• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Early Ride Time - 'for a limited time only' when booked online

T said:
I'd quite like for ERT to be removed. It used to be a perk for AP holders & Hotel guests. Not any more. Every man and his dog has access to it.

I must say that when ERT was added for online bookings I thought it would be awful, but it wasn't and ERT was largely unaffected by this in terms of waiting times during the hour. However, this year is another story and I do not agree with the new system at all.

ERT used to be a great perk when it was just for hotel guests and annual pass holders only.

Now it's given out here and there. Another perk I feel that has ruined any kind of exclusiveness for both hotel and annual pass holders.

ERT works well, as it gives that extra benefit for those who've paid online, and allows those early birds into riding more.

Having ERT available for current people is far better than the park just opening at 10.. If anything, i'd expect ERT to turn into anyone being allowed to use the current rides (using money and resources far more efficiently and giving that extra bit of customer service), rather than it going completely.

DiogoJ42 said:
How do you mean? That they use ERT guests as test dummies? :p

No, that it puts less pressure on maintenance and crew etc. as they can manage their time better. E.g say a team are getting Nemesis, Air, Blade, Ripsaw and Sub-Terra ready for the day. There is not enough of them to work on the attractions separately just before 10, so work is staggered. If Nemesis can be ready for 9 every day and is sorted first, why leave it until 10 to open it? The same goes for Rita and TH13TEEN, as Rita is ready prior to TH13TEEN, so it is on ERT.

I hope that makes sense, I remember reading it on TTF a while back.

This bit of text was added to the opening page sometime late last year, when they released the new style opening hours page. I did post about it at the time but as far as I remember no one really commented on it. We are 6 months into 2012 and the text is still there so I dont think ERT will be going just yet. I imagine its just to make you buy tickets online.

I do expect ERT will vanish one day for all guests.

djtruefitt said:
This bit of text was added to the opening page sometime late last year, when they released the new style opening hours page. I did post about it at the time but as far as I remember no one really commented on it. We are 6 months into 2012 and the text is still there so I dont think ERT will be going just yet. I imagine its just to make you buy tickets online.

I do expect ERT will vanish one day for all guests.

It was also on the ERT page on the Alton Towers website until very recently (I think until the new ERT logo appeared the other week!) however it seems to have gone. I actually was looking for this quote the other day when reading about certain rides opening at 11am etc.

I do however think ERT will vanish soon. :'(

If it vanishes I will not renew my Annual Pass. It is possibly the best benefit and I imagine there would be a huge uproar should they do this. It is also one of few benefits these days for hotel guests, despite the fact since online bookings are allowed it is no longer as exclusive.

James said:
ERT used to be a great perk when it was just for hotel guests and annual pass holders only.

Now it's given out here and there. Another perk I feel that has ruined any kind of exclusiveness for both hotel and annual pass holders.
I completely agree. It's not 'special' any more, & it's most certainly not a perk! I expect them to remove it completely to cut costs!

T said:
I'd quite like for ERT to be removed. It used to be a perk for AP holders & Hotel guests. Not any more. Every man and his dog has access to it.

Here here!! :/)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

But the park is quiet. Better having ERT than just cutting it. In fact, don't give them ideas!!

Remove ERT? What's the point in that? You want Merlin to remove even more value from their MAP's? ERT needs changing, not binning! ::)

It always used to be for AP holders and Hotel guest. Perhaps as the shift towards a resort continues, it may go back to the previous arrangement, particularly if the third hotel goes ahead.

Exclusive ride time can only be exclusive with a limited number of people.

I also wonder what percentage of transactions for gate tickets are done online, surely that's going up year on year? It's in the park's interest to have as many online as possible, less pay booth staff and more 'commitment' from guests on wet days.

It's not exclusive though, its early.

And honestly, why on earth are you all bothered that people arriving early, and have booked online, are using ERT? It's not causing any queues, you're all getting on rides early. It's using the time efficiently, it makes the money spent on it worthwhile, so you want to get rid of it?

Don't want rides opening later than park opening, but don't want people using rides before 10? Enthusiasts -_-.

I meant exclusive in terms of its exclusive to a small percentage of the customer base.

If everyone booked online, it would be 'exclusive' to no one, inclusive in fact.

I would say that it should be kept for online bookers.... I don't actually think that ERT is any busier than it has been before. The issue is with the way it is managed this year. As everyone can get in and wait by attraction entrances it makes ERT time seem busier. However I don't think that the queues themselves are any longer or worse than any other year?

I don't understand how you could possibly be against ERT. Even if it's busier than it used to be, you're still getting a whole extra hour of ride time. With opening hours shorter than ever this year, surely ERT is all the more important?

The reason they give it to people online is that, because they've already paid, they can't not go to the park if it's snowing or raining or closed- and Merlin already have the money. This means that they will be in the park, despite the weather, but will also spend more money of waterproofs, ponchos and hot food. Therefore, booking online gives Merlin more money.

People don't book online either: because they are not aware of it, they don't have Internet access/credit card etc. (unlikely), they have a MAP or they go on the spur of the moment, and didn't know they were going the day before.

However, the stupidity of this shows when they get to the park half an hour before planned, and see the people enjoying ERT, and being able to get into the park easily- as the already have the tickets- and they are jealous of that. Even if you don't want to book online, it is much cheaper- and even if you book a few days before- you get a discount that's worthwhile, and will have a better chance at predicting the weather.

My family uses the Internet to book, as we'll go whatever the weather, and so we find it very useful. However, some people should use this facility, as they are missing out on a trick. To be fair, not only the customer benefits (if the weather is good) but Merlin benefits- which gives them a higher profit, and so better rides can be built/maintained/fixed.

Therefore, online booking=good 8)