• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Europa Park 27th and 28th October 2018

John_P

TS Member
Europa Park 27th and 28th October.

Not written a trip report in a very long time but I thought with visiting a park of such magnitude it was worth giving it ago, for the first time on Towers/Europa Street as well.

Arriving on Saturday morning about 8.15am just driving in the place looks the part, and then after navigating your way on foot you get to that fantastic park entrance. I'm certainly starting to appreciate a grand entrance. (Poor Phantasialand).

Anyhow after milling about and taking in the atmosphere of the Italian area of the park Ed Euromaus appears above us as some sort of fun controlling overlord and commences a countdown to opening.

From the rope drop it's off to Iceland at the back of the park and straight onto the front row of Blue Fire. Being a fan of Icon this was much anticipated, and whilst I'd say Icon is the better coaster blue fire is still a cracking ride with some great inversions, especially the one at the end. Will hopefully complete the trilogy with Helix next year which I'm very excited for having been on Taron a few weeks back.

From Blue Fire it was quickly onto the parks last major coaster Wodan. Whilst my current top 3 are all steel launch coasters my first love has always been wooden ones from a regular late 80s early 90s childhood of Blackpool Pleasure Beach visits. (If Grand National still ran like it did then I'd probably still rate it as number 1). Recent years have seen me thoroughly enjoy Troy, and Joris, plus of course Wicker Man their slightly more junior cousin. In fact having been back on all 3 layouts in the past month this was my most anticipated coaster of the trip. It certainly delivered, from the immersive queue leading to an intense coaster that didn't let up once. I'm still up in the air as to whether it's topped Troy but it's close!

Despite the very inclement weather we then braved Atlantica Supersplash, my decision against a poncho soon backfired when most of the super splash landed in my lap, really fun though, and didn't expect the backwards bit.
We headed then for the Alpenexpress, a fun powered mine train.

The next big coaster taken on was Silver Star, having heard other peoples opinion before visiting and being a fan of Shambhala I wasn't expecting much. But then with a '50' minute queue that didn't seem to stop moving, a very nice indoor queue section and a fantastic front row ride I was very impressed.
It was also my 120th coaster, which was nice after Taron being 110th at the start of the month.

With the earlier poncho mistake rectified and after a quick go on Pegasus it was time for Poseidon which again was loads of fun, and very good for taking photos of.

With the big 3 completed and Eurosat on an untenable 85 minute queue it was time to knock off the rest of the rides. EuroMir with it's never ending spiral lift hill and techno was a firm favourite, with it's fun spinning at the top turning into a surprisingly intense experience by the end.
The bobsleigh was a bit poor, much prefer Avalance. Also possibly the longest queue of the weekend.

Matterhorn Blitz was a bit of a disappointment, looked great off ride and the lift swaying as you went up was certainly different.

The final new coaster of the day was Arthur with it's lovely indoor queue, I'd been advised to watch the film before going on the film was I had a vague idea what was going on in the ride and was able to explain to the rest of the group why a snoop dog song popped up on the onboard audio. Thought the ride was great, really amazed there has only been another one of these rides built.

With the darkness setting in it was time for rerides starting with front row on Silver Star, another go on euromir and then back to where we started with a cracking ride on blue fire, and a fantastically intense ride on Wodan, still can't decide if it tops Troy though.

So the park blew away my expectations across the board from the quality of the rides, the staff, the general theming and park atmosphere, and the operations itself. The queues just don't stop moving.

The only really annoyance I encountered was the enormous queues to buy lunch, sadly the food loop queue was just too big, but the lines for burgers etc was quite tedious but with the park so busy I'd let them off with that.

Will post day 2 in a few days...

Great to see another EP fan.

I agree on the food queues, we’ve always been surprised at how long/slow these can be in a park which has an otherwise stellar reputation. Places like the Greek quick service facing Poseidon routinely seem to have huge and slow queues from the moment they open.

Also agree on Silver Star - it does, to me at least, seem to attract a bit more negativity than it merits. Personally it’s one of my favourite coasters in the park, especially at the back.

Day 2

For everyone wondering from part 1 my 100th coaster was in August at Fantasy Island, 99 was The Millennium Coaster, I came off that to find The Odyssey was shut so Rhombus Rocket was that particular landmark.

The sunday started off pretty much the same as the Saturday with an early arrival at the park, this time the plan was to hit the new for 2018 Eurosat-CanCan Coaster straight from park opening.

Thankfully this gambit paid off with us being not too far back in a queue that continued to grow before the ride opened. The theming with the Moulin Rouge windmill and the queueline and station was immaculately done, and I was excited for the ride. So boarding the coaster and setting off on the spiral lift hill complete with Eiffel tower and some music was very enchanting. Sadly that was as good as it got, the ride was alright I suppose but the theming inside didn't seem to have been realised as well as everything that had gone before. The near misses were ok, and a nice nod to Lumiere near the start but that was about it. To compound things despite the trains having onboard speakers their was no audio playing during the ride. Probably the biggest disappointment of the trip if I'm honest. Felt sorry for anyone queueing the 60+ minutes it seemed to be constantly during the weekend.
From reading this forum and others it seems like it's been a bit of a misfire for the park, hopefully they'll be able to sort it out over the close season.

From that we went back to a sure fire winner in Silver Star, certainly a refreshing way to start the day. At this point the rain was becoming a hindrance so to combat this we went on Poseidon, which was again fun but not a great idea. Also put the kibosh on doing the rapids (which looked horrific in the weather), or the log flume as no one fancied sitting in Basel airport dripping wet. To warm up we then did the mad house which I really enjoyed.

After that we went for the ride with the spiral lift hill you could count on Euromir. At this point it was becoming obvious that the park was nowhere near as busy as the Saturday and we headed to Finland and Wodan which in the wind and rain seemed to fly even more than the Saturday night. Still can't decide between Troy or Wodan still though, I did buy a nice magnet though.

After that with the weather worsening we headed for lunch and gave a great deal of thought towards making an earlier dart than originally anticipated. So to avoid the weather we did the eurotower and Geisterschloss and moved towards the park entrance to look in the shops and the museum.

Thankfully around oneish the weather broke and we made the decision to stay until around 4pm, this coincided with Silver Star having a 5 minute queue so we quickly got two rides on that including a great back row ride. Over the weekend it actually for me topped Shambhala which is something I didn't expect to happen.

We again rode euromir, it's just such a fun coaster! The highlight this time was coming back into the station to see the next riders dancing to the techno beat.

We finally ended the weekend were we started with Blue Fire again just being a great ride.

So to sum it all up I loved Europa Park, as you can see from my reports it was a coaster heavy trip (missed Baa-express though) so there was no time for shows or more general exploring and some of the other ride types which was a pity. Plus the rubbish weather on the sunday didn't help.

Definitely want to return in 2019 to see more of the park, and hopefully have a great time again.

Also cheers to people on the forum who've answered some of my inane questions about the park over the past ten months.