• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Entrance Price Increase.. AGAIN!!

I am getting to the point of pulling my trip this year. But as it my daughter first visit to AT I will still go, but i feel the yearly mates outing to Alton my be coming to an end.

The price rise and AT not answering tweet and email i have sent with question is adding to this sour taste AT is giving me at the moment.

Delta - to be honest, I don't think M£rlin give a dam. Maybe if you were a substantial shareholder then they may reply to you.....

delta79 said:
I am getting to the point of pulling my trip this year. But as it my daughter first visit to AT I will still go, but i feel the yearly mates outing to Alton my be coming to an end.

The price rise and AT not answering tweet and email i have sent with question is adding to this sour taste AT is giving me at the moment.

Use This form to get a response from Alton Towers, i know this has had bad press in the past but some people have reported they are getting a good response rate with it... think they may have improved the system.

Or try re-tweeting as they get 100's of tweets a day and it's easy for yours to get swamped.

Tried to search the forum, but it doesn't seem to be here.

Towers2 next day tickets have been reduced to £5 - I believe this is adult price.

really?! Are you sure that isn't child price?

Or do you have to also sell your soul to merlin as part of the transaction?

Considering how DEAD the park is (and has been so far this year), how do people suggest Towers make the monetary targets set by Merlin (and incidently, Blackstone, owners of the Busch parks as well as Merlin)?

It's a situation which is extremely difficult to remedy in the current climate... And many ideas will be incredibly hard to put forward in a business portfolio... As much as people might think that lower entrance fees, longer openings and what not would make things better, thinking on a monetary side of things is the MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT of the park... Herein lies the issue, money does indeed make the world go round, and a park that doesn't make money will decay worse, get no investment and see worse days... I'm sure no-one really wants Towers to be in a situation where it might shut, especially in a time where buyers will be difficult to find (unless people make a football club, then we might find some rich Arab/American/Russian)

I think longer opening hours MIGHT also have an issue with the local area, just based on the traffic situation that would happen... But that's another discussion...

The two day pass is, and always has been, great value.

But Alton isn't seen as a two day visit. Hell, it may be on a 4pm close though! !!

It's the £45 that hits headlines. That's what gives parks a bad rep. That's what matters.

Doing this WILL NOT HELP them save this wretched season.

God I hope 2013 isn't like this .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

AT are doing themselves no favors this year. They will appear on 'Britains Worst Value Day Out' again at this rate. Perhaps a jolt from the press is what it will take for them to rethink how they price the park? There is a balance to be met and AT are tipping it somewhat when you consider the overall price of your day out!

Lightwater Valley Theme Park on Facebook said:
4 hours ago
Hello all! We just wanted to reassure you all that our ticket price will not be going up this year. Don't forget the best priced tickets are available to buy on our website at £16 per person.

Ladies and gentleman, LWV. 8)

Get your rides in in SW7 then retire from the park as Merlin will float after then and we'll be seeing £10 parking and £60 admission.

Sam said:
4 hours ago
Hello all! We just wanted to reassure you all that our ticket price will not be going up this year. Don't forget the best priced tickets are available to buy on our website at £16 per person.

That old trick is wearing thin now. I project they'll charge for parking by 2014.

I highly doubt that. They have said before that they have no intention of charging for parking.

Benzin said:
Considering how DEAD the park is (and has been so far this year), how do people suggest Towers make the monetary targets set by Merlin (and incidently, Blackstone, owners of the Busch parks as well as Merlin)?

It's a situation which is extremely difficult to remedy in the current climate...

The trouble is i would put money on the lack of guests this year been associated with peoples reduced disposable incomes as we head into this 2nd recession... increasing prices is not really conducive to getting guests back!!!

Sam said:
4 hours ago

A bit cheeky of them considering the wide gulf in quality between LWV and Alton - it's like comparing FC Barcelona and Scunthorpe; you'd expect Scunthorpe to have lower ticket prices.

Thing is surely M$rlin dont realise that if the entrance price is cheaper people will have more spare cash to spend on other things in the park which may be sold at a higher profit, for example, on ride photos, food and drink, souvenirs, games machines etc etc.

If you take all the money people have available at the gate then the park itself wont make any money. Im sure the profit margins of some of the shops and the tack they sell would bring in more cash than gate numbers alone.....

Again it just doesnt make sense, why put people off visiting, why take all their money before they enter, WHY M$erlin, WHY!!?? Drop the entrance prices to around £35, then people will spend a lot more when they are in the park, plus it may also encourage people to visit in the first place.

Is it wrong that I find Lightwater's cheeky digs quite amusing?

There's nothing like the competition giving you a kicking whole you're down and then laughing just to rub salt in the wound ;).

The parks may not be comparable, but in relative terms, Lightwater's admission price is relevant to their offerings. Towers is not.

I do not expect a dilapidated, rotting park for £45. I want noodles, I want decent toilets, I want freshly painted fascades, I want late ride closes, and I want FUN.

One out of five ain't bad.. on a good day ;).

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

I reckon a straight day entry ticket should cost about £25 for the day on the gate, but if booked online beforehand it should cost around £20. They should phase out the 'BOGOF' offers quickly in order to allow this to happen. Then they could turn around the next year and say "We've dropped our prices by around 50 percent". This would create a good line with regards to marketing and if more people did enter the park, the food stalls etc would increase profits even further. I'm no expert though.

Sazzle I can see it now in the LWV admin staff room.

One of the marketing team sits down across the coffee table from the boss.

Marketing bod " Boss, have you hear the latest thing from Alton Towers"
Boss " the price rise, yes. take it you have a cheeky dig tweet line up"
Marketing bod " Oh heck yeah"

DiogoJ42 said:
I highly doubt that. They have said before that they have no intention of charging for parking.

It's a business, and managers and accountants come and go.

Lightwater is not run by accountants. It's run by people who do it for the love of the park, not the money. (This is probably why they can't afford to buy a new ride, but hey...)