• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Flamingo Land: General Discussion

Re: flamingo land

Huh, Dinosaurus is stocked at all major theme park outlets including Flamingo Land. That could just be the meet and greet with Primeval taking centre stage wherever Corkscrew's land is or merely in conjunction with the Zamperla Vertical Swing.

Pterodactyl has started to go up.

http://rideguidegroup.com/site/viewtopi ... 8832#p8832

EDIT: Ride logo.

50qvk9.jpg

Careful, Flamingo Land, looks like a bit of effort there. We don't want to out do ourselves now, do we?

As I live near Flamingo Land, I follow their developments closely and I'm quite excited about this one. I have no idea what they have in mind; a random dinosaur themed attraction? Or building a themed area around it? It seems quite interesting that they'd choose to create a whole new theme, halfway through the year for no particular reason. :-\

*prays it's not gonna be a bunch of papier-mâché dinosaurs stuck under more thatched roofing*

Harvey said:
As I live near Flamingo Land, I follow their developments closely and I'm quite excited about this one. I have no idea what they have in mind; a random dinosaur themed attraction? Or building a themed area around it? It seems quite interesting that they'd choose to create a whole new theme, halfway through the year for no particular reason. :-\

I live nearby too, I follow their developments but in a sarcastic eye-rolling kind of way :D That side of the park, near where SWOO000O0SH is, is looking like a bit of fail apart from the zoo. Let's hope next year's rumoured addition makes up for it, even though you can guarantee they'll pull their usual trick of opening it in mid summer!

I've taken a look at what Pterodactyl is meant to be (the Valhalla discussion seems to be rambling on about it) and it seems to just be a bit of a height gimmick ride rather than anything genuinely special for Flamingo Land. Of course the theming may just make the ride worth the fuss but it's probably best not to judge anything shown so far.

zamperla_verticalswing190207g.jpg

I do find it a little strange on how Flamingo Land are following suite from Paultons Park's wonderful idea of Magma, the bouncy rotating tower themed around a volcano/smoke/a raptor animatronic, and briefly Chessington's 'Dino Land'. Don't suppose this is a new trend picking up?

Have you ever been on one of those, Rowe? They make Intamin drop towers feel boring and safe! :p I know it's illogical, as the ride itself is no different to a Wave Swinger, but being at that kind of hight swinging from a chain, with no real restraint..... Well, you start thinking about who's going to take care of your pets after you've gone splat on the ground half a mile away. :eek:

Somehow I doubt this will be even half as well themed as Magma tough.

DiogoJ42 said:
Have you ever been on one of those, Rowe? They make Intamin drop towers feel boring and safe! :p I know it's illogical, as the ride itself is no different to a Wave Swinger, but being at that kind of hight swinging from a chain, with no real restraint..... Well, you start thinking about who's going to take care of your pets after you've gone splat on the ground half a mile away. :eek:

To be honest Diogo, Pterodactyl doesn't appeal to me because of the height even though I managed to get myself on Cliffhanger without the help of friends last time I was there and thus not a pull for me to return anytime within the next 3-5 years. So yes essentially you've got all that right but looking at Ptero still doesn't make me feel welcome on drop towers!

Rowe said:
I do find it a little strange on how Flamingo Land are following suite from Paultons Park's wonderful idea of Magma, the bouncy rotating tower themed around a volcano/smoke/a raptor animatronic, and briefly Chessington's 'Dino Land'. Don't suppose this is a new trend picking up?

Towers could certainly do with a dinosaur themed area - perhaps to replace the Dark Forest. ;)

What I find odd is that Flamingoland are investing, yet keeping shoosh-shoosh about anything they do. They use little/no social media, and their website is still referring to 2011. No sign of anything to do with 2012 (except ticket prices) at all. A complete contrast to nearby Lightwater Valley who seem to excel with keeping upto date.

I'd still rather go on a Star Flier than a drop tower though ;)

Rowe said:
...looking at Ptero still...

Yay! Sorry, I have a thing about affectionate ride nicknames ;)

Oh deary me. Flamingo Land fail me thinks. This could be worse than Zooom. It looks tacky and fairground style and will undoubtedly be pathetically themed. Another step towards Pleasure Island and the other funfair parks of 'Oop North. :'(

They were doing so well up until Mumbo Jumbo. Loads of shiny new coasters and rides in quick succession, the African and Yellow Submarine themed areas looked great, and then, all of a sudden, disaster.

Funnily enough Mumbo Jumbo is probably the coaster I enjoy most there, I think it's great fun. Unfortunately, it's another ride with absolutely gash throughput, the same theming (thatched roof) as most of the park, it's run like a joke and last time I was there it shut just as I got to the station, because somewhat worryingly part of the ride had "sheared off" to quote the engineer there.

Rupert said:
somewhat worryingly part of the ride had "sheared off" to quote the engineer there.

Their.. colourful.. maintenance procedures are the reason why none of the rides are run at full capacity. That's all that needs to be said.

So, Alton get rid of a Dino area, and everywhere else gets one?

Sounds like a money-making idea for Merlin with all of that left over theming!

This looks like it should be good though.
Flamingoland are really trying to up their game, judging by this project so far!

I can't wait to see what it is.

To be kind to Flamingoland, their game couldn't really get any lower though.

Time for a good old 'Mingo rant. I'm not at all even looking forwards to this apart from to laugh at the dire park organization. Flamingo Land, by all means, prove me wrong but I'm honestly expecting another frustrating balls up. Be honest, what star attractions are there? Kumali is rough and poorly themed. Mumbo Jumbo has dire throughput. Velocity is short and at best, a 'fun' coaster. Wild Mouse is about ready to die. Cliffhanger, Flip Flop and Navigator are abused by the staff to an extent of damage. It's only the Lost River Ride that allows me to visit, but even still, it's not receiving proper maintenance. Ptero will end up the same; thatched roof, whacked with sticks by staff and gradually left to rot. Sorry to be so negative, but the park could be so much more than it is. Extensive refurbishment, staff training and steady investment would create a truly great park, I'm sure.

I think it's Gordon Gibb(?) and maybe his sister, or his sister left to manage Pleasure Island. Either way, I don't think they're dong a very good job of it.

flamingo land

Dar said:
I think it's Gordon Gibb(?) and maybe his sister, or his sister left to manage Pleasure Island. Either way, I don't think they're dong a very good job of it.
So it is independent then... Wasn't sure whether it was part of a group or not. Seems a shame that the ownership seem to not *really* know what they're doing.