• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Dreamland Margate: General Discussion

I would assume it's the drive wheel for the lift cable. The bit on the left will be a clutch of some kind.

Managed to dig up some information from the previous newsletters :)

This is what it used to look like in the engine room:
DSCF4282.jpg

And here it is taken apart for restoration:

'Final dive shaft with the driven chain sprocket and rope drive pulley'
nOjT3G5.png

'Main flat belt drive wheel'
EIqFmzH.png

@DiogoJ42 was right :D What a difference, I must say I do really like the green colour :)

I hope they'll have the drivetrain on display like Flying Machines at Blackpool, or at the very least run tours that allow you to see it.

I'm assuming the rope drive propels the trains to the top of the lift hill then instead of a chain, just like Rutschebanen at Tivoli? Also, I wonder what purpose the clutch serves? I initially thought it might be used to control drive to the lift rope if the motor runs the belt drive constantly (possibly to avoid the belt slipping on starting), but it doesn't look very sophisticated so I'd have thought it'd do more harm than good!

It does indeed use the same lift mechanism, with the Brakeman having to clamp on to the cable. I'm not sure, but I think it may be a single continuous cable for both lifts?

As for the clutch, I would guess it's to protect the motor if the cable gets snagged.

Just seen an announcement on Facebook that Ben Rowe has been announced as Operations Manager for Dreamland Margate.

Can't find much information about him, but it looks like he's previously worked for Pleasurewood Hills and Yesterday's World in Great Yarmouth so it's good to know he's from the industry :)

Ian from Coasterforce said:
I hate to be 'that guy' but there is a provisional opening date for Dreamland but I can't say. Sorry.

The park will open with a selection of attractions soon. And yes, there will be a CF-Live.

That's interesting, by "soon" that could imply that the Scenic won't be open for when the park opens?

Probably not, looking at the state it's in! :p

Although, it could provide a interesting opportunity for tours and talks about its reconstruction and wind-based challenges it's faced!

If they've got a couple of rides that they can get up and open (the Big Apple coaster and whatever else they're opening with, probably a few children's flats) then it makes sense to get them open and bringing in a bit of cash whilst they continue to work on the Scenic. Market is as a preview and there'll be no problem.

It would be nice if they have one of them small cinema attractions, showing the entire history of the park on film. Kinda like that film about Walt Disney at DHS.

Ok, so you won't go in there multiple times a day, but the park has enough history to make it worthwhile.

Just been to Margate for work and I must say they have a lot of work to do! The scenic railway looks great though, but everything else including the entrance looks in dire need of a spruce up.

That's because the Scenic Railway is the main priority at the moment. I wouldn't worry about anything else, the time will come and everything else will be looking just grand.

I was having a look on Ride Rater, and they have spotted that Dreamland applied for planning permission to install a Big Wheel last month :) The documents can be found here.
Dreamland said:
R3.0 Big Wheel 215DRE - 265

As described in the analysis, the park is surrounded on all sides by structures that contain and defined its boundaries but that can make it feel a little cut off from the rest of Margate. The big wheel therefore provides guests with an opportunity to take a journey up into the air and see both the amusement park below and the town and coastline beyond. Equally the wheel will create an instantly recognisable landmark and a symbol for its re-birth.

The proposed wheel has been brought from an amusement park in Sofia. It will be dismantled, refurbished and re-assembled on site. The recycling of the big wheel from another attraction is part of Dreamlands approach to its new proposed collection of rides. Of the limited number of wheels available to the market this was felt to offer best value and be of an appropriate scale to the site.

The wheel has been carefully located in plan so that it provides a panoramic view of Margate sea front, harbour, Turner Center and old town. It also located such that it does not directly face Arlington house or the residential block to the South. When shown on 215DRE-260 you can also see how the big when have been carefully placed relative to the Scenic Railway, such that it appears to neatly sit within a gap formed by a drop in the elevation of the ride.

The Big Wheel comes complete with integral feature lighting that will articulate its structure at night, as identified on the drawing.

xIjxn7R.png

Full drawing
Rides plan

It looks like the wheel is about 34m tall, so not as big as its predecessor - hopefully it'll be approved :)

It's a shame they couldn't get hold of one on the same scale as the old wheel, that thing was huge.

Is that right next to an airport, or does the park just have an old airliner sitting around for theming? :p