• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Energylonersosche - A Solo Jaunt to Poland Using Public Transport

Burbs

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Iron Gwazi
Trip report time woooo!

Thought this would be an interesting one to document. Recent visits to Poland that have been reported upon seem to all have involved the use of hire cars, or maybe taxis to get between Kraków and Energylandia. And when initially planning a trip to this roller coaster Mecca (lol), you can see exactly why that seems to be the favoured option. It can be a bit of a minefield!

This was my first solo holiday. I had one planned to France and Germany in January but some non-coaster friends decided they wanted in on a taste of a theme park holiday, so I saw Poland as a good opportunity to finally try out travelling alone: flights are accessible and accommodation appears to be dirt cheap. Originally I intended to just do a couple of days in Poland to tick off Energylandia, but thought while in the area I may as well try and experience the esteemed Dream Hunters Society Lech Coaster as well! I'll try and keep this trip report to having more of a focus on the travel aspects - the parks have been commented on quite a lot anyway - although I will talk about some of my experiences on the trip too. At least that's actually useful!

Day 1 - London to Kraków

I live in London which I've found to be extremely handy for flights to, well, just about anywhere! Be it from Luton, Stansted, Heathrow, Gatwick or London City, there are usually multiple options. On this occasion, I would actually be using 4 airports in total. Flying out from Luton to Kraków, then back from Katowice to Stansted. A nice round trip! From my flat it was a ride on the Tube to Kings Cross St. Pancras, then an East Midlands Rail service to Luton Airport Parkway. With a rail card, the train journey came in at a very reasonable £4.75 and took just under 25 minutes. At Parkway, I needed to take the Luton Airport DART (a Doppelmayr Cable Car for you GEEKS), which is ostensibly the most expensive railway journey in the UK per mile. It costs £4.90 each way (yes that is more than the EMR journey), but it just so happened that my train ticket included the DART. When booking your ticket, make sure that it is for Luton Airport, not Parkway, and I believe that then the ticket should include the DART. I was confused as the E-Ticket only said it was to Parkway, but fancying my chances it let me in and out of the DART ticket barriers without issue. A win.

From Luton, it was a Buzz Air flight *insert Family Guy gif here* to Kraków. Buzz Air operates a lot of Ryanair flights so you know what you're gonna get. I suppose it's a bit like Lauda who seem to operate a lot of their flights too, and are exactly as you'd expect. The flight out was on a Tuesday and as I was travelling light (one small rucksack), it only cost £23 for that leg! On arrival in Kraków, the airport seems a little confusing. Lots of signs for buses and only a couple for the train station. Having researched the journey, I knew that there was a train station at the airport with semi-regular services but it wasn't obvious at all. Eventually I found my way, before the signs disappeared again and I had to ask a staff member. It's actually right outside the terminal and I'm sure that if you looked on your favourite Maps app, you'd have had a bit more luck than I in finding it!

At this point it was around 6.45pm, and there was a train every hour at this time of day. I expected it to be really busy but it wasn't - something I noticed overall about public transport in Poland is that it is reliable, albeit irregular. The train goes directly to Kraków Głowny (central station) and eventually terminates at Wieliczka, where incidentally I would be visiting the following day. The journey cost just under £4 and there are ticket machines on the station platform, which take cash, card and contactless. From Głowny, which doubles as a sizeable mall with shops and restaurants, it was a short walk to my accommodation for the next 2 nights: ibis budget Kraków Stare Miasto.

The hotel, for what it was, was actually pretty decent! I know some ibis budgets abroad can really be the bottom of the pile when it comes to hotels, but this one was clean, fresh and felt safe. It shared a building with a standard "red" ibis and you have to take the walk of "povo" shame past it to get to this one! Of course ibis budgets aren't for everyone. Having 0 privacy is perhaps not the best for a group of friends (unless you're into that sort of thing...) but as a solo traveller, or even as a couple, it makes economic sense!

By this point it was getting late and as a weary traveller, I headed back towards the station for some easy food (yes it was McDonalds), before turning in for the night.

Hope this is helpful! Part 2 coming soon.

Day 2 - Kraków to Wieliczka to... Kraków

Breakfast came with an additional charge at the hotel, so I opted to just pick up something from the Carrefour in the train station, before my journey down to Wieliczka. Surprisingly, there appeared to be no self-service ticket machines at all at Kraków Głowny, meaning I had to either go to the manned ticket booths (I was set to travel at 9.30am so didn't want to chance it being really busy), or navigate the less-than-well-advertised iMKA app. The app seems to be only for the Kraków region and proved to actually be really good. Despite a bit of confusion of as to where the tickets end up once purchased, it was really useful, but I'm just confused as to why a station of that size and location doesn't have any self service ticket machines!

Wanting to take in some local culture while away, my main activity for the day was a visit to the Wieliczka Salt Mine! As I said before, train services aren't all that often, and with the attraction ticket booked for 11am, it meant that the latest train that gets me there on time actually pulls in at 10:02am. The journey cost less than £2 each way! Fortunately the town is very pretty and it was lovely to have a walk around, and scout out some locations for lunch later on. Even though my ticket was booked for 11am, there was an English-speaking tour happening at 10.30am which I managed to get on to. I didn't really know what to expect, but I thought that the "tour" would be self-guided, however it is entirely lead by an engaging tour guide who gives you lots of interesting information along the way. There are tonnes of rooms, or "chambers" that you go into and it involves over 2 miles of walking. It's a really impressive attraction that I encourage anyone who is in the area to go to, especially considering that it's only 25 minutes from the centre of Kraków on the train.

387828526_3392554121055823_9025918310910140126_n-2.jpg

After the tour I got some lunch from a quaint little Pierogi (dumplings) restaurant in the town square, which felt very much like a Polish grandma's front room, probably helped by the fact that the chefs seemed to be your typical Polish grandma too! I caught the train back to Kraków before heading back out to explore the city I was staying in. I walked for ages and even spent an hour in the Museum of Illusions (don't bother, there's nothing you've not seen before and it's not worth the ~£10 entry fee). It was the aimless wandering that was perhaps the most difficult part of solo travelling. At least at a theme park or a tourist attraction there's plenty to see and do, but having an afternoon with nothing particularly planned I'd have much preferred to share the experience with others.

I finished the day off with some delicious food and drink in the somewhat disappointing location of Kraków Old Town. The architecture is very nice, if you can look past the restaurant touts lunging at you from left right and centre, people trying to sell various children's light-up toys, and tacky horse and carriage rides around the square, that is. I found a somewhat hidden-away cellar bar towards the exit of the Old Town for a cocktail, then walked back to my hotel for the 2nd and final night before the journey to Energylandia the following day!

Visited the Salt Mines when I visited Energylandia in 2021. It's an amazing experience and well worth taking the time out of a trip to Krakow/Katowice/Energylandia to do so.
Also visited Auschwitz-Birkenau when I visited as again it's really close by and I'd say it's somewhere anyone visiting the region should take the time to visit and try and take in the scope of what happened.

The ticket machines at Kraków Głowny are indeed sparse. When we did find one we found it hard to navigate even the simple task of buying tickets to the airport. So had to go and queue to speak to a human.

Krakow Glowny is a strange one, I’d been expecting it to be one of those big old grand European train stations and then you walk in and it’s basically a big shopping centre, it really threw me. For somewhere that draws in a lot of tourists you’d think that it would be set up to make it easy to buy tickets and find your way platform but it isn’t. But anyway Krakow is a lovely town to walk around and the Cathedral on Wavel Hill is absolutely stunning inside.

Day 3 - Kraków to Energylandia!

With Kraków having a major train station (even if it is a ball ache to buy tickets) and there being a local station in Zator, I assumed that the easiest way to get to Energylandia for 2 days would be via rail. How wrong I was! After a bit of research, it would turn out that the trains to and from the park run very irregularly (they might get you there for park opening... maybe) and the station itself is quite a distance, and not walkable, from the park. They say on their website that a shuttle bus/land train service runs between Zator station and the park but not knowing how reliable this was going to be, I opted to travel a different way. Energylandia offers a coach service between Kraków or Katowice and the park entrance, priced at around £4.50 each way. Considering it's a 75 minute journey, this isn't too bad at all!

My plan was to stay for a night in Zator, travelling there from Kraków and back to Katowice after my second day on park. Frustratingly when booking the bus service, it states that you have to book a round trip, i.e. Kraków to Kraków or Katowice to Katowice. There's not a lot you can do about this if coming from Kraków and I had to book a redundant ticket (not too bad considering how cheap it is), but the service to and from Katowice is operated by a separate bus company called Buzz Bus. Through their website you can book individual one-way journeys, despite Energylandia's site making you book two! The journey itself was fairly pleasant and I arrived on park 15 minutes before opening which was perfect.

The park actually opened at about 9:50 before a "rope drop" a short distance past the main square at 10am. This allowed time for locker faff before an expected stampede to Zadra. The locker system is brilliantly implemented, costing just under £3 per day, there are lockers everywhere, even in the queue lines for some of the family coasters. The only thing I noticed was that if you had a large backpack or even a suitcase there didn't seem to be anywhere to store them as the lockers themselves are only really big enough for one average-sized rucksack. I used the bank of lockers at the main entrance and kept the same one all day due to having all my travel stuff with me, then just used my raincoat to carry a water bottle and my phone around with me.

IMG_5078.jpeg

It turns out the park was really quiet on both days, aside from a handful of school trips, and I got on loads! The Zadra stampede (it's situated right at the back of the park for the uninformed), seemed to peter out completely by the time I got to Formuła, to the point where I was the only one in the Zadra station for a good 10 minutes before anyone else turned up! The longest waits of the day were for RMF Dragon (curse you Vekoma and your coaster designs that only allow for 1 train) at 40 minutes, and Formuła which seemed to have about a half-hour queue all day. Everything was running 1 train all day, but this was no issue. Zadra had a 5 minute wait all day and the only major ride which seemed to suffer a bit was Hyperion. Waiting in that confusing batching room when it's only running 1 train was a bit unpleasant, but as a single rider I was frequently pushed forwards in queues which was nice!

Ride count and comments
  • Zadra x3 - Bloody excellent ride, my 4th RMC and one of the very best rides in Europe. The first drop on the back is mental.
  • Abyssus x2 - A surprising amount of air time is packed in here, and the layout is lots longer than it initially looks. Great ride in a very nicely themed area.
  • Formuła x2 - Great launch and a punchy yet smooth layout.
  • Boomerang x1 - This was quite difficult to find the entrance to, but it's a pretty standard Vekoma Family Boomerang.
  • Circus Coaster x1 - Shame cred!
  • Draken x1 - Shame cred!
  • Ekipa Light Explorers x1 - My preferred Vekoma Family Boomerang layout, it feels like you're on a bit more of a journey, I find.
  • Frida x1 - Standard Vekoma junior coaster.
  • Frutti Loop x1 - Shame cred!
  • Happy Loops x1 - Shame cred!
  • Hyperion x1 - With the amount of other stuff in the park, I didn't get round to doing this 'til mid afternoon. At least it had warmed up a bit! I enjoyed the speed of the thing but it was very rattly in the middle seats.
  • Mars x1 - Shame cred! Strangely well themed.
  • Edit: Mayan x1
  • RMF Dragon x1 - A pity the queue is prone to getting long very quickly but the layout is pretty good at least!
  • Śmiejżelki Energuś x1 - One of the better-themed Vekoma Junior Coasters I've been on.
  • Speed x1 - I hate getting excessively wet in theme parks but made myself do this one due to it being a +1. Made the wise choice to sit in row 4 and came off relatively unscathed. The coaster itself did very little for me, however. The lift is kinda cool though, I guess.
  • Viking x1 - Trundle trundle SMACK. Trundle trundle trundle SMACK.
  • Atlantis x1 - These SBF Rapids are very strange but had some pretty sizeable waves and splashes towards the end!
  • Dragon Adventure x1 - An uninspiring monorail around the Smoczy Gród area.
  • Jungle Adventure x1 - These Intamin Rapids are also very strange and didn't really seem to do... anything. A lot of lolloping.
  • Pyramid Cinema 7D x1 - Not brilliant. Also not sure what the 6th and 7th "Ds" are. I enjoyed the blatant Unique Viper NT smoke machines just sat at the front of the room however.
  • Planetarium x1 - Good for getting away from the rain but it is a film entirely in Polish (HOW DARE THEY). I very nearly fell asleep in the very comfortable reclined chairs!
IMG_5063.jpeg

Yes I managed to tick off all 17 coasters within about 5.5 hours on my first day at the park, which I wasn't expecting at all! I had lunch at the counter-service Royal Restaurant which had some great dishes available which suit all tastes. After the park closed, I started to walk back to my apartment for the night in Zator, called Carp&Bed. Not long after I started the half-hour walk, the heavens well and truly opened and I got completely soaked, in spite of having an umbrella! I couldn't wait to just grab some food from the supermarket (perks of having an apartment is the kitchenette with oven et. al), jump in the shower and chill out for the evening. However, upon arrival the 4-digit code I was given to access the building didn't work. Cue me on the phone to the apartment owner, who gives me a code which does work, tells me which room it is, then me opening the door to an already occupied apartment with a very bemused Brit in there! Cue yet another phone call, another direction to the actual apartment which also turned out to be wrong, then on the third attempt being given the right code to the right room. Phew.

The apartment itself was really nice though...!

Last edited:
Day 4 - Energylandia to Katowice

After a good night’s sleep thanks to so much walking and activity the day before, it was time for another day at Energylandia! Having got all the cred stress out the way, I aimed for a more relaxed day, focusing on reriding the handful of coasters that are worth it and mopping up a few of the other rides I missed. There really is loads to do for a first time visitor!

The walk between Zator and the park entrance was far more pleasant when not in the driving rain, and there’s even a McDonalds you walk past if you fancy breakfast or dinner. Given how quiet the park was on the first day, I elected to arrive just after opening to avoid having to wait for more guests to join the Zadra queue. It was ever so slightly busier on park on the second day, but they reacted well by adding a second train to most of the coasters. The atmosphere was also better with there being less school trips, and the weather was set to be great!

IMG_5121.jpeg

Ride count and comments
  • Zadra x4
  • Abyssus x2
  • Hyperion x2 - One of my rides was on an outside seat and the difference is massive! Nowhere near as rattly.
  • Formuła x2
  • Mayan x1 - Looks like I missed this off of yesterday’s report (I did it the once), and I genuinely really liked it! The newer track plus vest restraint combo makes for an enjoyable yet intense ride without all the unpleasantries that usually come with riding an SLC. The layout is decent when it rides well!
  • Ekipa Light Explorers x1
  • Apocalypto x1 - This felt very hidden away and I really had to track it down. A terrible, janky rip off of a HUSS Top Spin.
  • Grotto Expedition x1 - Located in the very nicely presented Aqualantis area, I was hoping for something a bit more. I wasn’t expecting Na’vi River Journey but a small tunnel/dark ride section wouldn’t have gone amiss.
  • Magic Fly x1 - Another monorail, this one around the kiddie area.
  • Samoloty x1 - Another nother monorail, this one also around the kiddie area.
  • Space Gun x1 - These sorts of rides never sit well with me so quite why I went on I shall never know.
  • Swiss Water Cups x1 - A Technoform (apparently) “onion” boat ride. Had quite a long layout!
  • Tidal Wave Twister x1 - This Zamperla Disk’O Coaster (not a coaster!) never seemed to stop! It went on and on and on and on! Good location though.
  • Wonder Wheel x1 - Some nice views across both the “old” and “new” parts of Energylandia (I mean it’s not even been open for a decade for crying out loud!)
  • Tsunami Drop x1 - The BLOCKBUSTER tower ride! Don’t bother.
During the day I had lunch at the Scandinavian Restaurant (another counter-service affair) which felt like a budget Fjord Restaurant! Still, the food was great (I had pork schnitzel, fries and green beans) and sat outside with a view of Hyperion. As aforementioned, I would be taking the Buzz Bus service back to Katowice after park close. The pick-up location is very handily right outside the main entrance and is clearly sign posted as a bus stop to each destination. The bus was on time (pick up was at 18.15 for Katowice or 18.30 for Kraków) and arrived in Katowice pretty promptly too.

IMG_5134.jpeg

Upon arrival, I walked from the bus station to my apartment in the very centre of the city, which only took about 15 minutes. There were no issues getting into this apartment besides my own stupidity, and it was nice to be based somewhere central for a couple of nights. The apartment itself was beautiful and a great pad for a single or couple. There was a living area with kitchenette downstairs and a double bed on a mezzanine level above… how European!

The city was buzzing of this Friday night and it’d be somewhere I’d like to return to at some point. I headed out to grab some food from a supermarket (the big ones had all shut by 8pm but the smaller ones were all still open for a while longer), before turning in for the night. Tomorrow, Legendia!

Day 5 - Katowice to Legendia to… Katowice!

Visiting Legendia wasn’t on my original plan for this trip, but I figured that I may as well seeing as I’m out there anyway! I knew that Katowice has a tram system with services running to Legendia, so I had every intention of hopping on one to save a 2.5 mile walk. However, when I arrived at the stop I found that there was no way I could actually buy a ticket! There was one self service ticket machine that was extremely slow and didn’t register my button presses to get to the apparent English language version, and the app that was recommended online wouldn’t let you sign in without a Polish or German phone number.

As time was pressing on and nothing was making sense, I checked Google which said it would be a 45 minute walk, and since it was a lovely sunny morning, I decided to cut my losses and hoof it instead. I do walk pretty quickly and made it there in just over half an hour, getting to the park entrance only about 15 minutes after opening. Initial impressions were… shoddy. The whole park seemed to have staggered openings which made it feel completely devoid of life. It was a Saturday with no other open days that week besides the Sunday, so the “crowds” were larger than those usually reported, but still there can’t have been more than 7-800 people in the park. Really no issue.

Having discovered that Twin Looper Devil’s Loop was closed for extended maintenance and Scary Toys Factory was SBNO, the only coaster that could open (or so I thought) was Lech. With a small group of other geeks, I waited for it to open at 11.30am, which it promptly did, and had a couple of rides on it before carrying on around the park. This is where I realised that Dream Hunters Society exists and was in fact open, so gave this a go. In the queue for DHS I got chatting to a couple of Dutch geeks, who were very friendly and invited me to join them for the rest of the day - this was really lovely of them and I ended up staying on park until closing time at 8pm! It was great to have some company to geek out with on my last full day.

IMG_5252.jpeg

Ride count and comments
  • Lech Coaster x18 - This is a top class ride and evidently very re-rideable! In fact I believe this is the most I have ever ridden a single ride in one day. The first drop at the back is insane, followed by an intense positive-G grey-out moment straight into an ejector air time hill. 6 of the rides on Lech were spaced throughout the day, and the last 12(!) were back to back right at the end of the day, in pitch black darkness, without ever leaving the station.
  • Dream Hunters Society x2 - Possibly the jankiest coaster I’ve been on, complete with staff members having to push the car along the station due to there being no kicker wheel and the brake run just being a chain. Excellent stuff.
  • Dragon Temple x2 - A HUSS Rainbow which was reminiscent of riding Surf Rider (RIP) at Botton’s (RIP). Did it twice to please the Dutch. #NeverMissARide
  • Bazyliszek x1 - This dark ride, if you can find the entrance, is actually really decent in comparison to the rest of the park! The screens work pretty well and you can tell that with that and Lech they are trying to step up the offerings. Just a shame about how run down the rest of the park feels.
  • Dream Flight Airlines x1 - Never thought I’d ride another “flying machines” outside of Blackpool but there we go!
  • Legendia Flower x1 - A ferris wheel which you can spin like a teacup and feels extremely exposed. Kinda terrifying!
  • Phoenix x1 - Standard HUSS Enterprise.
  • Giant Water Pump x1 - I mean what on earth is this? You sit very closely to your neighbours, swing and spin a bit, then are encouraged to jump off while it’s still swinging at some pace! Weird.
IMG_5228.jpeg

We had dinner at the counter-service restaurant near Lech at about 18.30, when they were running “happy hour”, which seemed to mean everything was 50% off. Main, dessert and a drink for £7? Yes please! After I had done my 12 laps on Lech, the rain started to pour, but this was no match for the hardened DUTCH geeks who stayed on for another 2 before being told they really had to leave by the station staff! I was not looking forward to the walk back which seemed to be the only option having had tram stress and not wanting to fork out for a taxi, but my new friends very kindly offered to drop me off en route, which I was extremely grateful for!

I’d expected to be done with Legendia by mid afternoon but I’m super glad that I stayed. It was perhaps the best day of the holiday! One day left to go, being a travel day back to the UK.

Last edited:
We had the same issue in Katowice with the tram ticket machine. In the end we just got on and hoped for the best. Did the same on the way back as well as I don’t think there as even a ticket machine at the stop outside Legendia.

We had the same issue in Katowice with the tram ticket machine. In the end we just got on and hoped for the best. Did the same on the way back as well as I don’t think there as even a ticket machine at the stop outside Legendia.
I was considering doing the same but I'd heard there's a fine if you get caught and that you can't buy a ticket on board? I also noticed in Kraków that they were really hot on ticket checks during the journey, whereas you often find in a lot of European countries that checks are few and far between.

Scary Toys Factory is beyond SBNO. Plenty of trees growing through it on my last visit. Dream Hunters would only dispatch with 3+ riders so you making Dutch friends (like me and Matty weirdly did in Poland) was a bonus. We borrowed 2 random Polish children that definitely wasn't dodgy at all.

Scary Toys Factory is beyond SBNO. Plenty of trees growing through it on my last visit. Dream Hunters would only dispatch with 3+ riders so you making Dutch friends (like me and Matty weirdly did in Poland) was a bonus. We borrowed 2 random Polish children that definitely wasn't dodgy at all.
I was just confused because I knew there was a Zyklon there and forgot there were 2…

The big wheel at Legendia is probably the most terrified I've ever been on a ride.

Such an odd park you've got Lech and the surrounding area, the rapids, shoot the Chutes ride, the main entrance, and the basilisk dark ride that shows what they can do with investment. Then there's the rest of the park.

The big wheel at Legendia is probably the most terrified I've ever been on a ride.

Such an odd park you've got Lech and the surrounding area, the rapids, shoot the Chutes ride, the main entrance, and the basilisk dark ride that shows what they can do with investment. Then there's the rest of the park.
The water rides were all shut unfortunately but the Lech area and Basilisk shows they are capable of good things. With their visitor numbers though, is it worth it?

Day 6 - Katowice to London
The entirety of the last day was dedicated to travel. Not ideal, but needs must. My flight back to Stansted this time was from Katowice airport, and like Kraków, it seemed to have a railway station but I could not work out the best way to actually get to it. I thought I’d check the airport’s website to see how they recommend getting there, and all arrows pointed towards a bus company called Matuszek. Their website seemed a bit odd; instead of just booking the bus for the time you want, you have to choose the flight you’re catching and the bus will get you there accordingly. A great idea, except for the fact that they get you there exactly 4 hours before your flight departs.

The concept sounds great for incoming flights (if you’re delayed, the bus will wait for you) but just seems a bit silly for outbound. I guess you could just book the bus for the “wrong” flight to arrive later, but having no idea about the logistics of the airport (maybe it frequently takes hours to get through security?!) I decided to just roll with it. Can always treat myself to a lounge for a few hours? No. They wouldn’t let you pass through security until 2 hours before the flight and as airports typically are, it’s in the middle of nowhere!

The bus service itself was actually really good. I was expecting a coach but it turned out to be a mini bus with only 2 other people occupying it, plus the driver. I was also expecting a QR/barcode ticket of some description but the email confirmation is all you need it seems, for them to just tick your name off a list! At £4 per person, if they weren’t already making a loss on the journey, they definitely did when the driver got pulled over by the Policja for speeding and issued him a ticket, just 5 minutes away from the airport! At least that killed a bit of time I needed to waste…

The flight was again with Ryanair and cost around £51 to go back to Stansted. We were nicely on time. From the airport I took the Stansted Express to Tottenham Hale, which runs every half-hour. Top tip - book your SX tickets in advance for the best price. It’s valid for any single journey on the day of travel so you can just get the next train after you pass through the UK border. From Tottenham Hale I got a local bus home and was back in time for tea!

I hope you’ve enjoyed reading this trip report! It was a great holiday which, despite being in a totally unfamiliar country, came with very few stresses. I’m just glad I didn’t decide to fly a day later when pretty much all flights out of Luton were cancelled due to the insane car park fire.

Anyway, naturally I made a video to document the trip… I’m quite happy with how this one turned out. Thanks for reading, happy to answer any questions about travelling in Poland!