Installing a bridge is a great idea which could improve guest flow but I remain sceptical of it's feasibility overall for the various reasons stated above.

I think it's very important they get this new family thrill coaster because if Shockwave isn't operating, as it isn't today, then the park is pretty much a half day park really. What's worse is the new area isn't ready yet either to compensate for Shockwave being shut so that's a very poor ride offering for the Easter Holidays.

Also can't rely on Shockwave for much longer due to it's age.
You raise a good point, shockwave is getting older and more unreliable. As it's still really the star attraction of the park that's really not good for visitors. A new family thrill coaster that can take the spotlight should help to mitigate this. Whatever they get I really hope they choose something that's going to be reliable and eye catching, it needs to be the new flagship ride so that eventually when shockwave does get to the point where it cannot be maintained anymore it isn't as big of a blow as before.

1649772113327.png
Would a bridge here be a good location? I understand on a design level it would make the flow and layout of the park a whole lot nicer, but from a guest perspective that's a long walk, I couldn't see the vast majority of guests wanting to use it due to the distance between attractions, yes the current route is longer but they pass many rides on the way past which they may be interested in and the fact that they pass a lot more attractions would make it feel shorter than it actually is for the vast majority of guests. Maybe if they had a stuff to look at along the route, such as theming features or water fountains themed to something like a lake monster, almost having it as another attraction in itself with clear signposting throughout both areas saying something "This way to Adventure Cove/Vikings via the The Drayton Lake Experience". Maybe they could even install some theming features on the pathway opposite the River Rapids akin to something like Haunted Hollow?

Also there's the point of cost, it would undoubtably cost a lot of money, even if logistically feasible infrastructure doesn't have any direct return on investment the same way rides would. Installing a bridge is a great idea which could improve guest flow but I remain sceptical of it's feasibility overall for the various reasons stated above.

I was thinking further down, but that would work. People will use it, as would staff. It will absolutely help free up guest flow. If someone wanted to go from Vikings direct to Adventure Cove it would be quicker.

I am sorry but I disagree with the logic that people will not use it because it is the long walk. Plenty of examples at Alton Towers to debunk this theory. There are many walks that could be substituted by a slightly longer but more populated walk. That doesnt happen, even more so on busy days.

And just like that, looks like Maelstrom is broken again.

If they can't get them going it could put a real dent in their thrills line up at a key time (Maelstrom, air race, Shockwave).

Will be interesting to see the response if so from general public, could give an indication as to just how 'family' the Park is now.

Been a annual pass holder I do know that when a ride goes down for the young family rides maintenance is there within mins but there doesn’t with the 1.2m tall and above rides. Like the looping group is doing a great job with the up keep of the park but ride downtime has been poor over the past 2 seasons with all the 20+ old attractions having major downtime.

This is not isolated to Drayton Manor or the Looping Group. Alton Towers has had many issues with maintenance of the last few years up to the present day. Other parks in the UK are also having issues.

I suspect issues with sourcing parts, possibly due to brexit and on going skilled labour shortages are playing a big part. Then the old rides requiring more attention they struggle to find the labour hours to fulfil. Resulting in more downtime.

Last edited:
This is not isolated to Drayton Manor or the Looping Group. Alton Towers has had many issues with maintenance of the last few years up to the present day. Other parks in the UK are also having issues.

I suspect issues with sourcing parts, possibly due to brexit, on going skilled labour shortages are playing a big part. Then the old riders requiring more attention they struggle to find the labour hours to fulfil. Resulting in more downtime.

I'm an old rider that requires more attention too.

I suspect issues with sourcing parts, possibly due to brexit, on going skilled labour shortages are playing a big part. Then the old riders requiring more attention they struggle to find the labour hours to fulfil. Resulting in more downtime.
I have to agree been in engineering for 25 years I not seen any new blood in every place I worked over the last 20+ years and I seen the maintenance staff at the parks getting smaller and smaller and the staff who originally worked on the rides 20 years ago had retired or moved on.

interesting, it is flooding or is there some work going on it that area? Hardly ever see Terences driving school open. I think I heard of it open 1 day in the past year.
No it’s not flooded and you could go down there during the Thomas land only events. With the goats now gone and the other animals removed over the past year maybe they gonna add more Thomas land attractions for 2023.

Does Drayton do much in the way of school trips nowadays?

Waiting for The Vikings area to open so I can pay a visit, only visited previously in October 2020 and Shockwave was down all day so really need to return this year.

Does Drayton do much in the way of school trips nowadays?

Waiting for The Vikings area to open so I can pay a visit, only visited previously in October 2020 and Shockwave was down all day so really need to return this year.
Yes they usually start after the 1st week in June and run to the start of the 6 weeks holidays thats why they open every day in June and July. I took my son last July and we managed to get on every Thomas land ride within 2 hours.

Anyone been to drayton this half term, planning a day trip with my family this Tuesday but wondering if it's worth pushing back until next Monday if the crowd levels have been busy

Anyone been to drayton this half term, planning a day trip with my family this Tuesday but wondering if it's worth pushing back until next Monday if the crowd levels have been busy
I'm here at the moment. If you want to get on more rides, I'd say wait. Today is ridiculously busy. Everything has big queues, even the funfair style attractions. At least the Weathers nice I suppose.