• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Duel: The Haunted House Actually Strikes Back - Refurb Incoming

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Do you have any thoughts on what exactly they might be doing? Do you think it is more likely to be a retheme, or a “revival” of the original HH?

If you know, but can’t say, then that’s fine, but I wondered whether you had any thoughts yourself based on the information you have received.
I don't have details.

But the individuals involved are hardly going to be pushing for a clone of Heide-Park's dull Ghostbusters ride, that's for sure.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Mate if they are starting this next month they've got 7 months to do whatever they want to it, if they do long days a lot can get done in that time.
That is true. The rides construction originally started from 20th May 1991, and didn't finish a few weeks before opening in 1992.

6th September folks

FF69D17C-739F-40A0-B239-8AA6B05FFB19.jpeg
Well, this is a suprise.

That 'this is my house' subtitle does make me wonder if that might be hint for the retheme? Maybe a revenge story of one of the original ghosts from HH?

Oh god, remember that joke I said about the flume duck's revenge by taking that duck from the woods and plonking it in the rethemed HH...? :eek:

The more I think about it, the more I am quite excited to see what they do with this.

As much as I was one of those campaigning against a “revival” of the HH like others were pushing for on here, I do think the ride has a lot of potential for a really good refurb.

My concerns with the idea of them simply “reviving” the HH do remain; rightly or wrongly, I think that “reviving” the HH would likely not have a happy ending, as I feel that the average guest wouldn’t really “get” it, and enthusiasts would be critical of it not being exactly like the 1992 ride (I don’t think it would ever be the exact same ride as the 1992 original, hence why I always put “revival” in inverted commas). I would be perfectly willing to be proven wrong if this does happen, but that’s just my current thought.

However, if they were to lean on the original concept and ultimately create a whole new attraction based upon it, then I do think that could be quite cool! It’s a clever concept that could make a really good ride, it would require minimal work to the facade and queue, and it would feasibly be marketable as a new product instead of looking as though it’s simply bringing back something old.

They can't just bring back the old HH.

Keith Sparks passed away for one thing and 25% of the HH was destroyed.

Also, most people under the age of 30 simply won't recall the old HH to any great degree. I rode it many times but even my memory fades.

I think we're OK.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

I hope they incorporate actual legends and stories of Alton Towers itself, a bit like Hex, that I think would allow them to make a really special ride. I wonder if the ride system itself is getting any work? I think giving a refurbishment would make a lot of sense. Perhaps new ride vehicles too.

Only hope is that whatever is being done to it is budgeted appropriately with some semblance of competence towards dark ride design (in comparison to what is said about Tomb Blaster these days).

As long as they don't try the old nostalgia trick of "bringing back the original"; this never works and given the advances in tech now possible a full new generation version with homages would be far more appropriate.

My original thought was an IP retheme or a retheme to a wholly different theme, but my prediction has changed. I honestly reckon that we could be seeing a retheme that leans on the original concept, and pays homage to the HH in some ways, but doesn’t necessarily “revive” the original ride. I think this will be a wholly new, modernised take on the “haunted house” concept.

And to be honest, I think that sounds really cool; as far as rethemes of the existing ride system go, that sounds about as good as I could ask for!

I don't think it will be closed for Scarefest, I think it has something to do with the "new scare experience" then will close for the winter refurb being undercover it shouldn't get delayed by the weather so up and running for next season.

Also wasn't it Dr Nicholas Roodyn house rather than Emily?

I don't think it will be closed for Scarefest, I think it has something to do with the "new scare experience" then will close for the winter refurb being undercover it shouldn't get delayed by the weather so up and running for next season.

Also wasn't it Dr Nicholas Roodyn house rather than Emily?
It was originally Emily's Dad, Sir Henry Altons House. Would make sense that the 'This is my house' was written by him since the writing style is a lot different to Emilies more organised writing style.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.