• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Duel: The Haunted House Actually Strikes Back - Refurb Incoming

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
There should be some sort of forum rule on this ‘I know something you don’t know’ twaddle.

I see two options:
1) if you’ve found something out - share it
2) unless your in the know - through work, etc. then don’t say anything at all.

I’d sooner someone know something and keep quiet then the whole ‘I heard SW9 is a hybrid wooden dive coaster that goes through the haunted house and in nemesis pit - but I cant tell you my source’ twaddle
Still not telling ya anything mate :)
Was told by the Host not to share it in great detail sorry.

To be quite perfectly honest, if a ride host is telling random guests about what they believe is going to happen then they can't have too many complaints when it spills out on to the internet. Of course if you know them as a friend that is a little different, but posting something along the lines of I know something you can't know is always going to cause some pushback on a public forum.

Hosts are not always the best source of information either, there's a lot of excitement when they do hear something in passing (often from someone above them like a Senior/Op/Manager), it doesn't always turn out that thing will happen, you understand that it's something that might happen until an attraction has been closed and passed onto somewhere like Merlin Magic Making.

Plans don't always make it into fruition and with the age of social media, the mere mention of something happening from someone in any official capacity could dictate the narrative or media and Alton Towers as a business could potentially suffer as the marketing department is no longer in complete control of the narrative. It's not like 15+ years ago where a manager or someone significant could disclose something in passing to one person and it not really affect the business side of the company, for example when John Wardley disclosed to the Rollercoaster Club of Great Britain that Alton Towers was getting a B&M invert in 1993 after they rode Batman in Chicago, something like that now would 100% leak out on social media and every forum and enthusiast would know about it and anyone with any curiosity with what's happening would know exactly what's going on in one Google search.

Hosts are not always the best source of information either, there's a lot of excitement when they do hear something in passing (often from someone above them like a Senior/Op/Manager), it doesn't always turn out that thing will happen, you understand that it's something that might happen until an attraction has been closed and passed onto somewhere like Merlin Magic Making.

Plans don't always make it into fruition and with the age of social media, the mere mention of something happening from someone in any official capacity could dictate the narrative or media and Alton Towers as a business could potentially suffer as the marketing department is no longer in complete control of the narrative. It's not like 15+ years ago where a manager or someone significant could disclose something in passing to one person and it not really affect the business side of the company, for example when John Wardley disclosed to the Rollercoaster Club of Great Britain that Alton Towers was getting a B&M invert in 1993 after they rode Batman in Chicago, something like that now would 100% leak out on social media and every forum and enthusiast would know about it and anyone with any curiosity with what's happening would know exactly what's going on in one Google search.
That's why I'm not saying much, because it might not happen at all like you said when a big part of it leaks in heavy detail.

There should be some sort of forum rule on this ‘I know something you don’t know’ twaddle.

I see two options:
1) if you’ve found something out - share it
2) unless your in the know - through work, etc. then don’t say anything at all.

I’d sooner someone know something and keep quiet then the whole ‘I heard SW9 is a hybrid wooden dive coaster that goes through the haunted house and in nemesis pit - but I cant tell you my source’ twaddle
Great idea there, and something I've been meaning to do for a while actually @Jb85. We'll get something amended in the member expectations soon.

As Rob has already mentioned, please ensure you contribute to discussion when posting. Simply saying "I know something you don't" isn't doing so, it simply serves to cause a load of pointless posts on whether that person really knows something, rather than actually focussing on discussion about the actual ride.

It's very simple. If you know something and it won't cause issues for what you feel is a reliable source in revealing it, then by all means feel free to post about it. If you have got some information, and you don't want to post it because it'll get that person into trouble then keep quiet. Don't hint, allude or post any winky face emojis. It comes across as boasting and serves zero purpose to progressing discussion in the topic. For the time being, I'll remind people of this part of the current member expectations too:

Lucky enough to work in the industry?​

If you work in the theme park industry, especially at Alton Towers or Merlin Entertainments attractions, then please be aware that parks can and do monitor online communities such as TowersStreet. We welcome anyone to contribute, but it’s best to ensure before posting that nothing that you say can be interpreted as being representative of the park or company that you work for. It’s worth checking your terms and conditions of employment if you’re not 100% sure on your employer’s stance on employees posting on online communities.
Remember, it's not difficult to whittle down who works on the likes of Duel. Even just posting about the fact that you found something out that you feel you can't share can wind up management at a theme park. It can (and indeed has in the past) result in more hassle for staff who are already working hard in their roles at the resort.

If we could get back to discussion and speculation on the actual ride, rather than whether a ride host is a reliable source for some information that we don't even know about that'd be just wonderful :).

Edit: Further off topic posts will be deleted.

Last edited:
Not sure if a Merlin Magic Making Trailer would turn up if it's being used for scarefest, could be wrong though.
Something must be happening now surely.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.