• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Dreamland Margate: General Discussion

Scenic Railway restoration update :)

10389135_814375055272333_1465853184728742149_n.jpg

10675715_814375011939004_3347130842410748515_n.jpg

10712714_814375048605667_3122425574471912163_n.jpg

So happy to see it's making good progress :D

Drink up the images, it's probably the only time we're going to see a new wooden coaster be (re)built in this country. Still, it's all exciting stuff nonetheless!

I have a dim memory of going on that odd chairswing when it was at Margate, so the conversion must have been done before it moved.

Reactions: Sam
Dreamland have launched their new website, must say I really like it!

YXxfeYZ.png

The November newsletter has also just been posted, nothing in there that we aren't already aware of really:

The Dreamland Trust said:
The Dreamland Trust is delighted that heads of terms have been agreed with local company, Sands Heritage Ltd, which will become Dreamland's new operator if discussions are successfully concluded. This is a significant milestone in what has been a very long journey, and we are very much looking forward to working with the Sands Heritage team to deliver an outstanding visitor attraction.

Things have been happening very quickly over the past few weeks, with visible work starting on the Scenic Railway, the publication of our drawings showing what the park will look like, and the launch of our new branding, all of which can be seen on the brand new Dreamland website at www.dreamland.co.uk.

There is a real sense at The Dreamland Trust that things are falling into place ready for the reopening of the site next year, thanks to the hard working teams at The Dreamland Trust and Thanet District Council.

The Council is now pressing ahead with the other contracts to rebuild the park, including ride restorations and infrastructure refurbishment, which will see the park cleaned up with new landscaping and a complete revamp of the entrance tunnel, with the park being handed over to the operator next year.

Meanwhile, you can find out about the future of Dreamland at the Dreamland Expo, located in the former amusement arcade at the front of the Dreamland Cinema building, which remains open at weekends, so do drop in and meet the Dreamland Trust team.

kJFvgSo.png

Image: Grade II*-listed Scenic Railway restoration November 2014: The Dreamland Trust Archive

Have another thanks @Kimberley to add to your already burgeoning collection of thanks (likes)!

I like the website, it does evoke a sense of excitement about the project!

Yay for progress :D So nice to see it slowly returning to its former glory :)

Edit: Well I say slow, but progress hasn't actually been that slow at all now I think about it :')

These are the remains of the Scenic Railway restoration after the storm here last night:

B52g7iPCAAAGu3A.jpg
B52g8vZCUAMK-77.png

B52l0baIEAAxA5V.jpg

Such a shame to see! Not sure how much of an impact this will have on the schedule, hopefully not too difficult to rectify? Looks like a lot of work to me ):

Source: @LobsterVanHire on Twitter
Article

Last edited:
Oh bloody hell. :(
It's almost as if some non-existent higher being doesn't want this ride to survive.

That is awful to see, but really, you're restoring a woodie on the coast, you make it strong enough to survive high winds! The fact that the original section still seems intact is more concerning and bizarre than anything.

Indeed, it makes you wonder if corners were being cut somewhere? The original section is almost a century old, and has survived countless storms, fire, German bombs, you name it. But the newly built structure crumbles in the first strong breeze?

I have to wonder if this was due to the unfinished nature of the build. to me some parts look like they have been dragged down by other sections. which would be consistent with an unconnected end not being supported for higher winds than normal and moving too far.

Seems like the coaster gods are making life hard for us UK enthusiasts for any good thing in this country over the past few years. Let's not lose hope now like we normally do, the wood doesn't look too bad, though I think with it being the first time the country has built/rebuilt a woody so I suppose it could lead to some problems...

As if woodies didn't have a bad enough image in this country already. The "wood's not safe" brigade will flip when they hear about this. :/

Are there any upto date pics of the coaster?

This was just on the local news and they showed a shot of the coaster from a distance, to me it looked like there was hardly any of the original structure left. The fires left a big gap in the middle, but it looked like they've taken most of the rest of the structure down, including both turnarounds.

Someone will ask how can it be orignal, then one of the ride operators will say, "Well here's a picture of it, what more do you want?":expressionless:

Here are some recent photos before the collapse from the storm:

2lntmpv.jpg

210jfgg.jpg

2q15p37.jpg

cosad.jpg

Gives an idea of how much of the original structure is still intact :) Lots more photos through that link as well if you want a better look!

Source: I <3 Dreamland

Last edited: