• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Fireworks 2022

Yeah yesterday was good crowd level wise by 1pm I was on 13 rides but I did get there at 9:20am and the smiler opened early.

Obviously I didn't keep count of how many rides I managed but I did a lot and had a very good last few rides on our 1994 John Wardley classic and got a decent amount of dark rides in.

Watched a video of the show last night. Thought visually it as very good, loved the smoke pouring out of the towers which enhanced the lasers and lighting.

Thought the reuse of some of the music from past years was very good but I did think the amount of fireworks was lesser this year which segments of either nothing or a small display over the lake.

Watched a video of the show last night. Thought visually it as very good, loved the smoke pouring out of the towers which enhanced the lasers and lighting.

Thought the reuse of some of the music from past years was very good but I did think the amount of fireworks was lesser this year which segments of either nothing or a small display over the lake.
It was my first Alton towers fireworks and was very impressed, the drones were amazing, Lazer and lighting package too, music and sound system was brilliant, was expecting just a tiny bit more fireworks but still by far the best display I've ever been to.

I am missing them again this year. My wife immune system is too low to risk myself or steph picking something up and taking it home to her.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Drones were a great feature for this year though I prefer the previous year display and didn't we have a celebration for the coasters back for the 2013 display?

With potential the HH and Sub Terra back next year, it would be nice if they did a firework display for the unsung heroes of the park which being the dark rides. Imagine a display for Hex and HH or maybe bring in Toyland Tours to look back on the past. Then again they haven't got much to choose from compared to the coasters.

Having done all fireworks at Alton Towers from 1998 to 2019

2020 cancelled
2021 - wasn't paying £20 each for annual pass holders as an extra charge.

Didn't go this year as my baby daughter being very young.

Got to say just watched it online and thought it started very slowly but damn from the Prodigy (voodoo people) onwards that was an absolute smash of a display. I would even say it would be in my top 3 displays. Really gutted couldn't go. Once my daughter is old enough she'll be going every year just like I did.

The Never Enough song from Greatest Showman was tingly even by watching it. Only one display has proper got me emotional and that was Disney Wishes in Florida. (Even had wishes as my first dance when I married my wife)

In short ..... started slow but turned into an absolute belter of a display after 5 mins in and I wasn't even there.

Props to Alton Towers and Jubilee Fireworks (if it was them that did it this year)

I really enjoyed the show but it wasn't quite my favourite. Seeing the Thirteen girl again (and slightly updated) was pretty cool; made me remember how much I loved it when it opened.

That being said they've absolutely rinsed the coasters and Towers as a show theme now so I hope they let someone with some originality and creativity loose for next year.

It's great to see them providing BSL signing now for the display commentary too.

Loved the amount of fog/smoke left over after the show tonight. Very atmospheric!

Loved the amount of fog/smoke left over after the show tonight. Very atmospheric!
It caused havoc on the road out. Genuinely never seen fog that thick.

That aside, there were also clearly some smoke issues during tonight’s show, however it was good to see they improved with a slight change in wind direction during the second half. Obviously not too much anyone can do to avoid such things.

After watching for a second night I have to say my opinion remains. The Greatest Showman soundtrack prior to the finale is real cheese and I’m not sure the majority of the audience bought it - slightly too American I think.

Great to hear the appreciation for the drones and lasers though. They clearly impressed most people. As too did the girondalas, which are a rarely seen firework in this country.

Overall, a solid display but please focus more budget on the pyro next year to give us something more akin to 2021.

Certainly a solid middle of the pack fireworks display; not the best nor the worst. The drones at the start were fantastic. Some really nice moments, particularly with the Towers ruins and then instigating the countdown. Only one or two drones missing / not illuminated on each night, so not enough to entirely detract from the show unless you were actively seeking flaws.

The fireworks themselves were not the the greatest. The overall scope of fireworks up towards the cloud base seemed minimal compared to recent years, and there was the occasional misfire on Sunday. There were some great elements of innovation in this years' show, however.

I think Saturday was my favourite evening of the three, particularly with the atmosphere at the end of the night (this would be sensational for Scarefest). It would be nice to see more fireworks next year, on top of the great lasers and bass they had this year. Would love to see the drones return in a different format as well!

Last edited:
It caused havoc on the road out. Genuinely never seen fog that thick.

That aside, there were also clearly some smoke issues during tonight’s show, however it was good to see they improved with a slight change in wind direction during the second half. Obviously not too much anyone can do to avoid such things.

After watching for a second night I have to say my opinion remains. The Greatest Showman soundtrack prior to the finale is real cheese and I’m not sure the majority of the audience bought it - slightly too American I think.

Great to hear the appreciation for the drones and lasers though. They clearly impressed most people. As too did the girondalas, which are a rarely seen firework in this country.

Overall, a solid display but please focus more budget on the pyro next year to give us something more akin to 2021.
It wasn't just the smoke. It was a foggy evening/night all over. I was at the park all weekend and stayed in Newcastle Under Lyme Saturday night. By the time we got to the Travelodge at about 11pm, it was thick fog. One of my group drove home back to Gloucestershire and she said it was very foggy on the M6 & M5 heading south.

Made Wicker Man in the dark even better though - if that's possible!

Thick fog on still nights on Nov 5th is very common.
The smoke particles give the moisture something to hang on to, so it forms quicker and thicker.

As I mentioned in the post above, I was there for the Saturday and Sunday displays; the Sunday one was much better - all drone lights working, smoke dispersed more quickly and the timing was better (the countdown of the drones to the start of the display overlapped on Saturday but was perfectly timed Sunday).

I can only echo what others have said about it - was a fantastic show visually and on the whole audibly, but there were some questionable song choices in my opinion. Having said all that, I think it is well worth the increased ticket price/MAP upcharge. There is a Spotify playlist going around with most of the songs used but it's missing the drone soundtrack which is the remix of The Verve's Bitter Sweet Symphony and The Police's Message In A Bottle - that's available here https://on.soundcloud.com/Hm69W

There were less fireworks than last year definitely, but I think we were spoilt last year because it was the 40th celebration so to be honest I didn't expect this years to top it. I guess the drones, increased screens, lighting and lasers made up for it. I wouldn't be surprised if there were just as many fireworks this year as previous years (last year and 2018 excluded), it's just that we're comparing it to an extraordinary display last year.

The highlights of the show for me was seeing Dr Kelman and at long last the face of the voice of WickerMan!

Here's my video of Sunday's show in it's entirety including the Phalanx message:

The highlight of the preshow though, has to be this dancer. Fair play to the tech team who put the spotlight on him!

The drones perhaps cost between £20-30K - that buys a lot of fireworks - would you prefer the money spent on more fireworks next year or see the drones return?

The drones perhaps cost between £20-30K - that buys a lot of fireworks - would you prefer the money spent on more fireworks next year or see the drones return?
Me personally more fireworks, however thought the drones were absolutely fantastic way to kick it off really wowed everyone in the crowd including me and my group.

Me personally more fireworks, however thought the drones were absolutely fantastic way to kick it off really wowed everyone in the crowd including me and my group.
Personally I find fireworks a tad naff/boring (only my opinion!) but appreciate they are what people like - think drones add a lot - wonder if the drones ate into the firework budget (must have a bit) or did AT not increase the budget from previous years