• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Enterprise Site

Wouldn’t it swing out too close to Oblivion from any angle it was put at though?

Not too sure. Could they not utilise some of the old Submission site too so it doesn't swing over it?

Not a huge flat ride fan myself but I love a gyro swing. The park really is missing a trick with not having one.

Not too sure. Could they not utilise some of the old Submission site too so it doesn't swing over it?

Not a huge flat ride fan myself but I love a gyro swing. The park really is missing a trick with not having one.
I've always thought that one would be a good fit for Blade's site once that finally pops its cogs. Would make more sense there as it's lower down, it wouldn't be able to swing above the treeline.

Last edited:
I've always thought that one would be a good fit for Blade's site once that finally pops its cogs. Would make more sense there as it's lower down, it wouldn't be able to swing above the treeline.
I agree that that Blade site would be more suited than X Sector. Gyro swings are awesome (some of my fave flats!) but I think planning permission would be quickly denied for X Sector due to height at full swing.

Submission and Enterprise were both really quite small in terms of full height when running.

Honest question - do travelling rides require planning permission? Is there a maximum amount of time before they must be deconstructed or permission sought?
I think all of the locations where the Retrosquad rides have been placed for example are covered by Permitted Development and therefore planning permission is not required.

Honest question - do travelling rides require planning permission? Is there a maximum amount of time before they must be deconstructed or permission sought?
Not the ones that Alton Towers have been using, no, because of their size and location. They all sit within the park General Development Zones, where the park don't require specific planning permission to build rides of a certain height. They could build permanent flat rides with foundations of the same sizes on those spots and not need permission.

On advice at work many years ago regarding a short term facilities storage unit (bogs and showers), we were advised that in planning terms temporary means less than ninety days.
If the structure is to be placed for more than that, planning is required.
Next door kicked off after six months!

Sorry - should have been clearer, didn't mean the current crop of travelling rides - but I meant in theory if Alton Towers were to hire a huge travelling ride and plonk it on the tarmac near Air, would that be lawful and if so for how long?

I believe some precedent for this was set way back with Space Boat...

Sorry - should have been clearer, didn't mean the current crop of travelling rides - but I meant in theory if Alton Towers were to hire a huge travelling ride and plonk it on the tarmac near Air, would that be lawful and if so for how long?

I believe some precedent for this was set way back with Space Boat...
There are certain areas where Alton Towers would be allowed to plonk travelling rides up to 25m tall as a permanent addition without any planning permission. The Air car park is not one of those areas, in fact even the plaza/picnic by the ride's entrance are not within the permitted development area. There's actually not very much of the GDO areas that aren't currently in use... Dark Forest is probably the best opportunity for that at the moment.

Outside of that, they can (and have) plonked temporary rides up on the hotel car parks before, such as with the Elves Playground. But whilst they could, I think they would be cautious about such things, as it could impact future planning permissions, etc due to the relationship with the local community and council.

Space Boat was somewhat unusual in regard to planning, as it was basically built at the same time that planning permission was applied for. So there was only about six weeks when it was present but without planning permission.

I don’t think there was anything wrong in hoping the ride would return.

What we are likely to get is something inferior to a 30+ year old ride.
My point was rather aimed at us being told it wasn’t returning, it being sat dismantled for a season, the crane lifting gondolas away yet still some were convinced it was returning. I see your point about is getting something inferior, and I very much agree. It’ll either be:
1. A fairground ride
2. Nothing

My point was rather aimed at us being told it wasn’t returning, it being sat dismantled for a season, the crane lifting gondolas away yet still some were convinced it was returning. I see your point about is getting something inferior, and I very much agree. It’ll either be:
1. A fairground ride
2. Nothing
Same sort of speculation about Sub Terra.

No one really knows, but I would always like to edge towards hope rather than despair. Especially considering the current ride lineup.

My point was rather aimed at us being told it wasn’t returning, it being sat dismantled for a season, the crane lifting gondolas away yet still some were convinced it was returning.
Not quite what happened is it. Gondolas were moved to the site, not away from it.

It remains curious but with the benefit of hindsight one assumes they were moved there ready for the scrap merchant to assess/take away along with the structure.