• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Explaining Alton Towers....

Bethany

TS Member
So, imagine one of your friends is going to Alton Towers in a week, and they want to know what it is like. What do you do? How do you explain?

I would say, '' Alton Towers? It is so wonderfully magical and thrilling that it is hard to put into words!''

Nemmychick aka. Beth.

"Alton Towers will be a surprising new experience for you, different to any other amusement park or fair you've done in the past. Think about how those attractions did the job and times that by at least 5 with added extras like theming, dedicated staff, family focused atmosphere and a professional yet fun approach and not echoing other's stances. The place is magical and you need more than just a day there to fully experience what the Resort stands for."

It's every themepark experience in one! Never before has so much technology been combin- oh wait...

No, it's a fantastic place and I think that the vast majority of people in this country already know that just from the high esteem that the brand is held in.

Id describe it as the ancestral home of the Earl of Shrewsberry. with a few world first roller coasters and some other (aging) rides in the back garden

Well, the story goes like this:

Oh Alton, what a wonderful place!
The Towers, they're old, but full of grace.
There's Air, and Rita, and even TH13TEEN, (The ultimate ride you've ever dreamt of in one)
But don't forget 'Blivvy you good old bean!
The rush of the rides, the thrill of the Gs,
they leave me shaking by the knees!
Now there's one, that you can't beat,
It's called NEMESIS, and it's so sweet.
It's smooth, it's fast, it's so intense,
You even get scared from the fence!
She came long ago, but for your pleasure,
You'll scream your head off, just a measure!
If you don't fancy that, there's a garden too,
Honestly, it's not poo!
So go on down, you'll never know,
the magic there if you don't go!

Or, if you're a chav:"Its wel sik innit blad!"

Alton Towers is un-describable. The fact that a group of steel machines can influence emotions in such a way is truly magical, how the place can make you laugh, cry, smile or just be lost for words. For me the only thing similar to walking down towers street is the moment at a foot ball match where you walk out so you can see the grass and hear the chants, the emotion, atmosphere and sheer scene of happiness it what makes it a truly unbelievable experience that will live with you forever.

It's nice but it's a bit old

But it just needs money investing into the park :)

I would say,
"Don't waste your time when you can go to European parks (that are actually good) for similar money."

DiogoJ42 said:
I would say,
"Don't waste your time when you can go to European parks (that are actually good) for similar money."

There is no way of getting to any of the 4 or 5 big European parks for the same price as a day at Alton Towers. If you can get to EP and spend a day there for less than £80 I will buy you a drink (and that would be comparable if you pay full price to get in to AT which barely anyone does).

Sorry for sending this topic off post. Hopefully someone from Towers will see that video, and try to create there own. I can not think of any Towers published videos like that, which try to sell the park.

Alton Towers is the best we have in Britain, but like all the Merlin parks and others, it is hard to justify spending more than 1 day on park. There could be a case made for staying over at the parks down south to visit CWOA or Legoland or Thrope.

Disneyland, Europa Park, Port Aventura are all parks that require more than 1 day to visit, and get the most out of. They are parks that are better than UK parks, and when comparing Towers to Disneyland, or Europa Park(its not really fair to compare Europa Park to any other park, as its a show room and development/concent ride test location, so more TLC will be given, however, when recommending people which park to go to, Europa Park is easily the first place I recommend anyone, so needs to be included, whether it is fair or not), is it a distant third.

Disneyland is certainly easier to get to for certain people in the UK than it is to Towers. For starters, if you live in London, you can jump on a train and get off the train at Disneyland Paris. Getting the train to Alton Towers, involves numerous changes, and waiting on a un-reliable bus service in this members opinion.

Europa Park is a little more tricky, and for most people will require a flight, and transfers from the airport to the park. I think Dave's challenge of getting to Europa Park for £80 might be do able with a car of 5 people, but getting home might be a little tricky :p

When trying to explain to people about Towers, it is difficult currently, when a lot of the magic, which you can use to explain things is gone but I will have a go below.

Alton Towers is a Theme Park, where the rides transfer you to a different place. You forget the ride you are on, and are amazed by the journey you go on. The rides can make you smile, laugh, or scream, but you will have memories to share with friends and family for a lifetime.

That sounds a bit chessey at the end, but its what Alton Towers should be doing. Looking at the recent attractions, I think they have not done a bad attempt, however, parts of the park are starting to lose that magic, and simple maintenance, and TLC could do a lot to fix this. Look how much better Oblivion looks now it has been repainted, but then it lets you down with the actual trains still looking tacky.

That being said, there is still a lot of happy memories to be made at Towers for people who are not as enthusiastic as us, who expect everything to be of a unreachable standard :)

Ian

IanB said:
Alton Towers is the best we have in Britain, but like all the Merlin parks and others, it is hard to justify spending more than 1 day on park. There could be a case made for staying over at the parks down south to visit CWOA or Legoland or Thrope.

Ian - I disagree entirely on this bit. I could easily spend a day happily walking around the gardens and the towers ruins, and a day on the rides, half a day in the spa, half a day in the waterpark, and the mini golf. You could easily spend 3 days there doing something different on each day (gardens, towers, next day rides, next day am in waterpark, pm mini golf and a visit to the spa)

I agree Gary, in that sense you could easily spend 3 or 4 days, but if you took that approach at Europa Park or Disneyland Paris, you could easily spend 7 or 8 days. I think it would be impossible, to do all the rides at Europa or Disney in a day compared to at Towers.

The water park is one of the few things that Europa or Disney do not have, but it has not changed since it was built, and on busy days it can be "frustrating" having to queue half an hour for the slides. My biggest problem with the water park, is that it is not open for very long outside of the park opening hours, meaning guests have to make a choice between a full day on park, or using the water park.

Crazy Golf is in a shocking state, compared to when it was first built. Don't get me wrong, its a great addition, but it supports my feelings that Merlin do not spend enough money looking after there investments. Its like buying a Ferrari, and leaving it out in the rain to rust.

The gardens, as lovely as there are, have less people looking after them then the entertainment team, and when you compare that to the 40 gardeners Europa Park has, you are amazed at how good the gardens are, and wonder what potential they could have if more staff were made available.

The problem with Alton Towers Hotel, is that I would recommend people to have a look at them, but its a 10/15 minute job to have a look. At Europa Park, or Disney, you could spend half a day just wondering around the hotels.

I am not bashing Towers, like I said, in a sense its unfair to compare it to Europa, but its only a matter of time before Europa becomes as accessible as Disney, and I can only hope that the extra international competition will increase the effort all UK parks put in to their operations.

Why none of the Merlin attractions have foreign language options available for there park sites, I do not know, when you look at Europa Parks site, which can be viewed in 5 different languages now.

Its always difficult, but once you have been to Disney, and Europa, it makes the failings of other parks stand out more. That's not to say that Disney and Europa do not have there failings as well.

So, yes, Alton Towers could easily be a 2 or 3 day park, but if someone said they wanted to take there family away for 2-3 days to a Theme Park, Alton would not be somewhere I recommend, and I would recommend Disney or Europa and staying for 3-4 days.

Ian