• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Fireworks 2014

James

TS Founding Member
It's nearing that time of the year again. Since we're just under a month away from the 2014 fireworks display there has not been much news on the event. Although there's some interesting info from The Burton Mail, published today:

Burton Mail said:
Alton Towers gears up for fireworks show

ALTON Towers has promised to take guests through a fantasy dream and nightmare land during its annual fireworks display later this year.

The Alton Towers Resort's Fireworks Spectacular, which runs from November 7 to 9, is set to be even bigger than before with a new water projection screen, bringing a whole new element to the festivities.

Taking guests 'through a story of the battle between dreams and nightmares' through the thrills and fear of Alton Towers Resort's most famous and iconic rides, the fireworks spectacular will feature music, lasers and flames that will light up the night sky.

Along with the world-class fireworks display, guests will also have the opportunity to ride the attractions in the dark, adding a whole different dimension to the experience of attractions like the Smiler, Nemesis and Oblivion.

Source

Glad that the story theme will continue this year (pretty much guaranteed after the popularity of the event last year). A water projection screen sounds amazing, feels like I'm back in the 90s at Towers! I really hope more pyrotechnics haven't been sacrificed for water projections though.

Last year was fantastic. Watching the show at the foot of Towers Street with people from TST was great, and the show was easily the best out of the three I've seen. (The show on the Sunday was made a little bit more emotional for me, because after the display ended, the TSTers I was gathered with started singing 'Happy Birthday' to me! It was my 21st birthday, and this just put the icing on the cake. It was completely unexpected, too. Anyway, that's beside the point. :p) I'm glad to see that they're continuing the story theme this year, rather than just setting random fireworks off to the latest top 10 singles or whatever. Only four weeks to go until we find out what it's really going to be like.

Wow that sounds promising. I assume they've actually been given an increased budget for fireworks this year? Either that or they are spending less on the actual fireworks themselves. At least it sounds like something to look forward to at the end of the season.

:)

I remember the Air themed fireworks had a water projection screen but it wasn't one of Alton Towers best displays. Hopefully they can take the best of the pop music displays of the last few years and add some storyline without sacrificing too much of the pyrotechnics.

I imagine it's planned so far in advance it would be hard for budget cuts to happen, as I bet the fireworks are pre-paid for or something, as they won't be cheap!

I'm glad the story theme is happening again, I loved it last year and it was so much better than the pop megamix from other years. I guess it may link in to the new lodges, as they are all about fantasy.

Last year was my first but it was genuinely an incredible show. Rumour was that they actually used less lasers and fireworks than previous years (so saved money) but because they were spaced out and given a story you would never have known.

Projection screen sounds awesome though!

They had a near perfect blend last year, yes it wasn't perfect, there were some dips in the flow but as my first experience of Towers fireworks overall I thought it was awe inspiring. It's not easy to blend an evocative story and keep it credible with such a varied use of contemporary music but it worked amazingly well.

I would much rather have less fireworks and a proper story and music, rather than 15 minutes of constant fireworks, as they do all look the same after a while. At least last year with the story there was gaps in between and different types of fireworks for each ride section.

I would much rather have less fireworks and a proper story and music, rather than 15 minutes of constant fireworks, as they do all look the same after a while. At least last year with the story there was gaps in between and different types of fireworks for each ride section.

Watch the last minute of this, and then tell me you'd rather have less fireworks!

Something like the pace of last years fireworks is good.

I worry we could end up with something like Electric Towers... bugger all fireworks!

MOTHER OF WARDLEY!

Was I the only one humming ITHOTMK to that trying to imagine it with the Towers in the background lol?

MOTHER OF WARDLEY!

Was I the only one humming ITHOTMK to that trying to imagine it with the Towers in the background lol?

How I'd love to hear the noise at 17:37, of three 12 inch shells launching simultaneously. Followed by 4 ridiculous titanium salutes. The Ropers would love it. ;)

I've been told that some videos are being produced involving CGI firework characters battling each other. So I assume this is for the projections.

^ Sounds about right! I'm getting Tussauds VIBES with a wizard casting spells on a water projection screen. <3

This will not be a surprise to anyone, Jubilee Fireworks will again be designing the fireworks for Alton Towers.

Really looking forward to this years display. So far it's setting up to be the best fireworks display we've seen from Towers.

Last year was epic at times. If they even match that I will be impressed, it surpassed my expectations. Ultimately it's what I would say is commensurate with what Towers as an iconic venue deserves.

If they improve on that, there will no doubt be a few teary emotional eyes.

I really don't understand why marketing seem to be able and are allowed to control every element of the resort - right down to the stupidest things.

Glad they've budged on this though and let the battle idea finally take form! :)

I really don't understand why marketing seem to be able and are allowed to control every element of the resort - right down to the stupidest things.

Glad they've budged on this though and let the battle idea finally take form! :)

Who are you. Seriously. You fascinate me lol!

It wouldn't be marketing, as surely something good would be great to market and therefore bring people in?

Look at finance department ;)