• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Early Ride Time - 'for a limited time only' when booked online

Tom

TS Member
What do we make of the statement "for a limited time only, if you book Theme Park tickets directly from Altontowers.com you'll receive FREE Early Ride Time" on the official website?

Perhaps a hint that it will be removed from online sales eventually, or a typical marketing phrase designed to encourage purchasing like "tickets selling fast" or "book early to ensure your place" are used to push sales.

Tom said:
What do we make of the statement "for a limited time only, if you book Theme Park tickets directly from Altontowers.com you'll receive FREE Early Ride Time" on the official website?

Perhaps a hint that it will be removed from online sales eventually, or a typical marketing phrase designed to encourage purchasing like "tickets selling fast" or "book early to ensure your place" are used to push sales.

I think it's just a marketing term, there's no way they are going to start charging extra for ERT. It's just not conceivable.

The Psychoaster said:
Tom said:

I think it's just a marketing term, there's no way they are going to start charging extra for ERT. It's just not conceivable.

I was thinking more of a removal of it from online tickets, but how is it not conceivable from Merlin? ;D

Tom said:
The Psychoaster said:
Tom said:

I was thinking more of a removal of it from online tickets, but how is it not conceivable from Merlin? ;D

If it were removed from online tickets then surely the only other way to get it would be from an AP? There'd be about 25 people on park until 10am :-\

I hope they don't remove it from online sales. When I visit with my cousin, I get it as I am an AP holder, so he buys online to get ERT with me.

The Psychoaster said:
Tom said:
The Psychoaster said:
Tom said:

If it were removed from online tickets then surely the only other way to get it would be from an AP? There'd be about 25 people on park until 10am :-\

There are 200,000 Merlin pass holders in Britain, plus Alton Towers annual pass holders.

Given that we know they are trying to push the 'resort' side of things and get people to stay over, I think it could well be made into hotel guests and annual pass holders (if that isn't changed) only.

I'm not predicting it, but it wouldn't surprise me if it came. They seem to be planning something, and a removal of ERT for online sales on certain days and/or an additional charge would also not surprise me.

I don't think anything would surprise me anymore, to be fair...

Tom said:
The Psychoaster said:
Tom said:
The Psychoaster said:
Tom said:

There are 200,000 Merlin pass holders in Britain, plus Alton Towers annual pass holders.

Given that we know they are trying to push the 'resort' side of things and get people to stay over, I think it could well be made into hotel guests and annual pass holders (if that isn't changed) only.

I'm not predicting it, but it wouldn't surprise me if it came. They seem to be planning something, and a removal of ERT for online sales on certain days and/or an additional charge would also not surprise me.

I don't think anything would surprise me anymore, to be fair...

I certainly don't think that ERT will be made unavailable for everyone but AP Holders and Hotel guests, even Merlin would understand that that would be unfair on the casual visitor who goes maybe twice a year but wants to make the most of their visit by getting in for the start of ERT. Especially with the occasional early closure days I can't see ERT being removed as well - it would just be out of bounds.

As for charging extra for it, I think that is more of a possibility but equally I find it hard to believe that it could happen given the recent attempts at cutbacks have been aimed more at the park operation.

As I always say, imagine suggesting to someone 15 years ago that you would one day have to pay to park on top of the entrance fee - they would have laughed and dismissed it.

Tom said:
As I always say, imagine suggesting to someone 15 years ago that you would one day have to pay to park on top of the entrance fee - they would have laughed and dismissed it.

I suppose, but there is always a limit for everything. With rising park prices, car park charges, limited ride time on major coasters and a host of other cuts - shutting off ERT would just be taking things over the edge of that limit.

The Psychoaster said:
Tom said:

I suppose, but there is always a limit for everything. With rising park prices, car park charges, limited ride time on major coasters and a host of other cuts - shutting off ERT would just be taking things over the edge of that limit.

They've shown more than once that they like to test the water and push the limits of customer satisfaction. It could be implemented and reversed if there's a backlash. It's all about costs and calculations these days. An accountant somewhere could see it worth a shot.

The only reference I can see about a 'Limited time only' seems to be in regards to saving up to 40% when booking on line. As far as ERT goes, the only exclusions I seem mentioned are the usual Feb 1/2 term, Scarefest & Fireworks. Unless I'm missing the blindingly obvious, which is a big posibility. :)

ERT was up until not that long ago (up until 2010??) a perk for Hotel guests & Pass holders only. Being an early bird have noticed the park becoming increasingly busier by 9am now as opposed to a couple of years ago, so it would seem to be a perk that is well received.

Vik said:
The only reference I can see about a 'Limited time only' seems to be in regards to saving up to 40% when booking on line. As far as ERT goes, the only exclusions I seem mentioned are the usual Feb 1/2 term, Scarefest & Fireworks. Unless I'm missing the blindingly obvious, which is a big posibility. :)

ERT was up until not that long ago (up until 2010??) a perk for Hotel guests & Pass holders only. Being an early bird have noticed the park becoming increasingly busier by 9am now as opposed to a couple of years ago, so it would seem to be a perk that is well received.

It's at the top of the opening times page: http://www.altontowers.com/events/opening-times/

Interesting...

Under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations is the following text

The following practices are banned outright:

6. Limited time only

Falsely stating that a product will only be available for a very limited time, or that it will only be available on particular terms for a very limited time, in order to elicit an immediate decision and deprive consumers of sufficient opportunity or time to make an informed choice.

So if Alton are following OFT guidelines, then ERT will be removed shortly from people purchasing pre-paid tickets. If not then they are in breach.

Well-informed there Pete, thanks :)

The statement has been on the opening times page for at least several weeks as I noticed it a while ago. So yes, a change has to come now for sure.

I think Vik's correct here. The 40% off is in reference to the ticket price, and the limited time only is for the getting the 40% off the normal price.

It says limited time only, because you only get the discount if you book more than a week before going to AT. I'm pretty sure ERT is for all people who book online, regardless of when they do it (correct me if I'm wrong).

Though the opening times page Tom's linked too though does say

Special offer... Free Early Ride Time when you book online!

For a limited time only, if you book Theme Park tickets directly from Altontowers.com you'll receive FREE Early Ride Time

That seem to be the only reference to the fact that ERT with online bookings is a 'special offer'. Given that ERT has been available to people who book online since around 2010, it does seem quite a long special offer. :) AT no point has there been an extra charge for ERT when booking online. I do recall some suggestions at one point when you were held in Towers Street, that there were attempts to up-sell ERT for £5.

Hmm this is an interesting one. It certainly implies that ERT will not be included with online tickets after a certain amount of time, but it also implies that they will soon be charging for ERT if you do want it. If ERT is removed for those who buy tickets online then I am all for it; I was very against the deision to give the privledge to online ticket holders when they did so a few years ago as I saw it as one of the better perks of the Annual Pass. I would however be strongly aginst charging guests for ERT as that would be plain wrong.

:)

Remember that it is only the last few years online bookings have been included! I'm not sure when but it has been in the last few years it has been added. Even if it was withdrawn for online bookings, AP holders can get 'Family & Friend passes that can obtain ERT.

I'd quite like for ERT to be removed. It used to be a perk for AP holders & Hotel guests. Not any more. Every man and his dog has access to it.