• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Europa Park: The Imperfections

Europa Park has increased their accommodation offering a lot, but so have a lot of theme parks. Alton Towers, Chessington World of Adventures and Blackpool Pleasure Beach are all theme parks that have significantly increased their accommodation. The fact that Europa Park’s visitor numbers have kept on rising suggests the holiday makers from further afield are adding to local visitors, rather than taking away from them.

I think Europa Park does sometimes do promotions aimed more at locals, particularly during the winter season. But there’s limited opportunity for them to do local discounts. Europa Park clearly offers a higher quality product than your typical UK park with longer opening hours, better maintenance, costumed staff, carefully manicured flower beds, lots of live entertainment etc. It simply wouldn’t be viable to do that with much of a discount.

Inevitably some local will have been priced out the market, but if a lot of them couldn’t afford it, Europa Park’s model and growth wouldn’t have worked. That region is very prosperous with a fairly high rate of hi tech manufacturing. It’s well connected for exports, with a fairly central location in Europe, whilst the euro has kept the currency competitive. The German education system is more vocational with a higher rate of the skills a high tech economy needs. Strasbourg is a major ‘local’ market for Europa Park, and that’s also a prosperous city, with fast connections to Paris, and the European parliament. The Rhine is an important shipping route, which has strengthened the region on both sides of the river. Shipping on its own doesn’t make a region prosperous, and the UK has several deprived towns with major ports. But shipping can really boost an economy when it’s combined with other factors. The key thing here is that the Rhine isn't just shipping in imports. It's shipping in raw materials that are processed into goods, and then exported again. German law has prevented the proliferation of zero hour contracts, although low wages can still be a problem. Whilst German does have housing shortages and a housing crisis, tighter regulation has prevented it becoming as bad as the UK’s.

I don’t think Europa Park’s successful because they’ve turned their back on locals. They’re successful because most locals can afford a superior product. That’s a very simplistic analysis and there are hundreds of other reasons, but the points still stands.

This is entirely personal preference--and generally I tend to agree with the other post I read here that EP is, overall, the best theme park on the planet--but I do not like the long circular lift hills on Euro-Mir and Can Can Coaster. They are kind of a boring way to start each ride and I would prefer a normal lift hill

This is entirely personal preference--and generally I tend to agree with the other post I read here that EP is, overall, the best theme park on the planet--but I do not like the long circular lift hills on Euro-Mir and Can Can Coaster. They are kind of a boring way to start each ride and I would prefer a normal lift hill
That is controversial... and I entirely agree with you! Those who say that the lift hill is the best part of Euro Mir for instance are just wrong! Eurosat's I find more tolerable as there is more to look at and it's about a minute shorter than Mir's anyway. Mir's was better when you could guarantee that your car would spin going up.

CanCan's is nice with the quicker pace, music, scenery and countdown. Have no problem with it.
But Mir's is totally dull. Slow, long, nothing to see. Would be better scrapped (just like the coaster itself 😝).

Can Can's lift is the last well themed bit of the ride.

To be controversial: If the rides in Switzerland and France were removed I'd miss none of the coasters and I'd only miss Dawn, Madame Freudenreich and her dinosaurs.

Last edited:
Organic doesn't always mean good though, it's like when people describe something as quirky, what they really mean is it's awkward to use.

They need water fountains in the park, can’t believe I missed this in my first post.

Fridges in ALL the hotel rooms wouldn’t go a miss either. It’s all very nice having “welcoming water” but not when it’s warm….
I think they are installing some Coke Freestyle machines around the park (not 100% sure). If so, hopefully these will be set to allow water to be dispensed for free. Would be a real pity if not.

Coke freestyle is great but I don't think many people are aware that they give water for free, Merlin really could push this as part of there green credentials, it pleases visitors. Obviously it's also a really helpful service which people should know about.

Organic doesn't always mean good though, it's like when people describe something as quirky, what they really mean is it's awkward to use.

In the case of Europa-Park, organic is good.

If you remove all of the strange, unusual things from EP that have been added over the decades it has been open, you'd end up with a perfectly polished thing with no oddities.

The Euro-Mir lift hill and structure is one such oddity. It makes Europa-Park what it is.

One reason I don't like Phantasialand as much as EP is that whilst their attractions are all blockbuster, it lacks the middle to lower tier stuff that Europa-Park offers.

I love parks that have a hotchpotch range!

In the case of Europa-Park, organic is good.

If you remove all of the strange, unusual things from EP that have been added over the decades it has been open, you'd end up with a perfectly polished thing with no oddities.

The Euro-Mir lift hill and structure is one such oddity. It makes Europa-Park what it is.

One reason I don't like Phantasialand as much as EP is that whilst their attractions are all blockbuster, it lacks the middle to lower tier stuff that Europa-Park offers.

I love parks that have a hotchpotch range!
Fair enough, haven't visited, wasn't directly commenting on EP, just saying that sometimes people use such things as an excuse for things that are impractical.

I think they are installing some Coke Freestyle machines around the park (not 100% sure). If so, hopefully these will be set to allow water to be dispensed for free. Would be a real pity if not.

I really do hope they install these.

I know the arena of football have a couple already, but I’d be pleased if they introduced refill cups like the snorri ones in Rulantica.

Here’s hoping 👍

I feel like the Arena ones were a bit of a novelty, but those installed in Rulantica showed a real commitment to roll them out.

I wonder whether they even had plans to do so before Covid hit? I’d imagine covid would have put the brakes on it if there were.

I was thinking about this after I posted about not liking the Euro-Mir circular lift. Euro-Mir might be my least favorite coaster at EP, and I find the lift boring, but I wouldn't want the ride to go anywhere. The lift and the mirror wild mouse section that follows is so strange and unique that even if it's not my favorite, it does help "make Europa Park what it is" as you said.

Cassandra is crap and lacks the theatrics and story telling far far lesser parks have used to enhance a madhouse.
I thought Kassandra was surprisingly weak, as well. It’s not an awful ride by any means, but it’s definitely the weakest madhouse I’ve ridden (with the others being Hex at Alton Towers, Haunted House Monster Party at Legoland Windsor and The Haunting at Drayton Manor), which surprised me given Europa’s dark ride prowess.

I think it could do with a pre-show or something to explain the story a bit, personally. And I agree that it possibly lacks a bit of drama and spectacle compared to other madhouses I’ve done.

I did find the surprises in the seating a fun and unexpected touch, though!

I thought Kassandra was surprisingly weak, as well. It’s not an awful ride by any means, but it’s definitely the weakest madhouse I’ve ridden (with the others being Hex at Alton Towers, Haunted House Monster Party at Legoland Windsor and The Haunting at Drayton Manor), which surprised me given Europa’s dark ride prowess.
I would disagree about Europa’s dark ride prowess. Their latest ones (notably the new version of pirates) look great but before Arthur they were all pretty weak (with the possible exception of Diamond Mine but is it really a dark ride?)