• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Efteling: General Discussion

The MASSIVE space in the middle of the park is used for the Winter Event, where an equally MASSIVE marquee pops up with ice skating and various bits and bobs inside... It does feel like it should be used for something though, but never know with Efteling, I remember not being able to work out where Baron would suit, yet they worked some magic...

It is (or was) also used throughout the summer for the park's popular concert series. It does feel a little odd and underdeveloped though, slap bang in the middle of the park as it is. I actually find that whole corner of the park is relatively dated in feel. They're probably well aware, of course.

Double post, but everyone likes speculation do they not?

I have been thinking about the new 2019/20 coaster and where exactly it could go. The Looopings article states that it "will be located on the edge of the park, on a new piece of eight acres between Vogel Rok and the Python." So where is the piece of land? In my opinion there are 3 potential options but each have their constraints:

22154552_10159456739980343_1801580928344088206_n.jpg

In terms of size of land both options 1 and 2 seem the most likely. However both of these are across a public road and outside of the current park boundary; it is not clear whether or not they have obtained additional land.

Here is a look at the road; the park is on the left and the land for option 1 would be on the right:

22196124_10159456643565343_4297737959651394317_n.jpg

And here is a look at the land for option 2:

22154308_10159456643580343_2706960966858301986_n.jpg

Option 3 is a decent sized piece of land inside of the park and a piece of land that I noticed for being rather empty when there last week. It looks perfect for development (I've no idea if they use it for events at the moment or not) however it does not come close to the 8 acres mentioned for this new coaster. I'm also not sure it fits the description of being on the edge of the park or between Python and Vogel Rok either.

Unless Looopings have got it completely wrong I cannot think where else this coaster might go. The land to the side of the path between Python and Vogel Rok (but still inside the current park boundary) is simply not large enough for a substantial coaster.

So will they expand across the road? I'd imagine if they were to do this they would construct a tunnel for access and it could form a new area of the park. Seems to be an expensive option though.

Interesting times ahead!

:)

I believe the park have planning permission for something 50m tall on the site you've marked Option 1.

Reactions: Rob
Interesting, I thought that was the most likely location for the coaster. I'm looking forward to seeing how they go about pulling this off, they are going to have to cross the road one way or another.

They could either tunnel under or build a bridger over the road and create an whole new area on the other side. Or they could have the station and associated building on the edge of the existing park and have the coaster itself travel over/under the road. The main sections of the coaster could then be on this new land. The latter option would mean less work in terms of creating a whole new area outside of the current park but it does not seem very Efteling to have much of the coaster hidden away across a road and out of view.

Whatever they do opt for though I have no doubts that they will pull it off!

It's my understanding that the empty playing fields in Rob's option 3 were there when the park opened and they have said before that they will never build over them as a nod to the history of the park. Could have mis-remembered though.

Whatever this coaster is it needs to be long. All their current coasters are just so short - probably the park's biggest weakness. A Helix-esque Mack launch would suit them perfectly.

According to Screamscape, Efteling may have decided the fate of Bob, with 2018 being the last chance to ride. There is also a rumour that the 2019/2020 coaster will be a launch coaster. Here's the link: http://screamscape.com/html/efteling.htm

P.S. Would someone mind telling me how to link to pages within my post as opposed to having to post the link afterwards?

According to Screamscape, Efteling may have decided the fate of Bob, with 2018 being the last chance to ride. There is also a rumour that the 2019/2020 coaster will be a launch coaster. Here's the link: http://screamscape.com/html/efteling.htm

P.S. Would someone mind telling me how to link to pages within my post as opposed to having to post the link afterwards?

Pleased that I got to ride Bob before it potentially goes. It will be a shame if it is not directly replaced though, it's a nice setting for a ride. Maybe some form of flume ride through the woods could take its place in the future?

As for linking within your post - type your message then highlight the text that you want to be the link. Then click on the 'link' symbol on the message toolbar (it looks like a paperclip) and a box should appear on your screen, copy in the link text and click insert.

Pleased that I got to ride Bob before it potentially goes. It will be a shame if it is not directly replaced though, it's a nice setting for a ride. Maybe some form of flume ride through the woods could take its place in the future?

As for linking within your post - type your message then highlight the text that you want to be the link. Then click on the 'link' symbol on the message toolbar (it looks like a paperclip) and a box should appear on your screen, copy in the link text and click insert.

Thanks @Rob!

Efteling have announced this on their Facebook page;

Python newsflash! From 8 January to 30 March, Efteling’s oldest rollercoaster - Python will be closing for essential renovations and will officially re-open on 31 March 2018. Watch this space for further information

Efteling have announced this on their Facebook page;

Python newsflash! From 8 January to 30 March, Efteling’s oldest rollercoaster - Python will be closing for essential renovations and will officially re-open on 31 March 2018. Watch this space for further information
Will this be like the Hulk revamp of 2015-16 in that the track will be replaced? Or does anyone think it will be more minor, like new trains or a new paint job?

Now that Efteling's open daily all year I'd expect at least a couple of big rides to be closed for maintenance in the winter. Particularly considering how well maintained the park looks. If I went in January and the only big ride that's closed was Python, I'd be very impressed. Some of the big UK parks have more than that closed in the summer holidays.

They are due to re-track the entire coaster however I am not sure 2-3 months is really long enough to take down the existing track and erect new track. So they could either have changed plans or this could be something else.

Python has had four different types of train since it opened and the current trains are only six years old so I doubt they will be replaced. They utilise Vekoma's new vest restraints.

Yeah, those restraints are really good!

Not sure how they work ride closures as I went mid September and morgana was shut that week, the week before Joris was. Not really sure what they can achieve with a single weeks closure either when you consider theme parks in the UK have 3 or so months closed each year were they work on everything.

Meanwhile, Looopings are reporting that Symbolica is no longer interactive:

Looopings said:
The new Efteling attraction Symbolica is no longer interactive. Yesterday it turned out that all interactive elements in the darkride are turned off. Until now, visitors were able to activate different effects by pressing buttons during the ride.

The front row of the so called Fantasy Sailors is equipped with an interactive screen. This made it possible to rotate vehicles and play mini-games. But because many passengers did not understand the control panel, a large part of the experience was lost. Efteling fans have complained for months that the interactivity detracts from the total experience.

At this moment the panel is off. It is not clear whether the interactive elements will return on a later date. "At the moment we are critically looking at a few things of Symbolica and also the interactive dashboard", the theme park says.

Efteling director Fons Jurgens himself is a great supporter of interactive attractions. "We need to see how technology can help us to adapt an attraction and make it more interactive," he said in an interview recently.

I don't think this is overly surprising, when I was riding the guests in the front seats really didn't seem sure what to do with the interactive screen.

We had exactly the same, no one really knew what to do. Hopefully they will look at some wider improvements to the ride too. As stunning as some of the scenes are, it all just needs to gel together better than it does currently!

Interestingly, the Python retrack is not actually being done by Vekoma. Instead, a steel construction company called CSM is manufacturing the new track. It is being manufactured now and will be sent to the park ready for erection in January 2018. I find it quite strange that Vekoma is not building this. It will make for a very strange “two coasters in one” type thing, even though it does look as though they have replicated the track design.