• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Feeling sick

Jamesd49

TS Member
Hey.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, so feel free to delete/move.

I'm off to Alton Towers on Saturday for a day in the park.

The last few times I have been to theme parks and been on the biggest rides like Nemesis/Rita. I end up feeling quite sick after. I don't think it's the nerves of the ride as I'm pretty good with rides and I do 99% of the roller coasters, so I think its more motion sickness then anything else.

I remember the last time I went to Alton towers at the end of season last year, I went on I think Rita as my second ride and it really upset my stomach for the day, as it just made me feel ill, I wasn't sick or anything like that, it was just the feeling of being sick, even if I drank water and ate, I had that feeling all day, which as you can imagine, puts a downer on the day and enjoying the rest of the rides.

Any tips? I read stuff like eating crackers before you go/while your there to keep your stomach settled is a good thing and just drinking water.

Thanks

To reduce nausea, peppermint oil is good as it will settle your stomach and also reduce acid.

Look it up!

:)

I'd say if you know certain rides make you feel sick, just don't ride them.

Of course, if you find that all rides make you feel ill, you're a bit stuffed. Sadly this hobby's not for everyone, just like I am not suited to athletics.

I had a similar feeling at Thorpe. Remember to remain hydrated, stay and sit down in the shade and ride calmer rides like swarm for me :)

Thanks guys, from experience it was the rides that chuck you around a lot so like nemesis, but then I love the ride.

Anybody tried motion sickness tablets?
As my dad said last year, man up.

There are a few rides that I've had to avoid over the years. Mainly spinny ones like Enterprise at Alton. I've just had to avoid them even though I wanted to do them as part of my day. I admit though, avoiding the coasters would have been an eternal bummer. Try what Astro said though for the coasters and anything else that is advised :)

Enterprise is the only ride that I feel unwell after riding at Towers, so I avoid it now even though I quite like the ride itself. Spinning rides make me feel worse than flipping ones.

The main reason people feel sick on a ride is because they cannot see the track ahead and as such, the brain cannot process which direction your body will be thrown in next. Same principle in a car if you are sat in the rear. And there is the big clue...... queue for the front row on Rita and Nemesis. Riding the front means your brain can process which direction the track will go in next and your body will be ready for it. Doesnt matter so much on Galactica but thats my top tip for you.

Motion sickness tablets you would need to take 2 hours before your first ride and they will probably make you very drowsy. I took some "Sturgeon" during an ear infection which caused giddy feelings and to be honest, they just made me want to sleep all the time.

Edit : As for eating and drinking. Eat a sensible breakfast and give it time to go down. Yes, stay hydrated but not too much, i.e dont drink excessive amounts of water as this can make you feel bad. Believe it or not, sugary drinks such as Coke sipped throughout the day may actually be more beneficial as your body will burn up body sugar quickly from all the walking around and Adrenalin.

Good point about being able to see where you are heading. This is why I always advise peope who "don't like rides" against closing their eyes. They ignore me, of course, then wonder why they feel ill afterwards.

The only time I have ever felt sick is when I was at Thorpe and had a supersized BK meal then went on Rush - Wasn't sick though :D

As an ex cruise ship entertainer, I can recommend any of the following remedies (or a combination of).

1.(As mentioned in an above post peppermint oil) I take with me extra strong mints, make sure they contain peppermints, Tesco do their own brand pack of 4 for around a £. These work very well. I suck one before and after a ride, be careful if sucking on one during a ride due to choking risk. You could also try peppermint tea

2. Ginger

3. Flat Coca-Cola

4. Travel sickness tablets, beware that these work by making you drowsy, not great if you are driving and will make you feel very sleepy

5. Travel sickness wrist bands (sea bands https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sour...&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=sea+bands+boots&tbm=shop&*), these work by putting a pressure point on your wrist.

Number 1 above is what I use and works very well for me :)

I tend to agree with whats been said already. I also can't stand "spinning" rides, a-la teacups, enterprise etc, yet am fine with most coasters. Though the smiler I'm on the fence about, I often feel a little uncomfortable after riding, especially if its the last ride before the car journey home. The thing has two many inversions, end of!

But yeah, its all about knowing whats ahead. Once you're nerdy enough that you know the layouts like the back of your hand, that always helps.

;)

I've only been ill once at Alton. Back in (*ahem*) 1983 on the Pirate Ship (now Blade). No Queues - so the operator let us stay on between runs. I think we were on go 20 something when the kid at the end of my row threw up mid ride - that set me off! Now I'm in my later years - can't even ride Blade once without feeling extremely icky.

Enterprise is the only one that's ever made me sick. Dont really like the motion of moving upside down whilst remaining stationary.

Ruined me