• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Duel: The Haunted House Actually Strikes Back - Refurb Incoming

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
An I correct in saying the old on ride photo sales booth used to be in that sort of empty room immediately after exiting the station where you do a 180 degree turn? I am pretty sure it was when it was the Haunted House.

I wonder is the success of this will be used to gauge the possibility of other large scale dark rides in the park.
I believe you are, it was moved to it's current location as it kept getting too crowded.

Anyway, 1 week left to get those last rides on Duel folks!

Interesting points, i certainly don’t know Garmendales exact capability’s but given the fact they’ve used them recently I suspect they have this capability in house. The dullard minutiae of how it’s done is probably not one for this thread but I’ll drop you a DM.
The "dullard minutiae" is about the only reason I keep checking this thread; without that it's just a weird compilation of baseless conjecture and rose tinted specs!

Please feel free to share the nuts and bolts :)

If the ride is due to close in 7 days time on the 6th September which it looks like it will, do you think the park should have announced this by now?

Not necessarily to build excitement, but I bet there a lots of people who’d like to ride it in its current state one last time.

Yeah it is poor planning there is no warning on there website saying “Down for planned seasonal maintenance etc.” like other parks do.

Side note do you feel we will see the crypt go? It be nicer to open the area up and see more of the cottage again, I feel a creepy (low down) water feature with mister sprays would fit the courtyard/cottage feel perfectly.

Also as mentioned above I definitely feel a spooky food/drinks outlet would compliment the area nicely. Just not in the middle, maybe further back if possible with some seating. Lots of fog machines for opening day please haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To put things into perspective.....

My Mrs and 2 kids (14 and 11) are gutted Duel is closing....it's actually pretty popular you know!

My little niece and nephew (13 and 15) are similarly gutted - they had no idea it was closing and certainly for my niece it's her favourite ride. Whilst I know Duel isn't an attraction that people would specifically visit AT to experience, certainly for myself it's one that I always go out of my way to ride on each visit.

I think that's why a lot of folk on here need to temper their expectations a bit - Merlin aren't coming at this from the point of view that this thread has sometimes been pushing; "oh it's dreadful, it needs a complete teardown" they're likely using throughput figures, GP feedback forms and focus groups, and tackling it more from a "we need to improve reliability and update this thing"

Anyway. I can't do 6th Sept, so I've booked my trip on Thursday for two final rides - one last attempt at a high score, and one final non-blaster run!

Yeah it is poor planning there is no warning on there website saying “Down for planned seasonal maintenance etc.” like other parks do.

Side note do you feel we will see the crypt go? It be nicer to open the area up and see more of the cottage again, I feel a creepy (low down) water feature with mister sprays would fit the courtyard/cottage feel perfectly.

Also as mentioned above I definitely feel a spooky food/drinks outlet would compliment the area nicely. Just not in the middle, maybe further back if possible with some seating. Lots of fog machines for opening day please haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm hoping that they'd chose for a more open and zombieless crypt. The current roofed Crypt really blocks your view of the Facade, with the only good photo opportunities being taken from the side.

See how it blocks the main view of it, ruining that grand atmosphere entrance when you walk up to the area.

First two photos are from Towers Times from when it was the HH outside.

3rd photo is its current Duel state.

Attachments

• hauntedhouse01.jpg
    hauntedhouse01.jpg
    643.6 KB · Views: 64
  • hauntedhouse04-1.jpg
    hauntedhouse04-1.jpg
    469.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 46821310345_7d05ff0bde_c.jpg
    46821310345_7d05ff0bde_c.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Yes I agree it looks so much better! The whole zombie theme needs to go all together, hopefully we can see little improvements to outside too. I actually forgot there was a second Pilar too the left.
They need to cut down all of the plants that's grown around the house and turrets, but keep the bushes, and trees around the queue and behind the Facade.

They need to cut down all of the plants that's grown around the house and turrets, but keep the bushes, and trees around the queue and behind the Facade.
I disagree, the ivy and stuff growing on the walls of the house and turrets etc add to the authenticity of a spooky, haunted house and its gardens and should stay. Trim the bushes (😲) sure, but not get rid of them. It's taken 30 years to get those trees, bushes and plants to grow to where they are and it looks much better than opening day in that respect. Remember Universal ship in hundreds and hundreds of ready grown plants to theme their rides (Hagrids and Velocicoaster) so they can get an instant look, so why should Towers remove natural theming when there really is no need?

I disagree, the ivy and stuff growing on the walls of the house and turrets etc add to the authenticity of a spooky, haunted house and its gardens and should stay. Trim the bushes (😲) sure, but not get rid of them. It's taken 30 years to get those trees, bushes and plants to grow to where they are and it looks much better than opening day in that respect. Remember Universal ship in hundreds and hundreds of ready grown plants to theme their rides (Hagrids and Velocicoaster) so they can get an instant look, so why should Towers remove natural theming when there really is no need?
I don't mean completely, you're right that ot would take away from it, I was just referring a major trim around the facade. Actually, I'd just like the facade looked after as a whole. I'd like to see it redone back to its opening day look, but with a big of greenery around it. It looks sad at the moment, the wood structure has lost its dark look, the left side of the facade is just covered with dead ivy, and the windows need a cleanup, along with new or clean curtains. It looks old, yes, but not in a good way. I just want it to look like the photo below, all fresh, but with additional greenery around it.

Attachments

• 8aa56bb488ac11b48ea686c91e0aa378.jpg
    8aa56bb488ac11b48ea686c91e0aa378.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 44
Well I had to do a lot of reading of posts just to see if anyone had brought it up. Anyway won’t a lot of the stuff have to be removed anyway as when they remove the LED targets many of the items will be left with lots of holes in and been 30 years old they maybe beyond repair.

Well I had to do a lot of reading of posts just to see if anyone had brought it up. Anyway won’t a lot of the stuff have to be removed anyway as when they remove the LED targets many of the items will be left with lots of holes in and been 30 years old they maybe beyond repair.
I doubt they're drilled into, I guess more likely they're just stuck on. Sure they'll leave a small mark when taken off, but I'm sure a bit of filler can fix it in no time. We'll, it'd be cheaper than a bunch of new props surely.

I doubt they're drilled into, I guess more likely they're just stuck on. Sure they'll leave a small mark when taken off, but I'm sure a bit of filler can fix it in no time. We'll, it'd be cheaper than a bunch of new props surely.

They are drilled into. You can make out the screws holding the targets into place on all three photos below, besides they are not wireless, they are all wired, so additional holes would be required into every prop and piece of scenery to route the wires through along side the screw holes. That is for every target I would imagine as every single target needs a wire going to it. For power to power the LED at a minimum.

20220830_175848.jpg20220830_175833.jpg20220830_175819.jpg

As a bonus photo, here is a picture of the rail that is still in place to this day, for the long lost and never really used flying ghost effect that was abandoned not long after the ride opened in 1992.

20220830_175900.jpg

Photos courtesy of Alton Towers Haunted House on Facebook.

Last edited:
They are drilled into. You can make out the screws holding the targets into place on all three photos below, besides they are not wireless, they are all wired, so additional holes would be required into every prop and piece of scenery to route the wires through along side the screw holes. That is for every target I would imagine as every single target needs a wire going to it. For power to power the LED at a minimum.

20220830_175848.jpg20220830_175833.jpg20220830_175819.jpg

As a bonus photo, here is a picture of the rail that is still in place to this day, for the long lost and never really used flying ghost effect that was abandoned not long after the ride opened in 1992.

20220830_175900.jpg

Photos courtesy of Alton Towers Haunted House on Facebook.
Ah, such a shame they're drilled in.

Anyone got any idea how they can get the targets and wiring out of them and fill in the spaces they were once in. Would filler still be feasible to repair the props after all of the Targets are taken out?

Also, I think that's the first photo I've ever seen of the Rail used for the Ghost Corridor! Such a rare insight! Thanks for showing the photo here @DistortAMG

Last edited:
Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.