• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Favourite words

Scurryfunge

A hasty tidying of the house between the time you see the neighbour coming and the time they knock on the door.
Well, that's certainly a new word I've learnt today! Another favourite word is meldrop. It sounds a lot nicer than what is describes...

Sorry for the double post.
This is technically cheating because it is two words but 'Verbal diarrhoea' is a favourite phrase of mine.

Jank

Wow, that was in common usage around my way in the early 90's, I'd forgotten it entirely. Pretty sure I've not heard anyone say it for a quater of a century!

Shonky

Something (I.E. an object or product) deemed to be of poor or questionable quality.

“The lift hill on Th13teen is proper shonky.”
If we're talking about Towers, perhaps The Smiler could be a better example, but I'm just being pedantic, and 'shonky' is a great word!

This is the thread for me! I have a list in my notes app, and here's where I'm up to at the minute:
Vehicular (fave ever)
Arbitrarily
Swathes
Almanac
Amalgamation
Ravenous
Cathartic
Circumvent
Corroborate
Hitherto
Haberdashery
Cacophony
Taramasalata
Unbeknownst (I once used this in a sixth form essay and my teacher tried to make me take it out by leaving a comment saying 'no one has used this since the 17th century' and I responded 'well I'm bringing it back!' and he let me keep it haha)

My friends know about the list and it's fun when a good word comes up and we say oooo add it to the list

This is the thread for me! I have a list in my notes app, and here's where I'm up to at the minute:
Vehicular (fave ever)
Arbitrarily
Swathes
Almanac
Amalgamation
Ravenous
Cathartic
Circumvent
Corroborate
Hitherto
Haberdashery
Cacophony
Taramasalata
Unbeknownst (I once used this in a sixth form essay and my teacher tried to make me take it out by leaving a comment saying 'no one has used this since the 17th century' and I responded 'well I'm bringing it back!' and he let me keep it haha)

My friends know about the list and it's fun when a good word comes up and we say oooo add it to the list
Great list! I am not sure what grudge your sixth-form teacher had against the word 'unbeknownst'. Reminded me of my Year 7 English teacher trying to make me take out the word 'egregious' from a story that I wrote in class on the same basis.

Non favourite word...and one I keep forgetting...
Sarcopenia...muscle wastage through lack of use in old age.
Use it or lose it with a vengeance.

Another good word is abattoir, even if the stuff that goes on inside one is rather disgusting.

I didn't specify that favourite words had to be in English.
This is my top 10 favourite words, from all languages.
1: Saukerl (German: meaning b*stard)
2: Abattoir
3: Sacapuntas (Spanish: meaning pencil sharpener)
4: Kanzenseiha (完全制覇) (Japanese: meaning complete domination)
5: Sequoia
6: Egregious
7: Ethereal
8: Trousse (French: meaning pencil case)
9: Propinquity
10: Aurora