• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

FAILED ROLLERCOASTERS?

RubyGaga

TS Member
Hey TS forum lurkers!
I was reading through certain threads about test dummies and test runs, and I came across a thought - 'Have there been any attractions that have failed the testing process?'
What I mean is, do you know if there has been any rides, that has had lots of time and effort going into planning and building, and then when it comes to actually test it, something goes wrong and makes it un-ridable?
Oh lordy imagine the uproar this would cause if it happened to the smiler :eek:

Ring Racer.

Originally, it was planned to launch to 135 MPH, and break before the turnaround, but that was eventually reduced to 99 MPH. The planned opening in August 2009 flew by, and in September 2009, the pneumatic system in the launch exploded. Even after that was sorted out, there were two other problems with the launch system, that have forced it to not be opened.

They say it will open this year, but I doubt it.

I can't be bothered going into too much detail for the umpteenth time (Google it) but the Orphan Rocker.

Under construction since 1988, and hasn't been completed to this day. Apparently it once tested with dummies and they came back headless.

hvreo1i843kt000ihhvef6.jpg

ddti40t70004kcfrjpjm0c.jpg

1r28ovn7j7c0p4u1qe0009.jpg

Edit: Bugger, Blaze beat me to it.

Also, Vertigorama.

Built in 1983, never opened.

51q03543usuctk13085s80.jpg

lmtef6eq54og2u5001ii1v.jpg

f61a9i05sa003553usuctk.jpg

A shame, it kinda looks fun. A bit like a great big steel Grand National, but rusting and decrepit. Oh wait...

There's also the Flying Turns at Knoebels, which of all the rides posted so far is the only one with a realistic chance of actually opening at some point in the not-too-distant future. Construction started in 2006, but various problems (mainly with the trains) repeatedly delayed opening

That's what I said. The most recent update Screamscape has comes from last August, when it was claimed they were going to start testing again 'soon'.

I'm still hopeful it'll be open by the time I visit this Summer, but I'm not expecting it to be :D

I hate Knoebels, they already have two world class woodies, and now they're getting a third (if it's actually finished). There are none in England. :(

Anyway, I hope it's open for you- otherwise another trip would be costly. It really is a one in a kind coaster and looks really very thrilling and stunningly beautiful and cute and I could go on and on. When I've got the money, I will ride it. Some day I'll ride it.

knobel's attitude to Flying Turns seems to be "It'll open when it's ready". I have a feeling they could have opened it several years back but they want it to be perfect before they do.

So I wouldn't exactly class it as a failure but it probably deserves a mention.

Duinrell built at Batflyer, that never opened, then got removed a month or so later.

Also, Vertigo at Walibi Belgium kind of suits this thread.

I can't remember what it's called, but there's an Intamin half-pipe coaster on top of a sky scraper in Japan that never opened.

You could probably include the obscene heartline roll that had to be removed from Maverick also.

Thirteen trololololol

Blaze said:
I can't remember what it's called, but there's an Intamin half-pipe coaster on top of a sky scraper in Japan that never opened.

This is it, Blaze:

aqp1kro00d341dt027gtlf.jpg

The coaster is just called Half Pipe at a place called "Don Quijote" In Tokyo

Nick said:
I hate Knoebels, they already have two world class woodies, and now they're getting a third (if it's actually finished). There are none in England. :(

Flying Turns, even when it's finished, doesn't look like it's going to be 'world class'. It'll be fun, but hardly much better than your average Mack bobsleigh...? Megafobia looks far better than anything at Knoebels!

Anyway, back to failed coasters, what about this one?

51n038q3usuctkit3h6bg0.jpg

£20 million, and a year after opening they have even admitted in planning applications that it failed to bring in the guests! And they're already having to modify it and add gimmicks to it, what a failure. ;)

Sam said:
Flying Turns, even when it's finished, doesn't look like it's going to be 'world class'. It'll be fun, but hardly much better than your average Mack bobsleigh...? Megafobia looks far better than anything at Knoebels!

Firstly, to get it out of my system, Megafobia is not in England.

Secondly, I really can't understand your crude and sarcastic joke.

Sam said:
Pheonix was 5th in this year's Mitch Hawker poll, and of the 41 people who had ridden both only 6 preferred Megafobia.

I'm not expecting much from Flying Turns either, though I think that it could avoid the vibration found on Mack bobsleds as it will run on a smooth surface rather than a series of tubes.

I believe the problem they had was that the wheels of the cars were tearing into the wooden surface because they were too heavy. Given that the cars looked pretty lightweight as they were, I'm not sure how'd they'd fix it without some kind of track-hardening process.

John said:
Sam said:
Pheonix was 5th in this year's Mitch Hawker poll, and of the 41 people who had ridden both only 6 preferred Megafobia.

Phoenix seems like the most bizarrely overrated coaster in history. I don't see what's so earth-shattering about it? It just looks like a pretty good Figure-of-Eight old woodie. Hell, maybe the best ever Figure-of-Eight old woodie. But the sixth best woodie in the world... really? Blatant fanboyism tbh.

John said:
as it will run on a smooth surface rather than a series of tubes.

You mean like the internet...?

Sam said:
John said:
Sam said:

Phoenix seems like the most bizarrely overrated coaster in history. I don't see what's so earth-shattering about it? It just looks like a pretty good Figure-of-Eight old woodie. Hell, maybe the best ever Figure-of-Eight old woodie. But the sixth best woodie in the world... really? Blatant fanboyism tbh.

But have you ridden it?

I know a lot of people that say The Ultimate's popularity is blatant fanboyism as well. But having ridden it you know why you like it. Sometimes a coaster doesn't have to appear to be mind blowing for it to be so. Just like watching a great film in snippets can make it seem awful but then properly watching it you enjoy all the fine detail.

Well, no I haven't, so I accept that this is just based on photos and videos. But I honestly can't understand what can be that good about it, from watching videos. It simply looks like a really good Figure-of-Eight woodie. I'm willing to accept that there might be something I'm missing, but I'm also suspicious that its absurdly high ranking might be due to people's sentimentality and gratitude towards Knoebels for saving the ride in 1985. :)