• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Duel: The Haunted House Actually Strikes Back - Refurb Incoming

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I think it’s time the Zombies left the building. Keep 80% of the scenes the same but replace everything after the graveyard section.
As for the ghosts I think some need to be moved or even replaced.
Also instead of having red or green LED’s everywhere have them interact with items or the ghosts when hit like in Drayton Manor’s.

I think an IP is almost nailed on guys if they do anything. They aren't going to spend a couple of million quid or possibly more to fix it up without getting the benefit of attracting new guests to it. I doubt fixing up the broken effects is going to create that much fuss among guests. It will still be walk on 99% of the time if they choose this path.

An IP creates buzz and hype. It will almost certainly mean there will be queues and obviously all the merch and marketing possibilities it brings.

I could be wrong but I just don't think Merlin do sentimentality.

An IP creates buzz and hype. It will almost certainly mean there will be queues and obviously all the merch and marketing possibilities it brings.

But an IP doesn't guarantee any of those things. Look at Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, it basically managed none of those achievements.

Ice Age faired a little better, on the merch front certainly, but even then seemed like a very expensive endeavour for a small return on investment. And how quickly the park dropped it shows that the figures really didn't add up.

If you re-root that IP money into a good quality marketing campaign (note - it has been a long time since AT invested in a good quality marketing campaign) you can often set yourself up for the same level of buzz, hype and queues - plus the returns are higher because the profit isn't being split on merch.

These for me have limited appeal to the public and once out of fashion the ride will just fall into disrepair. We only have to look at how quickly the Nickelodeon theatre and CATCF lasted before being mothballed.
Charlie didn’t fall out of fashion, it only had a 10 year agreement with the Dhal estate and they couldn’t renew. Then it was mothballed following the Smiler incident I think as they didn’t want to spend money.
I expect if they had a 20 year agreement to use the characters it would still be operating.

Given that @Trooper Looper seems fairly happy about what they were told, is it fair to assume that it might be to do with some sort of refurb of the existing ride as opposed to a retheme or brand new ride?

In fifty years of not believing anything ride ops say because the vast majority lie for fun, I won't be holding my breath!
I agree that A mere ride host probably isnt the most reliable way to get info, but Duels crew have been right before, when I asked if the rides 30th anniversary would be celebrated, and it happened, though not as much as I hoped it would, but that can be blamed on myself. We got some little 30th anniversary Easter eggs hidden inside the attraction, the original Vestibule Soundtrack returned, and a wooden Grave celebrating The Haunted Houses 30th anniversary.

If they didn't lie about that, then I do trust them on this, but not fully because the 30th anniversary celebration was most likely done by them, and Duels future has nothing to do with them, as they're mere ride Hosts and Operations, who don't have the authority to alter the ride as they please.

But an IP doesn't guarantee any of those things. Look at Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, it basically managed none of those achievements.

Ice Age faired a little better, on the merch front certainly, but even then seemed like a very expensive endeavour for a small return on investment. And how quickly the park dropped it shows that the figures really didn't add up.

If you re-root that IP money into a good quality marketing campaign (note - it has been a long time since AT invested in a good quality marketing campaign) you can often set yourself up for the same level of buzz, hype and queues - plus the returns are higher because the profit isn't being split on merch.

You answered your own point. Merlin aren't capable these days which is why I can see an IP being what they go for if they do anything to it at all. After all these are just rumours.

If they announce the Haunted House V2 as their new attraction for 2023 then I will be very happy along with many of posters on here too I'm sure. I very much doubt it would be as huge pull for guests though which was my point.

An IP is easy for Merlin which is why they love them.

They don't need to bother with any original ideas, they can build a ride with zero story on the expectation guests know the IP, if it does badly its the IP that's wrong not Merlin.

Its the lowest hanging fruit in theme park theming.

We won't get stranger things, if Netflix take one look at how Merlin treat their current IPs they'll refuse. It will be another Universal brand (i.e. ghostbusters) as they are just happy to get the money and their brand gets some income and awareness.

Last edited:
In fifty years of not believing anything ride ops say because the vast majority lie for fun, I won't be holding my breath!

There should be some sort of forum rule on this ‘I know something you don’t know’ twaddle.

I see two options:
1) if you’ve found something out - share it
2) unless your in the know - through work, etc. then don’t say anything at all.

I’d sooner someone know something and keep quiet then the whole ‘I heard SW9 is a hybrid wooden dive coaster that goes through the haunted house and in nemesis pit - but I cant tell you my source’ twaddle

But there is nothing like the fun of such rumours.
I have made them up with ride staff on the Beach for years, all good dishonest fun.
The truth is overrated.
Time decides what is true, not "sources".
Icon, RMC makeover 2024.
You heard it here first.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.