• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Duel: The Haunted House Actually Strikes Back - Refurb Incoming

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Is it me, or is the mood lighting in the station seemingly not working, either? Those two shots of the station look to me as though there’s some sort of lighting missing or not working compared to usual, but I could just be imagining things there…

It is rather surreal seeing such a huge gap in the station; I’ve only ever seen it looking like an omnimover in there in the past!

At a guess, what do we reckon the rough throughput of the ride is at the moment? Based on that shot, I’d guess that no more than 50% of its full capacity is on at the moment…

Duel is in a depressingly sorry state today. Hardly any cars, and all the LEDs in the first quarter of the ride are off entirely.

Even the staff look miserable.

20220904_122148.jpg

20220904_122719.jpg
I wouldn't be surprised if they're getting a head start on removing the blasters from some of the cars. Apparently over half of them could have been removed all ready.

I take back all my comments. This is clearly happening and I can't wait.

Exciting times at the resort with the consultation and potentially sw9 as well. Just need to fix hex as well
I'd agree - the Nemesis re-track, Duel re-theme, public consultation for a new indoor ride and also SW9 in the future if that's not what the consultation is for? Seems like an exciting few years ahead.

I must admit, I am surprised that Alton Towers hasn’t yet given any additional announcement surrounding Duel’s closure. With it happening mid-season, I’d have thought they might want to let people know about it going and potentially capitalise upon the opportunity to let fans have their last rides and say goodbye to it; I’d imagine a proper closing event and auction of props and the like could have been a real money spinner!

I suppose if the ride is closing in just a few days time what's actually the point in fixing these things? I know it's not great for customer satisfaction but at the same time Merlin probably have allocated as minimal budget as would allow for the project to be completed to a good standard. We've got to remember that we are in a cost of living crisis that's effecting both individuals and business'. As much as Merlin is a massive company it certainly doesn't have unlimited resources at the time. Any investment at this time is both more expensive than usually and more risky so they really are taking a risk with this. Seeing Merlin take risks like this is quite refreshing but we just have to hope it works otherwise this strategy will fail.

I've taken the day off work on Tuesday to say bye, so I hope it's still running with blasters!

Is anyone doing the same?

Was also hoping for a wee bargain at Spooks R Us.

I remember the day that Something Sinister closed - 3rd November 2002 - and the guy in the shop said "help yourself to the sweets", so we duly packed two full bags of pick n mix. What a guy!

Exciting times, particularly if JW is involved, but I hope the sense of fun and adventure isn't lost. (Afterall, whilst Duel didn't have many fans in these parts, and I don't have customer feedback data, it generally felt quite popular, especially in its first 10 years).

Is the ride running for the last time Monday or Tuesday?

The sign could mean the ride runs for the last time on 6th. Or equally that the ‘Duel is over’ from 6th - because it closed the day before.

There's still stock in Spooks R Us, although much like the ride at current, is somewhat sparse.

Prices are still full with no discounts.

The sign could mean the ride runs for the last time on 6th. Or equally that the ‘Duel is over’ from 6th - because it closed the day before.
Tuesday I assume.

I guess we’ll see!

I know we’re 99.9% sure that Duel will be gone by the 6th, but; what will we do if the 7th comes and the ride is still open? That would be a whole lot of build up for nothing…

Interestingly, queues for it actually aren’t too bad today; only 5-10 minutes, like it always used to be.

Gosh, with that few cars, imagine how atmospheric the ride is without hearing the oncoming jumpscares or blastes triggered by the car in front, especially the garden.

I imagine they're already taking the blasters off the cars and fixing them early this season to get started on the sets.

I still believe the change won't be significantly drastic if there's no final day event. There'd definitely by Zombies and guns being auctioned off though.

I guess we’ll see!

I know we’re 99.9% sure that Duel will be gone by the 6th, but; what will we do if the 7th comes and the ride is still open? That would be a whole lot of build up for nothing…

Interestingly, queues for it actually aren’t too bad today; only 5-10 minutes, like it always used to be.

I know its closing mid season, one would assume that the date is correct.

I still believe the change won't be significantly drastic if there's no final day event. There'd definitely by Zombies and guns being auctioned off though.
There may not be an overly drastic change, but I’d wager that most of (if not all of) the HH props will likely be replaced due to their age. I’m surprised that Alton Towers didn’t want to make a quick buck off of selling these, as I’m sure that there are plenty of die-hard fans who would want to buy them!

Or maybe they will do an auction after the ride closes?

My hope remains that the basic concept is kept similar, and there are some subtle nods to the original ride, but that the ride reopens in a pretty different form and isn’t just a regurgitation of the original 1992 HH.

Just for fun Matt, I'll wager that they will reuse most of the original props.
They were substantial, kept away from sunlight degradation and physical contact with punters.
Plastic Padding, not cheap Polyfilla, a good scrub, and a fresh coat of gloss.
Bring back the jumping jellyfish ghosts on the mini air cannons I say!

Just for fun Matt, I'll wager that they will reuse most of the original props.
They were substantial, kept away from sunlight degradation and physical contact with punters.
Plastic Padding, not cheap Polyfilla, a good scrub, and a fresh coat of gloss.
Bring back the jumping jellyfish ghosts on the mini air cannons I say!
Fair enough; no one truly knows until March 2023!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.