• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Fireworks 2016

Just for comparison, Drayton Manor were closing rides at 4:30 last Saturday, even though the fireworks were starting at 7. They also reached capacity at one point in the day, and queues for food were easily 3 minutes plus approaching the fireworks. The worse thing is that they didn't manage to clear the queues in time, meaning people were on rides or queuing during the fireworks.

What are queues like after the fireworks? Looking forward to smiler in the dark as I haven't done it yet (think it had a power cut at scarefest and I had to leave the queue)

I just hope AT and Merlin don't give us any sob stories!!! How can they make more money if at capacity? Surely it is to have another night?? (remember extra hotel guests etc) and have food outlets open!! Or has Rosie got another idea? Perhaps I need to email Merlin HQ give feedback

I just hope AT and Merlin don't give us any sob stories!!! How can they make more money if at capacity? Surely it is to have another night?? (remember extra hotel guests etc) and have food outlets open!! Or has Rosie got another idea? Perhaps I need to email Merlin HQ give feedback

Thank you Martin. May I remind @themeparkfan of our member expectations.

Member Expectations said:
Respect other members
Please treat others how you wish to be treated. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and although things can get heated, avoid getting into direct arguments with others and ensure you contribute in a mature and sensible manner. If your behaviour is brought to the team’s attention, we might need to contact you to discuss further and/or edit or remove the problem posts. Repeat offenders may risk changes being made to their posting rights – and we wouldn’t want to do that!

It's A Perfect storm of Merlin's failings really isn't it and it's a sure fire way to alienate 25k potential visitors for next year.
  1. It's at capacity for 2 reasons. No Fireworks last night and the other 2 theme parks being closed. They've flogged loads of AP so where are the punters going to go?
  2. F&B has been neglected for years (spinball noodles??) Now when they need to have them open for sure, they are not available. It also seems they are up to their old money making tricks stopping free re-frils/refill mugs? It's like in RCT when you bump the umbrella price up when it's raining.
  3. Good 'ole TLC Thanks to under investment in suitable attractions there is now nowhere to go during the clearance of the dropzone. Sub-Terra, The Flume? Both rides that would normally absorb people during this 2 hour window (are the Rapids open?)
What a way to promote your park for next years potential customers.

Antd their excuse for this shambles? People paid to visit them. WOW

I believe they are having ride time server issues. Also all the car parks are full.

So glad i didn't go up there today. Been watching the ride times all day, at one point it showed Galactica at 150 minutes!!

Can't imagine the hell to get out of the car parks tonight!

As for capacity, it's their fault not doing it over 3 days like they normally do. This was just asking for trouble. I can't think of a time in the past when it's been done over 3 night that they have had to stop people entering the park.

I just hope the show is worth it!

2nd thoughts about going tomorrow at the moment. After keeping an eye on things today, the prospect of potentially being turned away and the hassle of parking is putting me off a little. Would have been nice to have the opportunity to pre book as a premium pass holder. Thoroughly enjoyed the friday night show last year, really hope this makes a return.

Closing on Friday was a daft decision, and they only have themselves to blame for the food situation, but I have limited sympathy for people turning up just for the fireworks getting turned away. This has almost always been the busiest day of the year going back as far as I can remember and the park often risks reaching full capacity. If you are able too, always turn up as early as possible. It just avoids unnecessary disappointment.

Towers did mention prior to this that the park was expected to be extremely busy today so it can't be a surprise to anyone. I know people often say that the park should expect people to turn up and not have done their research (and they should, they'd be naive not too) but there's no excuse for poor prior planning. If people are turned away and getting disappointed, they have to accept some of the responsibility for that.

CwhU_egXEAEBaV6.jpg

Almost the same price as a BOGOF, pointless

On park at the moment at it's really picked up later on! As I type currently in the Smiler SRQ and they are predicting 1hr30 min. To make matters worse Oblivion doesn't seem to be running and got stuck on the lift hill earlier. Fireworks were quite good though! Will post review on here later. :)

I don't think they got rid of the Friday night fireworks for the fun of it. Must have been a reason, don't have a clue what though!

What do they mean by pre-booked tickets though? Is this just the people who hardly ever visit but just decided to order tickets online a few days ago to save money on the entry fee as they picked this particular fireworks show to go to?

If so, I really don't see how they should take priority over an annual pass holder who in theory pre-booked the minute they purchased their pass which entitles entry on fireworks night. By all means, start turning away everyone when they reach capacity, that includes people who bought tickets a few days ago and annual pass holders. Surely both parties should have to accept that they can not enter due to safety concerns?

I didn't even go today as I've been at work but I would be seething if I had been turned away but then see people who bought tickets online being allowed in OVER me. Pretty disgraceful customer service if what I understand is correct.

P.S - I read that above letter shared above and was fully expecting it to say 'Free Entry'. I just had to laugh to myself when they had the cheek to add a £20 charge. Crikey O'Reilly :eek:

Yeah i read it and thought oooh free entry, thats nice then the slap in the face that is no.

'I'd love it if the entire Alton Towers team would join me at my house for dinner. Please make a cheque for £20 each payable to Croftybabyenterprises"

In theory you could had been turned away you could book a ticket on the spot through the website and have been allowed in?

The park was full capacity, they had to turn some people away. There was simply no getting out of disappointing people tonight (which of course wouldn't have been the case had they been open yesterday, but hey:rolleyes:).

Obviously, it's never good having to turn people away, but they gave themselves no choice and on the whole, I'd say it was the safer option to turn away MAP holders over pre booked guests. If a family of four booked weeks in advance, I'd say it'd be a lot worse to turn them away over a MAP holder who may have decided to turn up short notice.

Still, all could have been avoided somewhat with a Friday opening.

I'd say it was the safer option to turn away MAP holders over pre booked guests. If a family of four booked weeks in advance, I'd say it'd be a lot worse to turn them away over a MAP holder who may have decided to turn up short notice.

Tell that to a family who had a Family Annual Pass and their kids had been looking forward to the night for the last month and got refused entry. Then a couple of 20 somethings turn up as part of a boozy afternoon/evening and just rock on in because they bought their reduced price entry tickets on-line a few days ago. If you're OK with that then I would question your thought process. If not, surely the best thing would have been to allow anyone in until capacity was reached, then turn away EVERYONE. Only people I can think of who should be excluded from that would be people who were already staying in the hotels. I wonder what the Daily Mail will have to say about all this ay?