• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drinks Capsules

It doesn't make sense for hygiene issues as the MAP bottle is your own bottle, you have to clean it yourself at home anyway... Unless it's got some secret future technology that destroys all evil bacteria without destroying the taste or texture of the drink... if that's the case Merlin why can't you fund a nicer bottle design rather then future technologies!

What I should've made clear in my post is that whereas normal bottles tend to be too tall, MAP bottles fit underneath easily with a large gap between the bottle and nozzle.

But yeh, still not really convinced that's a valid reason at all.

The hygiene issue is probably due to the fact that your standard plastic drinks bottles are only designed for single use. So if you constantly wash them out and reuse them it can start to wear off the plastic on the inside and into your drinks.

It's unlikely to happen I would have thought. However, for legal reasons they are safer to say no then to have someone get ill and blame the parks drinks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

All I'm hoping for is at the very least a capsule which doesn't break within the first two visits of normal use!

A decent capsule really is needed. If other parks can get it right, why have Merlin found it so difficult? Couldn't they have just ordered capsules from the same supplier as one of the parks I mentioned in my first post? :p

So I have my new MAP card and it does indeed have a circle with a Drinks capsule notation above it. Do we know how they are intending to mark this since any pen etc will just clear off it?

Islander said:
They'll be punching a shaped hole into that circle :)

Still not that hard to replicate thanks to the power of internet, unless they had a custom design whihc I doubt.

Lets just wait and see

Even if it's not a basic circle, I bet it's a standard shaped hole punch you could buy somewhere like Hobycraft. I doubt they would fork out for the cost of tooling and producing a new unique punch. They are only going to need a few for each park, so it wouldn't be cost effective.

DiogoJ42 said:
Even if it's not a basic circle, I bet it's a standard shaped hole punch you could buy somewhere like Hobycraft. I doubt they would fork out for the cost of tooling and producing a new unique punch. They are only going to need a few for each park, so it wouldn't be cost effective.

I would have thought they would have needed quite a few for each park (every drinks outlet plus spares) but for once I agree with you that I dont see them going too far.

I'd have thought you would have to get it punched at guest services when you buy your pass. So they would not need one for every outlet, just three or four per park.

DiogoJ42 said:
I'd have thought you would have to get it punched at guest services when you buy your pass. So they would not need one for every outlet, just three or four per park.

They'll need them at the places which sell them, especially for us out of season people (unless they start selling them at the Midway attractions)...

So they'll need a fair few hole punchers I reckon, and they might as well be bespoke kit, not that hard to produce a small design (say a Merlin logo M) and use whatever manufacturing process (I guess lasercutting or perhaps ironically, stamping) to shape it... Especially if they design one that doesn't need to be replaced every year...

I just posted about a photo update from California's Great America's opening day over in the Gold Striker topic and that site also has an image of their drinks capsules too:

IMG_3318.jpg

I like the "opening day" sticker on it! Looks like a pretty sturdy capsule too, much like the ones I got from Florida. :p

To really combat people re-using it, they could have stickers like that with the date on it, and if they wanted to be really fancy they could have a barcode that the staff scan when you refill it, which would only be valid on the day you bought it.

Writing the date on the bottle this year at towers is a step in the right direction, but can simply be rubbed off and changed. A sticker would be harder to abuse.

Why you can't produce capsules with a barcode / YourDay RFID chip, then have self use terminals, that only work when the capsule is used on that day, can't be used more than once every half hour etc.

^ Exactly the system the CocaCola Freestyle cups use at Universal Orlando. You can pay a discounted rate to add an extra 24 hours.

Actually, that's a point... I know the Quencher's are cheap as it is, but if the park are making an effort to enforce the one-day use this year, then why can't you bring them back to be re-used at a reduced date the next day or later in the season? It would make sense and would look good for the park (encouraging recycling etc)