• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Fireworks 2022

As I mentioned in the post above, I was there for the Saturday and Sunday displays; the Sunday one was much better - all drone lights working, smoke dispersed more quickly and the timing was better (the countdown of the drones to the start of the display overlapped on Saturday but was perfectly timed Sunday).

I can only echo what others have said about it - was a fantastic show visually and on the whole audibly, but there were some questionable song choices in my opinion. Having said all that, I think it is well worth the increased ticket price/MAP upcharge. There is a Spotify playlist going around with most of the songs used but it's missing the drone soundtrack which is the remix of The Verve's Bitter Sweet Symphony and The Police's Message In A Bottle - that's available here https://on.soundcloud.com/Hm69W

There were less fireworks than last year definitely, but I think we were spoilt last year because it was the 40th celebration so to be honest I didn't expect this years to top it. I guess the drones, increased screens, lighting and lasers made up for it. I wouldn't be surprised if there were just as many fireworks this year as previous years (last year and 2018 excluded), it's just that we're comparing it to an extraordinary display last year.

The highlights of the show for me was seeing Dr Kelman and at long last the face of the voice of WickerMan!

Here's my video of Sunday's show in it's entirety including the Phalanx message:

The highlight of the preshow though, has to be this dancer. Fair play to the tech team who put the spotlight on him!

First post 👋🏽I saw those chicken costume people loads yesterday and they were always having a blast!

I am probably in the minority but I loved the 2019 show more than last years but I loved 2021 and 2022 too. Sunday was better than Saturday though I agree.

I have never seen a drone show in real life and I thought it was great and there were lots of ooos and arrrs around me. I hope they do it again next year.

I like the drones as an extra aspect. I love fireworks but like a mixed show.

Did crack me up when they declared it'd be the best audio and effects show this year though. No. Nice try though.

I like the drones as an extra aspect. I love fireworks but like a mixed show.

Did crack me up when they declared it'd be the best audio and effects show this year though. No. Nice try though.
Wasn't on the Friday though was it when the screens weren't synced - did that get better?

Drones were good but bit generic

If they do similar next year I'd like to see them more actual Alton Towers related things such as Ride Logos.

Expect next year's fireworks will be more Phalanx themed.

Drones were a novelty that I hope don't return. Bizarre, random shapes that were mostly unrelated to the Towers theme. Had to laugh when there was a collective "woooaaahh" as an arbitrary rotating cube appeared in the sky.

Next year divert that budget back into fireworks, as they were really lacking this year. Lots of sparse sections, and the finale was relatively weak. Lasers & lights were absolutely top notch though as always, very cohesive.

It wasn't one of the best Alton Towers fireworks shows but equally was not one of the worst. I really enjoyed the drone pre-show, thought it was a nice addition. And this was possibly the best lighting package that we have had for a show, I particularly liked the lights in The Smiler section.

The fireworks themselves were lacking, whether that is due to money being re-directed for drones I am not sure. Still, it is always a great way to see out the season!

Overall I enjoyed it but felt the last fireworks I attended in 2019 was probably better with the actual fireworks.

As mentioned above if drones are used again I'd like more than just generic shapes with just a few bits actually related to Alton Towers.

Finally alongside the musical choices it would've been nice to use the actual ride soundtracks as well for parts of the display.

There’s definitely been a significant increase in fireworks pricing. I expect that a combination of that and some of the budget being redirected to drones may be the cause of some of the less than stellar fireworks sections.

For me, the cuts were most obvious at the finale. Nearly every finale section to ITHOMK have consisted non-stop shells from the point the music key change. This year there were still low level fireworks for some time after. They also veered away from the gold brocade to a less impressive green/red combo. Underwhelming might be a little too much, but relative to previous years, that final section was the least impressive I’ve seen in a long time, if ever.

The finales usually alternate each year between white/gold and coloured, but you're right, it was not as impressive as it has been in the past. Of course if the budget for fireworks remained the same and prices have increased, then you are going to have less fireworks.