• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Entrance Price Increase.. AGAIN!!

well there is a tipping point where people just wont pay any more and merlin has got to be careful they don't get to that point with continuing increases.

I said this yest in my trip report.

Using the adults go free with kids vouchers we paid almost £90 for a family of 4 plus parking. Thats alot of money. Theres no two ways about it, Alton Towers is a VERY expensive day out - and Im not sure its worth that much.

We certainly wont be back as a family this season, not because our day was bad, but handing over that amount of money hurts. If it keeps going up we'll just go less and less.

thefatone said:
You're kidding me, right? 60p?

A news story and a half there. Thanks.

You used to be able to buy 6 Chomps for that...

Now you're lucky to buy 3...

#BrokenBritain

At least its only 60p - usually it goes up a bit more than that. Wonder if the car parking will go up next year though to compensate....

It's just ridiculous now. It may only be 60p but it's constantly creeping up. You don't have to look many years back to see how expensive it has become. I went on Saturday and with a half price ticket; the day still cost me close to £85 inc. petrol, food etc.

The park's getting worse, the price is getting higher. Joke.

And yet people will still defend Alton Towers & Merlin to the death.

People will defend Alton Towers and what they try to do... Merlin, well, you'll be hard pushed to find many people striving to defend them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

With the park increasing its prices, would it be fair to expect Merlin to invest more? More in maintenance, infrastructure, rides, theming and entertainment?

ImUrNemeis said:
With the park increasing its prices, would it be fair to expect Merlin to invest more? More in maintenance, infrastructure, rides, theming and entertainment?

Erm...not quite in their case...

QTXAdsy said:
ImUrNemeis said:

Erm...not quite in their case...

True... A bit too much to ask from Merlin. It's the least anyone would expect to do if you are increasing entrance fee. :( Even European theme parks don't seam to charge as much as Alton and yet manages to invest in its parks.

This year has been relatively tame so far. It rose three times last year and I think the total increase was £3 something?

In fairness to Merlin, this is a price rise of just under 1.3% and means they will be getting 48p extra from each full priced ticket.

The increase is well below the inflation rate, and Merlin could argue that in real terms, the price of a park ticket has come down.

With the minimum wage increasing each year, and new pension requirements (Not sure if it applies to part time staff, but will apply to full time staff) there is an additional cost that the park has to cover.

I think its also realistic to expect the materials required to maintain and refurbish the park rides has increased.

When you think about it like that, it only seems sensible that the park increases ticket prices, to cover there additional costs, so investment in the park does not get reduced.

That all being said, when paying full price at Alton Towers, I do not think you get value for money, and when paying £90 for a family of 4, while a fun day out can be had, I am sure there are plenty of places a family can have just as good day, but only spend a fraction of the cost.

Ian

thefatone said:

I've got to disagree with your attitude towards the gate rises. Each season while Merlin have been in control the gate prices have risen each season. If we all just shrugged it off each time Merlin raises the gate prices I doubt they'd ever stop increasing them.

The sad truth is that unfortunately, people are still willing to pay these prices and as long as the public do, Merlin will keep increasing the gate admissions.

It might not be much of an increase and be below the rate of inflation, but considering both DIC Tussauds and Merlin have already increased the entry price far beyond the rate of inflation, no increase should be justifiable. What's been added to the park, and how the existing rides have been managed for just over the last 10 years hasn't justified such an increase.

But they're a business now (because they weren't 10+ years ago, apparently), so cuts, increased upselling and price increases for no apparent reason are okay.

What confuses me, is that it is mid-season? If it was for the start of the season fair enough, but mid season?

cotda said:
What confuses me, is that it is mid-season? If it was for the start of the season fair enough, but mid season?

There were two mid-season price rises last year. combined with the increase in place from the start of the season, there were three increases in 2012 which equalled £3 when you added them all together. It was £46 at the start of this season so has only (so far) risen by 80p. Hence why I said the rises this year have been relatively tame compared to last.

There may be another rise towards Scarefest and Fireworks, but I'm not sure.

It is funny that this price rise happened right at the start of one of the busiest part of there year.

JoshM said:
thefatone said:

I've got to disagree with your attitude towards the gate rises. Each season while Merlin have been in control the gate prices have risen each season. If we all just shrugged it off each time Merlin raises the gate prices I doubt they'd ever stop increasing them.

The sad truth is that unfortunately, people are still willing to pay these prices and as long as the public do, Merlin will keep increasing the gate admissions.

Yeah, the thing is, very few people are paying the admission price to get in. Key point there. This is not a Merlin thing, this was going on way before Merlin got involved with the parks.