• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Flamingo Land: General Discussion

I popped down to Kirby Misperton today on my way to the Moors to have a look at the new coaster. Overall, it's looking pretty good. It makes the park skyline look very busy and it's nice to have a modern looking thrill coaster at the front of the park.

It seems that the dark grey and gold/silver paint scheme hasn't materialised yet, although most of Velocity's supports are now grey. Whatever paint schemes the two coasters end up having, I hope that they are distinct enough that you can tell them apart. I worry that if both have grey supports, they'll just blend into each other. Personally I'm quite partial to the bright yellow supports and deep red track. It really stands out, plus I'm bored of all the muted tones that new UK coasters have been adorned with for the last decade.

WDn6S0i.jpg

QJGLCaz.jpg

4dMniLj.jpg

Last edited:
I love the yellow and dark red, it is nice to have a more vibrantly coloured coaster in the UK for a change! If they end up paining both this and Velocity grey it will be a travisty.

It's absolutely wild that a park in the UK are getting this but because everyone hates the park so much it's barely been mentioned.

Yeah I think the Colossus comparison is probably a bigger deal to most people rather than the fact that it's at 'Mingo - Colossus isn't exactly an enthusiast favourite. This one should actually be a really good ride - possibly in the UK top 5?

I'm also hoping the Mingo effect isn't too pronounced, at least each train has a decent capacity so it should be capable of better throughput than most of their other coasters, even if it's consigned to permanent 1 train operation.

Yeah I think the Colossus comparison is probably a bigger deal to most people rather than the fact that it's at 'Mingo - Colossus isn't exactly an enthusiast favourite. This one should actually be a really good ride - possibly in the UK top 5?

I'm also hoping the Mingo effect isn't too pronounced, at least each train has a decent capacity so it should be capable of better throughput than most of their other coasters, even if it's consigned to permanent 1 train operation.
I think most will agree Mingo have have made some questionable investments in the past - taking out the Wild Mouse for Hero, and installing the huge Flamingo 1 attraction come to mind. However as you say this should be a really solid ride. I haven't been to Flamingo since 2013 so can't comment on the atmosphere/operations!

Most enthusiasts also seem to prefer airtime machines vs inversion-focused coasters, from what I've read on the internet.

Im really looking forward to riding this. Think it has had quite a lot of coverage and very good for Flamingo Land.

Anyone have an idea of when it is scheduled to open?

Agreed. The trains alone should make it a vast improvement on Colossus. It is mad to think that a second hand Intamin 10-looper might end up being better than a new Mack launch!

Looping Star and Thunder Looper had what I called proper lap bars, the bar never clamped you in, you were only held into your seat just by pure G-force going around the loop, if it ever stalled upside down, you would have to kiss your ass good bye.

Didn't one of these style rides stall at the top of the loop once? In France i think it was. I remember seeing it on the news and everyone hanging from the lap bar haha.

Looping Star and Thunder Looper had what I called proper lap bars, the bar never clamped you in, you were only held into your seat just by pure G-force going around the loop, if it ever stalled upside down, you would have to kiss your ass good bye.

That can't be quite right, considering Thunder Looper traversed it's loop backwards the forces weren't trying to pin you into your seat, but the opposite!