• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Duel: The Haunted House Actually Strikes Back - Refurb Incoming

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Other potential is they are planning on taking out a lot of the ride vehicles for refurbishment mid-season so expect longer queues.

It’s well know they want to upgrade the control system and some rumours suggest getting rid of the guns so that might explain clearing the queue extension early if they are taking a phased approach to a refurb.
I'm still kinda new to the site, but what's wrong with Duels ride system? It's incredibly reliable, a bloody high throughput, and a one of a kind system. The only reason it stops nowadays in the ride is to load guests from wheelchair access.

So, if they're going to do any work I presume they're just going to order a newer version of the hardware by mack, and just replace the old ones for wear and tear? So, theyll keep the cars, just replace the hardware and it'll preform the same, but will last longer over time? I presume that's what they're aiming for.

Last edited:
I'm still kinda new to the site, but what's wrong with Duels ride system? It's incredibly reliable, a bloody high throughput, and a one of a kind system. The only reason it stops nowadays in the ride is to load guests from wheelchair access.

So, if they're going to do any work I presume they're just going to order a newer version of the hardware by mack, and just replace the old ones for wear and tear? So, theyll keep the cars, just replace the hardware and it'll preform the same, but will last longer over time? I presume that's what they're aiming for.

It’s 30 years old, the hardware is fine but it’s an analogue control system mostly. The system is surprisingly complex for its time and does things like in the event of an evacuation drives the cars to stop as close to the nearest exit as possible, and I imagine they just want to ensure all the various safety controls are up to standard.

One thing I do think is that I’m not sure Merlin Magic Making would be involved if it were simply a refurbishment/rejuvenation of the existing Duel ride.

The last refurb in 2018 was very much park-led, and a lot of Merlin dark ride refurbishments tend to be park-led as opposed to having any MMM involvement. MMM only tend to be involved if it’s a vaguely substantial CAPEX investment into something new.

So my prediction is that we will see the ride materially changed in some way compared to its 2022 form. Whether that be a retheme, a large scale rejuvenation of the existing concept or a ground-up new ride, I don’t know, but I think that whatever comes out of this will go further than a simple plussing of what’s already there.

It’s 30 years old, the hardware is fine but it’s an analogue control system mostly. The system is surprisingly complex for its time and does things like in the event of an evacuation drives the cars to stop as close to the nearest exit as possible, and I imagine they just want to ensure all the various safety controls are up to standard.
Call me an idiot, but what exactly is an analogue control system?

Also, I never knew how advanced the ride system was, it can automatically stop at the nearest fire exit? That's incredible!! I dint even think modern Datk ride systems can do that.

One thing I do think is that I’m not sure Merlin Magic Making would be involved if it were simply a refurbishment/rejuvenation of the existing Duel ride.

The last refurb in 2018 was very much park-led, and a lot of Merlin dark ride refurbishments tend to be park-led as opposed to having any MMM involvement. MMM only tend to be involved if it’s a vaguely substantial CAPEX investment into something new.

I am being way too optimistic, but maybe, just maybe they could be doing a full re-imagination led by Merlin.

In the same way that Disney don't involve Imagineers in standard maintenance but they would in larger projects, MMM should be consulted more often on larger works.

I really can’t put my finger on what would be the most likely plan. If a large refurb is due, why would they start with the old queue line, which by the time the refurb is done, will just need clearing again. It’s surprising how quickly the woods take over if no one is walking the queue line.

I guess I’m just a bit of a pessimist when it comes to TLC and refurbs at AT.

MMM have a base on-site, so just because one of their vans is parked in a backstage area, surely this can’t be a sure fire sign of a huge refurb.

Hope I’m wrong though!

MMM have a base on-site, so just because one of their vans is parked in a backstage area, surely this can’t be a sure fire sign of a huge refurb.

Hope I’m wrong though!
A sure fire sign it may not be, but I’d say that it adds a fair amount of weight to the rumour. Every time an MMM van has been sighted next to an attraction or area in the past, that area has been the site of new CAPEX not long after.

An MMM van was sighted outside Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in summer 2018; hey presto, The Alton Towers Dungeon opens there in 2019.

An MMM van was sighted outside House of Monsters/Wobble World in summer 2019; hey presto, Gangsta Granny opens there in 2021 (would have been 2020 had it not been for COVID).

With that in mind, I’d say that it’s fairly likely that this van could be signalling CAPEX on the site of Duel in the not too distant future. MMM don’t tend to get involved with rides, particularly older ones that weren’t even built by Merlin, unless it entails some element of CAPEX into something new and materially different.

I believe Merlin Magic Making were involved with the 2016 refurb of Tomb Blaster when they changed the target system and relit the scenes but I don't believe there were any changes to actual ride or theme itself.

Whereas the 2018 refurb of Duel was undertook by the Entertainments Techies within Alton Towers, although on a smaller scale to Hex in 2016, they're currently responsible for maintaining all the effects on Wicker Man, World of David Walliams, Dungeons and CBeebies Land (plus seasonal events eg stage setups and mazes) so hopefully post-Duel refurb/retheme it'll get passed onto them meaning effects will continue to be reliable after reopening, whatever work MMM undertake with the ride.

EDIT: I stand corrected (below) in regards to the 2018 refurb.

Last edited:
I may be looking into this too much, but just to cut of any rumours of the trailer behind Duel being used as storage or there as storage. Below are 4 photographs, and credit to TowersStreet for them. The first two are of when the trailer appeared in David Walliams World, which shows the long blue thing (don't know what it is), and this is present in the Duel photo too. The third photo, shows the back of the trailer, and clearly the number plate has changed, but, there is some white writing on the back, which I can't quite make out what it reads. However, since, this been covered up by blue tape, which sort of confirms it to be the same trailer. This is shown in the Duel and David Walliams photos. The rear lights of the trailer are also identical to the Dungeon ones. There are also the same white things present on the top of the trailer. Never thought I'd study trailers so hard but hey ho.
Sorry if this is a bit too in-depth and I'm taking it too far, but I'm just excited to see what will happen. Surely this is some confirmation.

David Walliams 1.jpgDavid Walliams 2.jpgDungeons.jpgDuel.jpg

The CATCF attraction was quite clearly fenced off and closed in that picture, and I’m pretty sure House of Monsters only lasted 2 years, then closed in 2018.

Duel is still operating.

Let’s just imagine they’re offloading equipment into the show building. From what looks like a Luton van with an awning, this wouldn’t take more than 1/2 hour at most. Have we got any more pictures apart from this one? MMM could have literally just been dropping off a replacement prop which needed a bit more work than AT Ents team had time for.

I had a DPD van parked outside my house for a few hours yesterday and my basement is now a regional warehouse for them.

Whereas the 2018 refurb of Duel was undertook by the Entertainments Techies within Alton Towers, although on a smaller scale to Hex in 2016, they're currently responsible for maintaining all the effects on Wicker Man, World of David Walliams, Dungeons and CBeebies Land (plus seasonal events eg stage setups and mazes) so hopefully post-Duel refurb/retheme it'll get passed onto them meaning effects will continue to be reliable after reopening, whatever work MMM undertake with the ride.
It was planned by Alton Towers management, with a cross section of technicians carrying out the works from entertainments, technical services and the MMM scenic workshop.

A project controlled by MMM would be very differently procured to one done internally. We'd not know if the MMM van was a sign of just using a few hands from the nearby workshop or if a project actually produced by MMM was in the works.

The Tomb Blaster 2020 revamp was MMM produced and mainly contracted to an external studio.

Brief history of Duel's many projects big and small:

1992 original design & build by Sparks Creative
1992 Spring & Summer alterations by Sparks requested by Alton Towers
1993 new scene by T.H.E
1994-96 minor alterations by Alton Towers in house
1999 revamp by Tussauds Studios (MMM)
2003 Duel revamp by Tussauds Studios (MMM)
2010-12 minor alterations in house
2016/17? all lighting changed to LED
2018 TLC minor alterations in house

It was planned by Alton Towers management, with a cross section of technicians carrying out the works from entertainments, technical services and the MMM scenic workshop.

A project controlled by MMM would be very differently procured to one done internally. We'd not know if the MMM van was a sign of just using a few hands from the nearby workshop or if a project actually produced by MMM was in the works.

The Tomb Blaster 2020 revamp was MMM produced and mainly contracted to an external studio.

Brief history of Duel's many projects big and small:

1992 original design & build by Sparks Creative
1992 Spring & Summer alterations by Sparks requested by Alton Towers
1993 new scene by T.H.E
1994-96 minor alterations by Alton Towers in house
1999 revamp by Tussauds Studios (MMM)
2003 Duel revamp by Tussauds Studios (MMM)
2010-12 minor alterations in house
2016/17? all lighting changed to LED
2018 TLC minor alterations in house
It's had quite a few changes (for the worse) over the years. Well, let's hope MMM attempt call the remaining former Spark Creative Employees left to help them with Duel. It needs some of that Original Haunted House charm reintroduced.

Well, let's hope MMM attempt call the remaining former Spark Creative Employees left to help them with Duel. It needs some of that Original Haunted House charm reintroduced.
Most the key people from Sparks that produced it with John Wardley are no longer about sadly. Although I have most the production records from the original project after the studio closed and the archives donated to me, I had offered it to the park if it would be any help a while ago.

Most the key people from Sparks that produced it with John Wardley are no longer about sadly. Although I have most the production records from the original project after the studio closed and the archives donated to me, I had offered it to the park if it would be any help a while ago.
That such a shame to hear, may they all rest I'm Peace :(

On a more positive tone, I bet you feel lucky holding all of those rare pieces of footage and photos they gave you. Thank you for trying to share it to Merlin if they ever need it, if they have accepted any of your materials, I'm more than excited to see Duels future :D

That such a shame to hear, may they all rest I'm Peace :(

On a more positive tone, I bet you feel lucky holding all of those rare pieces of footage and photos they gave you. Thank you for trying to share it to Merlin if they ever need it, if they have accepted any of your materials, I'm more than excited to see Duels future :D
To be honest @Trooper Looper I am surprised you haven't asked to see the records yourself and then learn to make 3D models and done a John Wardley and build your own Duel in your garage. ;)

The part they have cleared and tidied is a part of the queue I don’t think has been used for at least 8-10 years, maybe longer. On my visit a few weeks ago it was completely overgrown and not in a suitable condition. Now it’s spotless.

However I do find it odd that they would tidy the extension queue so early if the ride is going to be closed for a refurbishment. As of course by next March it will all need cleaning and tidying up again.

Like others have said. You usually only see that Merlin Magic Making van when new projects are happening, eg outside the dungeons, Walliams, CBeebies Land, Wicker Man, etc.
It suggests that they're probably adding something into the area where the extended queue is. Not just cleaning up to be used for the renovations queue. Tbh I think TPW does actually know something but isn't allowed to say. He's been suggesting it's the last year to ride Duel since the start of this year, before even posting the updates he has.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.