• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Efteling: General Discussion

Wow, bridges and raised walkways with only a rope fence? Anyone would think this was in a country with a sensible attitude to health and safety.

Oh, wait...

I'm at the park this weekend, and those pics really don't show the size of the construction site... It's huge!

Also, there's a massive construction site near Vogel Rok (walking towards Villa Volta), what the hell is that for? Hartenhof? As that's a truly ridiculous sized site...

This park though is fab <3

Although people rave about Villa Volta I still believe our lovely Hex is better than both Villa and Feng Ju Palace at Phantasialand. Don't get me wrong I love the animatronic in the 2nd preshow but Hex builds up to the full rotation more slowly which is a better use of the madhouse system. I would like the ride sequence to be looked at for Villa Volta during it's refurb.

Villa Volta is utter gash! What's the point of a madhouse if you hang a giant mirror either side of the room that always stays upright? It's like taking a plumbob on Hex and shattering the illusion for everyone.

The basic storylines for both Hex and Villa are the same an evil man gets cursed by a lady and the curse is broken whilst you are in the chamber and they are both based on local tales, yet Hex wipes Villas bum with the telling of the story including the use of the vault at the end.

Villa Volta suffers from the same thing as every Madhouse does, a reliance on telling a dialogue heavy story in the native tongue... Hex negates this via the video in the only room with exposition...

However the presentation of Volta is fantastic, the mirrors don't affect anything for me personally, as Hex has a similar thing with the dial always remaining upright in the same sense...

I've done 14 Mad Houses.

Villa Volta, whilst not the worst, is by far the most overrated of all!

Really? Hex has a dial that stays upright? I'd never noticed! But that just shows that it's subtle enough to get away with it.

As for not understanding the plot because you don't speak the lingo, it's pretty safe to assume that every mad house is just "Curse! oooooo, spooky!" :p

I didn't even realize there were 14 madhouses... Wow.

What is the other one? A quick wiki gave me:

1 El Hotel Embrujado, Parque Warner Madrid
2 Hex – the Legend of the Towers, Alton Towers
3 The Haunting, Drayton Manor
4 Villa Volta, Efteling (the first Madhouse in the world)
5 Houdini's Great Escape, Six Flags Great Adventure
6 Houdini's Great Escape, Six Flags New England
7 Magic House, Gardaland
8 Maison Houdini, Rainbow MagicLand
9 Merlin's Magic Castle, Walibi Holland
10 Palais du Genie, Walibi Belgium
11 Feng Ju Palace, Phantasialand
12 Houdini's Magische Huis, Bellewaerde Park
13 Le Défi de César, Parc Asterix

smudge said:

7 Magic House, Gardaland

There's Fluch der Kassandra at Europa Park! I'm not sure if you'll be forgiven here for forgetting that one! ;)

Rob said:
smudge said:

7 Magic House, Gardaland

There's Fluch der Kassandra at Europa Park! I'm not sure if you'll be forgiven here for forgetting that one! ;)

:-[

On your list, it is only Bellewaerde Park I have not been on.

I guess I have been on 13 then.
Blackpool's doesn't exactly count!

:)

Then I look forward to seeing how lame it is on Junket ;)
(I prefer The Haunting to Hex. I'll see myself out...)

Time for an Efteling update!

The White Horse

The restaurant has been gutted, as can be seen from these photos posted by the park's Facebook.

1794700_10152317255873854_534752435_n.jpg

1004951_10152317255883854_1081706532_n.jpg

Efteling said:
The next few days we take you along in the conversion of the White Horse and we will post updates about the progress of the renovation.

The photos are from approximately the same angle as the concept-easy to follow visual taken so that the claims are.

1939917_10152312597458854_338524969_n.jpg

Efteling said:
The White Horse is undergoing a major refurbishment and is from March 2014 in the ' atmosphere of yesteryear '. The new theme let you in a tea house from the beginning of 1900, in which the six different areas each have a unique, nostalgic experience.

The next few weeks we take you along in this renovation and we will post updates about the progress of the renovation. In this picture you see the concept-visual for the renovation

Looks great, a really interesting idea for a restaurant, though I am concerned about it quickly looking dated in the way that English tea room theme tends to.

Piraña

Photos from here of the bridge at the back being built...

6I24bYN.jpg

aKGjdVP.jpg

...and a few days later, it's basically finished!

kbODMtY.jpg

J9Juabp.jpg

The Flying Dutchman

A bit of winter work going on around The Flying Dutchman.

qtPnFjl.jpg

There is also apparently a mysterious new fence between Joris and Python but what construction project it is for is currently unknown.

And lastly, some major work must have been done to the boats, as this amazing sight was recently spotted on a Dutch motorway!

tDRjb67.jpg