• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Entrance Price Increase.. AGAIN!!

Indeed, although us enthusiasts know that there is always a plentiful suply of BOGOFs, I don't think the casual, once a year visitor does.

I've got tonthe point now where I actually want the park to fail. It's the only way they will learn. If they keep upping prices while cutting things... and getting away with it... they will never stop. The best thing that could happen is for the park to reach Camelot levels of near-desertion, so that Merlin sell it off. I have faith that someone would step in and buy the park. They could hardly do a worse job than it's current owners!

All the GP have to do is go on the official website and BAM they think oh what a bargain 40% off which works about £24.30, i don't know anyone in my constituency that has used BOGOF vouchers or paid at the gate instead of using the internet to purchase tickets

GaryH said:
Has TowersStreet asked Merlin/Alton for comment on this?
Alton Towers and Merlin have been unable to leave comments in this instance.

JaykeAT said:
Might be off topic,but does anyone know the E-mail address for Merlin if you wanted to ask question about stuff like this?
  • comments[at]merlinentertainments.biz
  • enquiries[at]merlinentertainments.biz
  • guest.services[at]alton-towers.com
  • (not sure if this email is still active) info[at]alton-towers.com

Replace [at] with @

You're unlikely to receive much of a reply though. They usually issue generic replies for these type of things.

Yeah, don't waste your time emailing them. All you will get is a standard response full of lies along the lines of "Alton Towers is represents great value for money as a family day out"

You may have better luck contacting the Sentinel. I wrote to them when parking prices increased and they immediately got in touch, ran a story and had a response back from Alton Towers and Merlin, not to mention some locals. Just drop them a line asking if they are aware AT have yet again increased their prices!

Going back to the GP and prices, vouchers etc. also to bear in mind are the misleading signs which show the prices before VAT nice and big and bold, and the price 99% of people pay in tiny print next to it. Actually.... while its not illegal, I wonder if Watchdog fancy running a story about this! Maybe drop them a line too lol!

Someone in accounts will have run this on some sort of model and come to the conclusion that it will create more revenue. That will be the sole motivation because AT is missing its targets (probably). ;)

BUT, that is not the point! Pricing is as much about the impression it gives via reputation, word of mouth, value for money than the practicality of revenue vs BOGOF.

This out of the blue decision is worrying because it speaks of a short term mentality in their pricing strategy. £45 is VERY expensive - and whist most people will not pay it it is certainly a talking point and will linger in peoples minds as they go through the turnstiles. :(

I like the idea of cutting the gate price and pushing buy one get one half price vouchers. ;D

I genuinely do not understand what is happening in Merlin HQ, its like a bunch of monkeys have taken control.

I can imagine the (now monthly) 'what can we do to get even more money from Alton' meeting:
MerlinBod1 - we need to get more money, more, now!
MerlinBod2 - but we've already cut opening hours!
MerlinBod3 - and put the car parking up, we did try to close rides, but guests hated that and them online geeks moaned.
MerlinBod1 - not good enough, its still not enough money - mooooore money
MerlinBod2 - we have cut the entertainment
MerlinBod3 - and we are shoving fast track down every guests throat
MerlinBod1 - MORE MONEY MORE MONEY
MerlinBod2 - we could just whack up the gate price again
MerlinBod1 - *explodes in a mess of excitement and happiness*

--
Yes its bit harsh, but I bet Im not far from the truth. Im starting to dread checking TST on a daily basis to see what else they have managed to cock up over night.

£45 would be acceptable (ish) for a world class, theme park. Alton towers is certainly not that, it isn't even top in the UK anymore.
Look at disney as a premium product, free fast-track, frequent parades, long opening hours, walking entertainment, constant high quality investments, regular events.

Alton you ARE NOT a high quality product.
If you find comparisons against Disney unfair it is time you stopped telling the world 'Merlin' is second behind them in the world, and stopped charging almost identical prices for a much MUCH inferior product.

The problem is, Alton is top in the UK.

It attracts far more guests than any other.

Yet what you get from the park vs 3m guests a year or less parks abroad is shocking. I suggest Merlin bods and Alton managers check out how much better it can be out of Merlins clutches.

Yet they charge more than ANY other and in the nations psyche, AT is just a complete and total extortion.

Seriously. 4.00pm ride close at these prices? I hope NOBODY visits.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

So for the poor unfortunate soul that turns up at Towers at 10am and is ripped of their £45 on a September weekday, they pay £7.50 per hour for their day, assuming they stay until ride close and don't get fed up of closed shops and shabby looking themeing.

Plus the food. Plus the car parking token.

Wow. GREAT VALUE FOR MONEY!!! *books break to Europa*

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Personally I don't think £45 isn't that bad I don't think many people pay full price anyway but If it does increase anymore that will have to start includeing car park prices

Does anyone have any hard facts to back up this "very few people pay full price" theory? I find it hard to believe myself.
(Not aimed specifically at you, josht)

I agree with what Sam was saying at the start of the topic. £45 is ridiculous, but the BOGOFs mean they're trapped in a highly illogical corner. They can't raise prices much more because pay on the day guests will stop coming and the vouchers themselves will end up being more expensive than most other parks' normal price. Yet they're not making enough money to lower the price.

What they need to do is scrap the BOGOFs and set a new price that serves as a nice medium between the current BOGOF price and on the day price. £30 would be more than reasonable.

So, £50 before 2015? Before 2014?

I don't think anyone has any figures, Diogo, but because the market is so saturated with BOGOFs and 2 for 1 vouchers, I think it'd be a bit naïve to assume that they aren't used very often by Towers guests.

I don't doubt that they get used. But I suspect a lot more people pay full price than some members are making out.

We were told at the Customer Council meetings in 2007 that around 6% walk up and pay full whack.

But that simply isn't the point. I hate the fact Alton are satisfied with their rip off image. People don't talk about £22.50. They talk about £45.

What's hilarious is that the BOGOF rate has risen from £19.80 to £22.50 in little over a year. That's £2.70 - far more than most parks even put their full price up a year! It's about 12%! Madness!

Re : 4.00pm closes Diogo, it has always been and will remain my intention to boycott the park on any day where ride close is pre advertised at this time .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

josht said:
Personally I don't think £45 isn't that bad I don't think many people pay full price anyway but If it does increase anymore that will have to start includeing car park prices
Really don't think there is. there are always offers on either on 2 for 1 are group savings and if you book online it's a bit cheaper just not sure about groups of three whether one will have to pay full price

I'm glad to have not paid to get in yet this season (once was on my old AP, and once was for free for an event). I just can't fathom what the Merlin suits are thinking! Idiots!

Blaze said:
So, £50 before 2015? Before 2014?

I think it's pretty given 2013 will the the year Alton hits £50. They will most likely hike the price up to £47 this Scarefest and Fireworks - then next season will hit off at £48, rising to £50 next summer.

Unless Alton get hit really hard by this price increase I believe the above will most likely happen this year and next year.

And i would get ready to Boycott Thorpe as i would put money on it being a Merlin directive... I cant stand that bloody company, they are the joke of the theme park industry.

Parks left to rot
Budgets cut
and price increases for less and less product.

grrr