• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Early Ride Time - 'for a limited time only' when booked online

I really hope it isn't cancelled for those booking online - whilst I understand annual pass holders want it as an exclusive, as previously mentioned, I doubt the impact it has on queue times is substantial.

It's also perfect for people like myself who often travel to Alton for the day once or twice a year who want to get the most out of park opening hours - my visits aren't frequent enough to warrant purchasing an annual pass nor can I afford the hotels, so buying online and getting the extra hour on park is great. Just to echo previous responses, getting rid of this for online bookers seems to be less efficient and would risk getting rid of it altogether - it'd be interesting to see the percentages of people taking advantage of early ride time (booking online, staying in hotels or AP holders).

:D

Nick said:
The reason they give it to people online is that, because they've already paid, they can't not go to the park if it's snowing or raining or closed- and Merlin already have the money. This means that they will be in the park, despite the weather, but will also spend more money of waterproofs, ponchos and hot food. Therefore, booking online gives Merlin more money.

People don't book online either: because they are not aware of it, they don't have Internet access/credit card etc. (unlikely), they have a MAP or they go on the spur of the moment, and didn't know they were going the day before.

However, the stupidity of this shows when they get to the park half an hour before planned, and see the people enjoying ERT, and being able to get into the park easily- as the already have the tickets- and they are jealous of that. Even if you don't want to book online, it is much cheaper- and even if you book a few days before- you get a discount that's worthwhile, and will have a better chance at predicting the weather.

My family uses the Internet to book, as we'll go whatever the weather, and so we find it very useful. However, some people should use this facility, as they are missing out on a trick. To be fair, not only the customer benefits (if the weather is good) but Merlin benefits- which gives them a higher profit, and so better rides can be built/maintained/fixed.

Therefore, online booking=good 8)

The reason that ERT is included for customers who book online is to help create better value for money, and is an additional perk to encourage customers to book online. For a business like Alton Towers it's crucial to know estimated gate figures - hence why there has always been a massive push to book online.

In more recent years they have also brought all ticketing back inhouse and axed all their ticketing agents online. A handful still remain but the majority of them are gone. You'll also notice their is now an even greater saving if you book more than 7 days in advance.

Also, from a business point of view, online bookings also bring them a wealth of stastical data, as to where people are visiting from, average spend per transaction etc. Also if the customer has consented to (which most will do) they can also use their contact details for future marketing purposes.

So yeah, these are all things to which are important to Alton Towers, hence why they offer ERT to online bookings, as it's a valueable perk which encourages more people to book online.

To revive this, it is still described as a "special offer" which is "for a limited time only" - so I'm expecting it to bite the bullet by the end of the season at the latest.

I think that they are pushing the boundaries of what's acceptable in terms of it being a "special offer" or "for a limited time only" by having it on the page for so long.

In terms of what will happen after its removal, I still think it will be available as a bolt-extra for a fee, while remaining a perk for hotel guests and *possibly* annual pass holders as well.

I reckon it'll be premium MAP holders only, and cost extra for us plebs.

I don't think it'll go, at least not if they can help it, but using that language is a get out clause if they need to make further financial saving.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

AstroDan said:
I don't think it'll go, at least not if they can help it, but using that language is a get out clause if they need to make further financial saving.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I strongly disagree with that interpretation, but I guess at the very least they are defying the trading standards regs posted earlier in this thread and it'll soon be removed as per last year's 'special offer on the day' price!

Maybe a little bit off topic but I notice that Rita has now been replaced by TH13TEEN quite indefinitely. What are your thoughts?