• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Favourite words

Two words rather than one - Occidental Oriental, the words written in the sign on the framework of Vortex at Thorpe Park. Occidental is just a cool word. Don’t really give a stuff about its meaning. 😆

Two words rather than one - Occidental Oriental, the words written in the sign on the framework of Vortex at Thorpe Park. Occidental is just a cool word. Don’t really give a stuff about its meaning. 😆
Well it's literally Western Eastern which makes sense with the ride's theme. Interestingly we get the word orientation and its derivatives from orient.

In terms of my favourite words, I love German words that are absurdly long because they squash multiple words together
Wasserflascher (Water bottle - fun to say)
Naturwissenshaften (Science)
Geschwindegkeitsbegrenzung (Speed Limit - not something they have many of)

Last edited:
Well it's literally Western Eastern which makes sense with the ride's theme. Interestingly we get the word orientation and its derivatives from orient.

In terms of my favourite words, I love German words that are absurdly long because they squash multiple words together
Wasserflascher (Water bottle - fun to say)
Naturwissenshaften (Science)
Geschwindegkeitsbegrenzung (Speed Limit - not something they have many of)
Probably because it takes so long to say!

Did some German motorways last year, a bit frightening at first but you get used to it! Oddly enough they seemed much better organized than British motorways despite the lack of speed limit!

I today learnt that the Dutch for microwave is “magnetron”. I think we can all agree this sounds far superior to the English equivalent.

Gonna get all Nigella about it and call it the Magnetroné hence forth.

The word for thank you, which is 谢谢 (Xièxiè), is glorious to say. I just learned the word while looking at some POV's from Shanghai Disneyland today.

Another word that I like is Syzygy. It just popped into my head now, for some reason.

There was a good word they taught us in Russian class - dostoprimechatel'nosti (достопримечательности) - meaning the tourist sights.

There are longer ones, but this is the longest one you might actually use, well until Putin went nuts anyway...