• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Filming at Alton Towers

JackAT

TS Member
I want to find out whether you guys have managed to film anything at Alton Towrrs and your experiences with Filming. Also what type of gear your using.etc - Please Collaborate !! :twirly: :twirly: :twirly:

I usually film vlogs when I go to Alton Towers or other theme parks, and in fact I filmed one on Sunday when I went for FHT! I got quite a lot of filming done (final edit was 20 minutes), and I got a couple of coaster shots and angles too! If you'd like the URL, PM me. :)

Towers are fine with people filming just not on the rides with exception of The Flume and Congo Rapids so as long as you don't try filming on any other rides your be fine also be careful filming staff members as some don't like to be on film and can ask you to delete any footage you filmed off them .

jamie.rivettcarnac said:
Towers are fine with people filming just not on the rides with exception of The Flume and Congo Rapids so as long as you don't try filming on any other rides your be fine also be careful filming staff members as some don't like to be on film and can ask you to delete any footage you filmed off them

So you're allowed to film on flume and rapids? Never knew that, thanks!

Parks get a bit funny with Tripods too so be careful with them, generally because of H&S/Trip hazards.

HaydenCR said:
delta79 said:
just make sure you got a waterproof camera ;)

I don't know what the fuss is with waterproof cameras. Normal cameras are absolutely fine.

I suppose... I'll just hide it under my water-proof coat at the KFC mega-wave!

jamie.rivettcarnac said:
Towers are fine with people filming just not on the rides with exception of The Flume and Congo Rapids so as long as you don't try filming on any other rides your be fine also be careful filming staff members as some don't like to be on film and can ask you to delete any footage you filmed off them .

Not strictly true Jamie. As a operator you are advised to tell guests not to use any recording equipment on any of the rides for health and safety and also copy right infringement. It also spoils the experience for a day guest recording on rides.

I don't even get why people feel the need to record rides. If you want to see the ride on video then just watch one of the numerous POV's on Youtube which will look identical to yours if not better quality. Otherwise just enjoy the experience of the ride whilst you're on it!

Alastair said:
I don't even get why people feel the need to record rides. If you want to see the ride on video then just watch one of the numerous POV's on Youtube which will look identical to yours if not better quality. Otherwise just enjoy the experience of the ride whilst you're on it!

It's like person who go to gigs and spend the whole gig with their phone camera in the air filming the back of someones head and someone else waving their arms around. OK take a few photos or maybe film one song, but don't film the whole lot!

I myself have never seen the need to do a POV, most you find on Youtube are crap because its hidden in a coat or wobbles around. Most parks will release proper POV, or companies/sites will pay to film them.

Alastair said:

Spot on, as for the comment about the Flume, filming is not allowed on there either.

Filming on something like the Flume is a lot more understandable as you can record your friends a lot better than you can on a coaster. I don't really understand people filming poor-quality POVs on Oblivion or Nemesis, but it makes a lot more sense on RMT say, or the water rides. :)

Sam said:
Filming on something like the Flume is a lot more understandable as you can record your friends a lot better than you can on a coaster. I don't really understand people filming poor-quality POVs on Oblivion or Nemesis, but it makes a lot more sense on RMT say, or the water rides. :)

I know what you're saying and agree, we used to be told to make sure nobody used their cameras on RMT and the Flume though.

Anyone who gets caught filming on any ride should be kicked out of the park. And preferably shot.
There is just no excuse for it. Even if people don't care about the potential injuries they could cause to someone, you'd think they would care about their precious iPhone getting smashed.

DiogoJ42 said:
Anyone who gets caught filming on any ride should be kicked out of the park. And preferably shot.
There is just no excuse for it. Even if people don't care about the potential injuries they could cause to someone, you'd think they would care about their precious iPhone getting smashed.

Being a Iphone user at Alton it will already be smashed. My experience anyway.

DiogoJ42 said:

To be fair, if the parks simply filmed their own coasters, in a similar fashion to say Cedar Point, people wouldn't be trying to film on their own accord all the time. Cedar Point's POVS are of far superior quality to most amateur attempts, period. However look, at the official ride povs, we have in this country? The Swarm POV is outdated and as we all know; The Smiler one is just downright crap. POV's are a massive marketing tool, and parks should invest the £600 or so it costs to actually make great quality POV's for marketing.

But there ARE god quality, mounted POVs already on YouTube.

I think it's just like everything else on YT. Take gaming videos for example, there are well-established people like RadBrad and PewDiePie (although he's gone a bit down the pan) who create good quality videos yet you will still find 100s of others creating very bad, amateur videos.

The only difference between POVs and gaming videos is that POVs are a health and safety risk. It's stupidity at its finest.

People seem to do it for their own pleasure rather than providing a service. It's so then they can show their mates the rides they went on. You get the odd teenager that does it to try and provide a new theme part YT page, although it's just like the gaming example, there are loads of theme park YT pages providing good quality decent videos.