• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Eurovision 2022: Sweepstake.

CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE

@John has won the Yugoslavia travel guide

@Poisson might as well get a prize since we won the Jury Vote.

@WillPS had won a poop themed pencil case!

Darn that was close - any other year we might have won - but I guess it's nice to see the depth of support for Ukraine across Europe. And tbf jumping about on stage wearing a pink hat is very Eurovision!

@WillPS - send me your details and I'll make sure you get your rainbow poop-themed pencil case!

Happy Gay Christmas everyone! 🏳️‍🌈

After being told for years no one would vote for us because everyone hates us, a fascinating insight into who could bring themselves to throw points our way

Screenshot_20220515-073038_Chrome~2.jpg

A much stronger jury vote than televote suggests 'the people' still aren't that keen.

This is quite a fun thing to look through to see where the votes came and went. Poor Germany, we feel you pain.

Can we just take a moment to appreciate just how insane Serbia's entry was? Particularly with these lyrics:

What is the secret behind Meghan Markle's healthy hair?
What could be the secret?
What is the secret behind Meghan Markle's healthy hair?
What could it be?
What could be the secret?
I think that secret is the deep hydration
As they say
One's skin and hair reveal everything clearly
For example: dark circles around eyes point out to liver issues
Dark spots around lips might mean you have an enlarged spleen
An enlarged spleen is not good, not pretty

Okaaaay...

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as it's nice that Ukraine received so much support, it's a real shame because we would've come 1st had they not received sympathy votes. Anyway, although Zelensky has vowed to host it next year, I reckon that if they couldn't for any reason the UK would take the reigns, being 2nd placed.

As much as it's nice that Ukraine received so much support, it's a real shame because we would've come 1st had they not received sympathy votes.
I've seen this sort of comment a lot, but part of me thinks that had there not been a war on that we were seen to be supplying weapons for to Ukraine and generally supporting them, would we have been looked on so favourably? I don't think so.

N.b. this is not the thread to get into political Ukraine war discussion, if you wish to do so we have the Russia vs NATO thread, thanks.

I've seen this sort of comment a lot, but part of me thinks that had there not been a war on that we were seen to be supplying weapons for to Ukraine and generally supporting them, would we have been looked on so favourably? I don't think so.

N.b. this is not the thread to get into political Ukraine war discussion, if you wish to do so we have the Russia vs NATO thread, thanks.

There is ALWAYS going to be political/bloc voting it's true, even amongst the public televote. All but three countries gave Ukraine 10 or 12 points in the public vote. That's down to two factors I think: wanting to show support to a devastated, war-ravaged population, and also because in the context of the war it was a very emotive and powerful song. However the United Kingdom did far worse in the public vote than in the jury vote. It was a good song and it was well-performed, which impressed the juries, but I don't think the European public responded particular strongly in the UK's favour for any political reasons.

I mean we knew it'd be a landslide, but blimey the televote result for Ukraine was absolutely unprecedented. Every country gave them points, and the lowest number of points they were given was 7 by Serbia. A massive 28 countries gave them 12 points, meaning an average score given of 11.25, 439 points out of a maximum of 468 - completely and utterly insane!

In terms of political voting, there will always be an element of that, but they have the best balance possible with the jury/televote setup. The lazy argument that we get no points because "everyone hates us" is a poor one, and last night proved that beyond doubt. The truth is, our performance in recent years has been purely of our own doing, because the BBC have failed to take it seriously and consider that we need something that excels at all elements that make a winner.

Last year we had James Newman, nice guy who was liked at the contest and said the right things, but ultimately the song just wasn't that great. The performance was poor and the staging just laughable. Molly Smitten-Downes was a nice song, but the vocal on the night wasn't great and she had absolutely zero stage presence. We've tried gimmicks like getting Engelbert Humperdinck, well liked in Eastern Europe to try and pull in some of their vote. A lazy option which also failed.

Then we have Sam Ryder. Thoroughly nice bloke, incredible voice and established himself one hell of a following on TikTok. He said all the right things in the run up to the final, had an excellent song that would please the juries, worked his arse off on the promotional trail and can perform the song live the same if not better than the studio version. A choice that perfectly covered every single element of the "whole package" that makes a Eurovision winner.

Sure, if it wasn't for Ukraine perhaps we'd have had a better shot at winning, but frankly - who cares? The fact we were sat watching those 12 points rolling in on the jury vote and then a pretty respectable number from the televote was a far more enjoyable night than seeing us languishing at the bottom of the leader board, put out of our misery within minutes of the televote rolling in. More of this please BBC!

Last edited:
Well I never thought I'd see the UK finish in the top three in Eurovision again but there we are, that one night saw us end up with more points from not only when we won it the last time but also from all our other entries previously since that last victory which is saying something of how bad things have been since then. All the same, it would seem that for most of British public, this could see a major vindication for what many think of Eurovision and all the BBC have to do is after seeing how successful they have been this time around is to keep the momentum up and not screw it up for next year. If we can have similar success for next year, at least a top five finish (or at the very least finish on the left hand side) then who knows if then we can start taking the tournament seriously this time round.

Now regarding Ukraine, think we all did expect them to win, but the televote was ridiculously large for them to the point that my own cousin stated that it has to be a fix which while I can understand regarding the history of voting on the show, I do feel the vote was genuine but all the same I can't see a televote that large ever happening again. I hear many stating that it was because of Brexit and all other such political jargon that no one will be voting for us and that the only reason why we did well was because Russia become the new pariah of Europe and that we supported Ukraine, but then again did every other country did so too for Ukraine? Even before Brexit was a word, things weren't better for us either in Eurovision over the years. That performance and result for the UK does show that all you needed was a half decent song, likeable performer with good staging and you're good to go which this performance proved of what the UK was badly needing to do after all these years.

Anyway, the question of if Ukraine does host it for next year will be interesting in which personally the longer this war goes on then the more it seems unlikely they'd be able to do it as who knows what state the country will be in come next year for even if the war was to end tomorrow, it'll be years for the country to rebuild and as much why I can understand why they'd want to host it I think there are more important things to worry about to get the country back on its feet again. I do suspect that the UK would take on the hosting duties if Ukraine couldn't being the runners-up and all and if you know your history of Eurovision, it wouldn't be the first time that the UK would have to host it on someone's behalf, all the same it would've been funny just to imagine the look of horror on BBC executive's faces upon realising of having to spend a fortune of hosting it! :p

But seriously, I don't think the UK would go all in just now to make an offer to Ukraine to host it for that would be bad taste so soon though it is likely a back-up option on the mind of the EBU should things arise. Plus think about if Ukraine do host for as much as I would have nothing against them hosting it, the thought of a lavish production amidst the rubble and barely settled graves may be just too much for viewers to stomach and might tarnish Eurovision for some. Will be interesting to see where this will go...